1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on passive or active woofer

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by chris, Jan 13, 2001.

1. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi all....

At the moment i use B&W 601 as fronts, CC6 center and cheapy crappy speakers as rears....i eventually want to put the 601's at the rear, but cant decide wheather to buy the 602's or 603's.......

I also have a paradigm PDR10 sub at mo, but it's not very good with music (IMO)...now if i buy the 603's i will havet to re-arange the room to make them fit somewhere...but if i buy the 602's i can put them on the wall....if i was to get a couple of passive subs and wirer them in series with the 602's would this sound as good as the 603's for music? (i could put the sub's each side of the tele), or would i be better off just buying 1 rel Q100...i dont seem to be able to find much info on passive sub's...are there any good makes and how much do they cost??

2. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the passive subs wouldn't have the same slam as an active one.
    am i correct in thinking the 603's have an inbuilt active subwoofer thang below the normal passive woofer

if so this may be better than passive subs
    and take up less
    space

------------------
    'This one's got a bad mmooooooooooooooooootivaaaaaaator (in a very camp voice)'

member formerly known as hank hill

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Jesus H: You're thniking of the 605's mate. 150w of bass power amp built in. Needs a lot of tuning, also drains your pockets at £1,500 a pair!

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'
    MiB 1997

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Regarding the subwoofer: an active sub is a "must" for an AV setup, a passive sub (if you still can find one) would put too much load on the amplification, especially a problem for budget AV amps/receivers with a weak(er) power supply. And this does affect the sound of course.
    If you still insist of connecting it in parallel to the fronts (ie for music listening) you can connect it via high-level input (=speaker level), some REL models even allow to use high and low level at the same time with different controls.
    Though a line-level (RCA/phono) connection would be sufficent if the AV amp/receiver has a proper bass management.

------------------
    Rgds,
    Reiner