Advice on open plan cinema room set up

cro55m

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been racking my brains for a whilst as to what equipment to buy for a small cinema area I'm planning on having at the back of a games room. I then stumbled on this forum a few days ago and have spent the last couple of evenings reading countless threads and picking up lots of tips/ideas.

I'd really appreciate some advice from you guys as to what would work.

The whole internal space is 9.1m x 4.45m and I'm looking at a small cinema area, potentially pool table, retro games machine and gin bar with the mezz level being a sort of snug with bean bags for chilling/reading etc. Its also been designed so it could be a 1 bed self contained annex if required however no plans for that at anytime soon.

The cinema area is 3.8m x 2.6m. My initial thoughts are getting a 3 seater sofa across the 2.6m wall and then having a recessed screen which would come down from the ceiling. I've a friend with an Optoma UHD40 so would be happy with something along those lines.
One main concern for me is the room being so open and not having a wall behind where the screen comes down. I've lots of areas for speakers in the ceiling on the left, right and back wall but what's out there for speakers facing the front? Is there anything that could come down from the ceiling with the projector?

Before reading on this forum I hadn't once considered sound proofing, This area is away from the main part of the house so i'm not concerned about noise going to the rest of the house and the neighbors are approx 20 meters away.

I also have the option of converting our main lounge into a cinema room which is fully enclosed however i'd rather utilise this area if I can make it work.

I'm open to changing the area if required, but i've tried various layouts and this seems to work best. Another note is the ceilings are quite low at 2.15m, this was to give as much space above as possible

See pics below of how the room sits and also some high end plans I made on paint 😂, I really appreciate any feedback

Thanks
Mike
20210624_182622.jpg
20210624_182613.jpg

20210624_182651.jpg
Edited plans bedroom at the back.jpg

1. Welcome.
2. That is a cool (not so) little space.
3. You have found the right place for info and directions. I wont say answers because everyone's ideas and needs are different.

So.

You still have quite a few options for your front three speakers.

You could go on-ceiling, in-ceiling or potentially floor standing Left and Rights with a hidden centre.
(I am going to link to models we offer, but there are others out there, it is more to give you an idea)

On-Ceiling, You could go with SVS Elevations or Totem Kin Flex's mounted to the ceiling, but they are angled, so whilst they sit flush to the ceiling the sound / drivers are angled towards the MLP (Main Listening Position). Here is a link to another thread here with the SVS Elevations in place.

In-Ceiling, Much the same idea as On-Ceiling, but obviously hidding within the mezzanine ceiling. These do need quite a bit of depth, but give a great flush look to a room. Some would (and do) argue that it is not going to sound great, but they do, especially the GoldenEar's (linked below). GE did a CEDIA show (our BIG trade show in the US) where they built a complete Atmos Cinema using just in-ceiling HTR's and it was an absolute hit - wowed a lot of people & you can find the reviews online. OSD-Black also make a speaker that does the same thing for a little better pricing.

Finally there is the hybrid option of using floor-standers for your Front Left & Right and either of the in-ceiling / on-ceiling options. Technically, if you stay with the same manufacturers across the LCR fronts, then you go along way to getting performance matching, but there is also a consideration to your budget and desired look. I have mixed Totem Kin's for L & R on a bookshelf with a GE HTR as the centre and it sounded great. At home I also have GE Tritons (L&R) and GE HTR's for Centre and Atmos because our screen drops in front of patio doors, no-one can tell the centre channel is coming from the ceiling.

That is quite a big post, but I hope it helps you with a direction.

Chris, AAC.

Hi Chris,

Many Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I've been into a local AV store near me Today who were very helpful & knowledgeable and I should be able to achieve what I want with in ceiling speakers, this will also keep things looking clean.

Thanks

Sounds good.

There are plenty of us here that would be happy to review what you've been recommended.

When I was running our install buisness, we prided ourselves in being product agnostic, if there was a product that best fitted a solution, we would find it, rather than shoehorn customers into what we had/knew.

So could be good to get another prospectively.

That'd be great. My knowledge in AV is Sonos and Samsung, so this it outwith of my comfort zone, however I've a couple of friends and the AV store all advise similar equipment without me mentioning anything which has given me some confidence that it should be suitable.

However any more information/advice would be great.

Projector Optoma UHD 42
1 x KEF Ci3-80QT
2 x Monitor Audio C165s
2 x Monitor Audio C265s
2 x Monitor Audio C265FX
1 x Dali E-12F Sub or REL T5 or T7
Denon AVR-X2700H or Denon AVC-X3700H

The general rule is not to mix manufacturer or even models in order to keep a tonal balance through the system. So odd that they have mixed KEF and MonitorAudio, especially when there are plenty of KEF in-ceilings that would match the MA models.

Motorised speaker drops are cool. But i feel that you would loose balance / performance when pairs with front left/rights that didn't drop.

TBH, feels like a very middle of the road stock package type for someone who wants an in-ceiling surround / atmos package.

Ok that makes sense.

I thought the point of the centre dropping speaker is to give me the forward facing sound? Can this be achieved by just using non motorised ceiling speakers?

I've seen on previous posts you've got links to the UK, do you have a showroom with the Invisa speakers installed?

It's not a brand I've heard of, which is why I naturally draw to something I've heard like KEF & montior audio

Ok that makes sense.

I thought the point of the centre dropping speaker is to give me the forward facing sound? Can this be achieved by just using non motorised ceiling speakers?

I've seen on previous posts you've got links to the UK, do you have a showroom with the Invisa speakers installed?

It's not a brand I've heard of, which is why I naturally draw to something I've heard like KEF & montior audio
The dropping of the centre is good, but not really in isolation, I would want to do it across all three of the fronts.

I have my personal room, that has the HTR's in for Centre and Atmos use. But I think you are quite a trek away from us, (You are North West?)

Totally understand the brand awareness, OSD Black and GET (GoldenEarTechnologies) both get rave reviews in the States, which is one of the reasons we started AAC, to bring this stuff to the retail market, not just the custom install one.

Okay, So if I got all 3 fronts as KEF-Ci3-80QT what KEF speakers would be best for the mid and rears?

I am in the North West, where abouts are you based?

We are 60mins out of London. So not really realistic.

For KEF I couldn't help much more tbh as we don't deal with them and from what I can see they don't have an in-ceiling fx type speaker.. My go - to for base to mid range solutions would be Monitor Audio, and the models you have been recommended, then up from there it would be GET, with OSD sort of sitting between the two. Both of which would be a great performing system without the need to electrify and move the fronts.

Not sure if anyone else here could give some KEF input.

Swap the Screen and Sofa positions and make your AV system planning and performance far simpler/better - it will also mean you can have sport/music video on the screen when playing pool etc.

Joe

Have you considered other projectors? I see the Optoma model 42 is pushed for gamers. Epson could be better choice for movies.
Amazon product ASIN B07Z44F2DC

Also i would consider other subwoofers as you can do much better in the 500-1k£ range depending were you consider T7x (999£). I see the T7i costs 599£ and generally the T range is more toward music systems. Forget the Dali E-12F woofer, no reason to consider that one. If you want REL product there is the HT range which is more ideal.

Chris could give you good deal for the SVS products. Example the brand new phone app controlled SB1000 Pro in black oak/gloss black or white would be more ideal choice for theater if you looking something compact and good looking. You have to consider the placement carefully too.

"I also have the option of converting our main lounge into a cinema room which is fully enclosed however i'd rather utilise this area if I can make it work."

Personally i would opt for the lounge to build kick ass Atmos system, but i know it would be nicer to have man cave with cinema, other stuff you have planned there. Ideally you would have used the larger part of the room (opposite end) for cinema but probably doesn´t work out.

We are 60mins out of London. So not really realistic.

For KEF I couldn't help much more tbh as we don't deal with them and from what I can see they don't have an in-ceiling fx type speaker.. My go - to for base to mid range solutions would be Monitor Audio, and the models you have been recommended, then up from there it would be GET, with OSD sort of sitting between the two. Both of which would be a great performing system without the need to electrify and move the fronts.

Not sure if anyone else here could give some KEF input.
That's a shame!

Ok so maybe I should be looking at removing the KEF motorised centre speaker with a Monitor Audio then, it was probably my guidance/suggestion thinking I'd need something facing towards me

Swap the Screen and Sofa positions and make your AV system planning and performance far simpler/better - it will also mean you can have sport/music video on the screen when playing pool etc.

Joe
Hi Joe,

The plan was to also put another TV on the wall behind the Pool Table so it could be viewed from outside etc.

Swapping the sofa/projector would give me a wall to build from however it then cuts the room off and some of the potential space for pool etc.

Have you considered other projectors? I see the Optoma model 42 is pushed for gamers. Epson could be better choice for movies.
Amazon product ASIN B07Z44F2DC

Also i would consider other subwoofers as you can do much better in the 500-1k£ range depending were you consider T7x (999£). I see the T7i costs 599£ and generally the T range is more toward music systems. Forget the Dali E-12F woofer, no reason to consider that one. If you want REL product there is the HT range which is more ideal.

Chris could give you good deal for the SVS products. Example the brand new phone app controlled SB1000 Pro in black oak/gloss black or white would be more ideal choice for theater if you looking something compact and good looking. You have to consider the placement carefully too.

"I also have the option of converting our main lounge into a cinema room which is fully enclosed however i'd rather utilise this area if I can make it work."

Personally i would opt for the lounge to build kick ass Atmos system, but i know it would be nicer to have man cave with cinema, other stuff you have planned there. Ideally you would have used the larger part of the room (opposite end) for cinema but probably doesn´t work out.

I haven't really considered other projectors purely because I've had 3 separate sources suggest Optoma. To be honest I'm not bothered about what brand/s I just want the best equipment for the budget. It will purely be for watching Films/Sport.

The company I'm currently talking too is Richer Sounds and I can't fault the guy I was talking too and from looking around they seem to be well priced and offer a 6 year warranty which I'm kean on.

I'm open to changing the Sub, this will be visible so I like the idea of a nice aesthetic designed one, again I'm clueless so i'm going on suggestions from people I know.

I can't help but think the lounge would be better but as it was all re-done only a couple of years ago I really don't want to get it all re done if I can help it.

That's a shame!

Ok so maybe I should be looking at removing the KEF motorised centre speaker with a Monitor Audio then, it was probably my guidance/suggestion thinking I'd need something facing towards me
This is why the OSD (a better price match) & GET's would work so well, all their drivers are already angled within the housing, by about 15 degrees, so you can point them towards you.

You would only need the front three and optionally the middle ones, if you were going with atmos. The rears wouldn't really benefit from being angled.

Just going to see if OSD do an FX equivalent.

This is why the OSD (a better price match) & GET's would work so well, all their drivers are already angled within the housing, by about 15 degrees, so you can point them towards you.

You would only need the front three and optionally the middle ones, if you were going with atmos. The rears wouldn't really benefit from being angled.

Just going to see if OSD do an FX equivalent.
If you don't mind sending links/costs and detail which speakers would be suited where and i'll have a look. I need to make a decision of which way to go soon, so I can progress

'Swapping the sofa/projector would give me a wall to build from' - having worked on a few similar rooms, I can't see what the issue would be vs. trying to create a 'surround' sound experience (which unfortunately you could struggle with) with speakers in free space and spending half your budget on making things pop out of the ceiling!

I would also could consider an acoustic curtain where the Mezzanine ends to close off the space when it is in 'movie' mode' - that would also allow you to consider an Atmos system with Surrounds on the side walls!

If the ceiling wasn't so low you could throw in a golf sim too!

Joe

'Swapping the sofa/projector would give me a wall to build from' - having worked on a few similar rooms, I can't see what the issue would be vs. trying to create a 'surround' sound experience (which unfortunately you could struggle with) with speakers in free space and spending half your budget on making things pop out of the ceiling!

I would also could consider an acoustic curtain where the Mezzanine ends to close off the space when it is in 'movie' mode' - that would also allow you to consider an Atmos system with Surrounds on the side walls!

If the ceiling wasn't so low you could throw in a golf sim too!

Joe

You can't see what the issue if with swapping the sofa & projector round or can't see an issue with just using fixed ceiling speakers?

I've had further feedback correspondence back from the guy at Richer Sounds and has spoken to some installers who advise against the motorized speakers as they're a nightmare and to get angled speakers which goes back to what American Audio has advised.

I would definitely be up for an acoustic curtain, this would remove any light and wouldn't impact on space either.

I love golf and I've completely missed a trick as I never even contemplated this, I'm slighty gutted now

Layout - I’d favour swapping the sofa and screen from your original configuartion.

In-ceiling - any time we have to go In-ceiling we use Atlantic Technilogy for Front LCR, Atlantic Technology IC-6HT - The Media Factory

Golf-sim may still be possible (again if you switch things around) as long as you have enough height to swing the club and assuming the pool table is on castors.

Joe

Layout - I’d favour swapping the sofa and screen from your original configuartion.

In-ceiling - any time we have to go In-ceiling we use Atlantic Technilogy for Front LCR, Atlantic Technology IC-6HT - The Media Factory

Golf-sim may still be possible (again if you switch things around) as long as you have enough height to swing the club and assuming the pool table is on castors.

Joe
Cheers Joe,

I'll have another play around with the configuration later.
Although the plan is to have a pool table, when push comes to shove I may not get one. A golf Sim I'd definitely use.

More food for thought for me

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom