Advice on next camera please!

Oleg McNoleg

Novice Member
New to photo forum. Looking to potentially update my main camera, I was hoping the knowledgeable amongst you can advise based on my needs :

Currently own an Olympus OMD e-m10 MK1 which I like for it's pocket size and great features. It just doesn't take top notch images, compared with full sized sensor SLRs.

I tend to photograph sport, eg rugby and Motorsport, family or social grab shots, wildlife, car shows - so generally moving targets but portraits sometimes and plenty of travel landscapes / cityscapes.

It's important that the camera is compact and portable so will accept some compromise on image quality but just want the next best.

Not wanting to spend a fortune, I am looking at used or Nearly new, which of course is the sustainable way! So over £500 might be hard to justify to the domestic budget police unless it's a really great deal

Was considering an EM5 MK2 or possibly MK3, I think an EM1 MK2 might be too bulky. Pen-f looks pricey for what you get. I just have doubts if the 4/3 format is worth sticking with.

Any advice or pointers would be most welcome.

Last edited:

AMc

Distinguished Member
I went from the Olympus OM-D E-M10 to the E-M10 mark 2.
There's a substantial difference in stabilisation, better EVF and screen and various other improvements that made it much nicer to use.
This was my last motorsport outing several years ago for various reasons.

The mark 3 & 4 didn't offer enough to make me pay to upgrade.

The PEN-F is a pretty camera but doesn't offer much that more to you than the M10ii for your purposes and even used they're still expensive.

This link will show you the cameras next to one another - the M5 is a little larger, the M1 is a fair bit bigger but smaller than a full frame DSLR.

It depends on what lenses you are using if the body is too big, balancing the 12-40mm F2.8 on my E-M10ii is OK but it isn't that compact. The 75-300mm is quite manageable but you are compromising the size to get the telephoto reach.

A full frame sensor DSLR is likely to be bigger but the lenses are going to be a lot bigger - which is just the physics of focusing a larger area. They're also likely to be more expensive.

If your problem with the E-M10 is focus speed then go for one of the cameras with On-chip Phase Detection AF - the E-M5 iii and E-M1 ii both have it.

snerkler

Distinguished Member
New to photo forum. Looking to potentially update my main camera, I was hoping the knowledgeable amongst you can advise based on my needs :

Currently own an Olympus OMD e-m10 MK1 which I like for it's pocket size and great features. It just doesn't take top notch images, compared with full sized sensor SLRs.

I tend to photograph sport, eg rugby and Motorsport, family or social grab shots, wildlife, car shows - so generally moving targets but portraits sometimes and plenty of travel landscapes / cityscapes.

It's important that the camera is compact and portable so will accept some compromise on image quality but just want the next best.

Not wanting to spend a fortune, I am looking at used or Nearly new, which of course is the sustainable way! So over £500 might be hard to justify to the domestic budget police unless it's a really great deal

Was considering an EM5 MK2 or possibly MK3, I think an EM1 MK2 might be too bulky. Pen-f looks pricey for what you get. I just have doubts if the 4/3 format is worth sticking with.

Any advice or pointers would be most welcome.
This is a tricky one as you're kind of asking for the holy grail, something I've been after myself for a long time and not yet succeeded. What I mean by this is that you're wanting a camera capable of everything but still small enough to fit in your pocket, unfortunately this doesn't exist.

From my experience m4/3 is the best compromise, still great image quality but much less bulk. That being said for sports and wildlife you'll likely want a telephoto lens, which is never going to to pocketable (unless we're talking superzoom compacts).

Also you need to think about the autofocus system, earlier Olympus cameras just aren't good enough (imo) for tracking sports, wildlife etc. The EM1-II was the first that was 'good enough' so I would consider this, or the EM5-III, however the latter won't be as balanced to hold with the longer bigger lenses.

Is M4/3 worth sticking with? This is an album with my favourite shots I've take with Olympus M4/3

Compare this with my favourite shots taken with Nikon Full Frame

And Sony Full Frame

Not a lot of difference in them imo.

Oleg McNoleg

Novice Member
Thank you both for some exceptionally helpful advice. I am already addicted to the size comparison app, I liked the photo collections and it does seem some great stuff is possible with an OMD. I will probably have to look at my own technique too :confused:
My size issue (so to speak) is that with the pancake lens the EM10 fits in a jacket pocket. I carry a zoom in another pocket (the 40-150) and do a quick switch. Though the EM1 is a lovely thing to behold, I worry that it might just be that bit more bulky to discourage me from carrying it round. Also probably far more features than I need!
I had almost convinced myself to move away from OMD but since your advice I am more inclined to vote remain!

AMc

Distinguished Member
The only way to know if the M1 or M5 are too big is to go and hold one in a real camera store - if you can.
Not sure I'd bother with the M5 mark II without PDAF for sports?
I've held the M1 series and they're just a little too big for me.

IF I were in the market the I think the M5 mark III would be my choice now.
You seem to be able to pick one up for under £700.

This site is a great resource for hunting used photography stuff

- probably the cheapest improvement you would get would be to trade the Mark 1 M10 against a M10 Mark II (or M5 mark II)

MPB will give you a free quote - and they're a forum sponsor. Other used retailers will do too.

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Thank you both for some exceptionally helpful advice. I am already addicted to the size comparison app, I liked the photo collections and it does seem some great stuff is possible with an OMD. I will probably have to look at my own technique too :confused:
My size issue (so to speak) is that with the pancake lens the EM10 fits in a jacket pocket. I carry a zoom in another pocket (the 40-150) and do a quick switch. Though the EM1 is a lovely thing to behold, I worry that it might just be that bit more bulky to discourage me from carrying it round. Also probably far more features than I need!
I had almost convinced myself to move away from OMD but since your advice I am more inclined to vote remain!
Anything over the EM10 is not pocketable imo, not comfortably so anyway. I've struggled with the ideal way to carry a camera for years so that it's not cumbersome and not in the way, yet easily accessible.

I used a sling strap for years and it was a good solution, although regardless of the type/make of strap I used it did always swing about and could become a pain in certain situations. I've recently changed to one of these sling bags, and whilst it's a little less convenient compared to a sling strap for that "instant availability" it's no less 'instant' than getting the camera out of your pocket. I've not found the sling bag a chore at all. YMMV

(I paid much less than this for it)

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom