• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice on PAN hz1500 vs SAM q95t vs SONY ag9

buddyspudface

Established Member
Hi, as in the title im having a hard time deciding between
Panasonic hg1500
Samsung q95t
Sony ag9
usage would be just for " normal things " no game play,just netflix youtube all4 catchup tv etc. daytime and nighttime viewing.
living room can be made darker during the day with a thing called curtains so not bothered either oled or qled.
reason for change is my old samsung 65inch js9500 looks like it is not coming back from currys and just trying to decide what if any tv offered would most fit the bill.
the only real concern i have is that i suffer from motion sickness if i watch a poor performing tv hence the js9500 which was the 11th tv we tried that year which started at £700 and ended at £3500.
not fused about size.
out of the 3 the samsung seams to be the under dog due to it not even having an 10bit panel. i cant believe thats true as the js9500 which is 5 years old even had one back then.lol
help or guidance from the pro's in here would be most appreciated. thank you

Dodgexander

I'd first decide which technology is suited better:

The Samsung like your current TV is a high end FALD LCD TV whilst the other models are OLED TVs, which is a new display technology.

I wouldn't worry about panel bit depth, it has no consequence at all.

Be aware that right now if you are limited to only buy at Curry's you are only going to be able to buy new 2020 stock. Since new 2020 TVs have only been released (such as the models sans Sony AG9 you picked out) they are current very expensive. It makes little sense to buy one now, and if you have something to tide you over for now until Black Friday when the first big deals start, I'd consider instead waiting to upgrade until then.

buddyspudface

Established Member
thank you for the detailed reply. oled or led both have issues and pro's but the only thing that would put me off any of them at the end is motion quality.
went into currys today just to get a little gander in the flesh,but unfortunately they didnt have the panasonic hz1500 or any panasonic at all on display.very strange.
what iv been trying to find out is also exactly what apps they actually have. i lo e to watch all4 uktv pluto tubi ow and i have emby.

Dodgexander

Panasonic is probably a poor choice if you want to use a plethora of integrated apps. Its app selection isn't as wide as Samsung, LG or Android TVs like Sony's and Philips'. The basic apps are there such as UK catch up TV with Panasonic but I don't think they have an updated Emby app, for example.

Motion is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer OLED motion because there's no motion blur like there is on LCD TVs, but some people prefer one to the other. Unfortunately viewing the TVs in the store is next to pointless even if they have the TVs on display because you won't really have an opportunity to test the TVs with the same content and sources you have at home. Buy from a reputable retailer with a good return policy and good customer service, so if you do buy the TV and you aren't happy with motion, you can return it.

If you consider the average ratings of TVs with motion, most people would rank TVs in this order (best to worst).
Sony/Philips
Panasonic
Samsung/LG

In blind shootouts people prefer Sony and Philips motion, but due to it being subjective, that doesn't mean you won't be fine with any TVs motion. Most people are in fact perfectly happy with motion on their TV when they own a Samsung or LG and some people even say they favor motion that on average is regarded poorer compared to motion that is regarded better.

buddyspudface

Established Member
thanks again for posting,very true with regard " all in the your own eyes " for motion detecting. tv's are massively different in your own home and i would love to be able to just buy a tv,stick it on the wall and watch a movie. for some people thats exactly what they do, myself its more of a huge pain and exhausting experience. i dont wish to be picky i dont wish to take up so much time on what should be quite a simple diversion in life.
modern tvs have really made decisions difficult for the simple folk.( me included of course ). i dont which to be restricted to just 15 minutes of viewing before i start to feel nausea,sea sick,dizzy but i do.i also really dont like bright over saturated blacker than black whiter than white pictures coming from the tv. but that seems to be the way tvs are judged.
its a fine balance to find something thats perfect in my eyes and almost always i end up spending much more than i wanted because of the above.
i do wish curry's would repair my js9500 as in my eyes its the best tv on the planet. it cost me a fortune and to be honest it was worth every penny of £3500.
strange you said panasonic was not the best for apps as i though from what i could find out that it had a good range of apps.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
The Pannys have Prime/Netflix/Rakuten/youtube along with catchups and quite a few other options but if you want more just get a £40 Amazon 4k firestick and use that.

buddyspudface

Established Member
your right of course, i already have a nvidia shield pro 2019 which i have running through a VPN for all the extras you can get through netflix and others.
i am trying to save the world by not using as much magic juice and was hoping to get as many apps as possible in the tv.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I have recently gone through a faulty tv process with Currys and have to say they were very good. I reported the issue with my previous tv (Panny 65" CR852 curved LCD 4k 2015 model) it was 4-1/4 years into a 5yr warranty.

They collected it the next day and on the 5th working day they sent me a text saying the tv was not repairable and had attached an e-voucher giving me back most of what I originally spent which would have got me a new 2019/20 model of similar quality. I ended up wanting an OLED this time so paid the extra and got a Panny 65GZ950 and am really impressed with the set a big improvement on the previous set I had before.Plus got a new 5yr warranty with this set also so a big win win, hope you get a good resolution too.:thumbsup:

buddyspudface

Established Member
wow, thats a great result. as i type this message i am currently in a que on the phone to knowhow trying to get an update on the repair. the music is just so terrible whilst your waiting you want to turn it down but dont want to miss that elusive voice that says " how can i help you" lol
update 49 minutes into the call i got cut off...........
now trying facebook with live chat, from the response so far im the only live part of the chat........
got through on facebook to be told the request from knowhow to samsung regarding availability of new screen is still pending. 5 days pending a reply what are they doing walking to the warehouse in china to ask in person.lol

Last edited:

kbfern

Distinguished Member
The angry was for you getting cut off after 49 mins.:)

ikbol

Standard Member
The Pannys have Prime/Netflix/Rakuten/youtube along with catchups and quite a few other options but if you want more just get a £40 Amazon 4k firestick and use that.
Prob with firetick on my Samsung Q7FAM is the Prime Vid pic from firestick is *much* worse than same pic from on-tv Prime app - even a firestick with ethernet adapter. This is a limiting factor too on iptv apps - Samsung's Appstore is restricted in choice compared with firestick - but on-tv apps are better pic.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom