Advice On New TV

flymi

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

New here and just looking for some advice from the pros :D.

I'm currently in the process of signing off on a flat, and decided it would be a good time to treat myself to a decent TV. My current set is a 40" Samsung mu6400, which is fine for a bedroom TV (and will be staying that way), but I want something better now I have my own living room.

I think i've decided on either the Sony A80J, LG C1 or Samsung QN94A, 65" (can't bring myself to spend £3000+ for the 77"), although with the Samsung cashback deal it is an option to go bigger. But i'm a bit torn. First concern is whether the OLED's would work in the position the TV will be in, due to brightness and reflections. If so I will probably discount the Samsung from the decision anyway. And if so which of the OLED's is better. Will be used for Ps5, Sky Q and Netflix/Disney+/Prime.

Window is north facing.

This is the room it's going into

116347_P4413D5208_IMG_01_0000.jpeg

it will be on the right side of this picture as that is where the Sky connections etc are, and will probably have 2 sofas on the left, one at a bit of an angle. I will have curtains on the wall, but I don't really want to have them closed whenever I'm watching tele, I like to have light in and the windows open (when British weather allows it).

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
If you like to watch with lights on, or during the day with the curtains open it negates the main disadvantage to LCD TVs which is poorer light control. Most people would save money, or alternatively go for a bigger LCD TV in your situation. The good thing about LCD TVs is they can get a lot brighter, which can make for HDR in particular to be striking.

That's not to say though that an OLED won't be okay in your viewing conditions. The newer models, especially the 2021 ones with the EVO panel like the Sony A80J can get even brighter, and are fine for most rooms.

Gotta remember the reason modern TVs get bright isn't for bright rooms, its for HDR. These TVs can all get more than bright enough for normal viewing, and a lot brighter than your old TV. Contrary to what people say, OLEDs do okay in bright rooms, and are good at fighting glare..even though LCD TVs do better in this respect.

If you like to watch with lights on, or during the day with the curtains open it negates the main disadvantage to LCD TVs which is poorer light control. Most people would save money, or alternatively go for a bigger LCD TV in your situation. The good thing about LCD TVs is they can get a lot brighter, which can make for HDR in particular to be striking.

That's not to say though that an OLED won't be okay in your viewing conditions. The newer models, especially the 2021 ones with the EVO panel like the Sony A80J can get even brighter, and are fine for most rooms.

Gotta remember the reason modern TVs get bright isn't for bright rooms, its for HDR. These TVs can all get more than bright enough for normal viewing, and a lot brighter than your old TV. Contrary to what people say, OLEDs do okay in bright rooms, and are good at fighting glare..even though LCD TVs do better in this respect.

Hey, thanks for the reply. This is why I was a bit confused though, as during the week I start work early. Which means watching TV in the afternoon and being asleep as it gets dark. So don't really want the curtains closed between 1-8pm lol. But the weekends I like to watch a movie in the evening at which point the curtains will be shut with maybe a lamp on. Would Qled still be better in this situation?

I have read that the brightness of Oleds is underplayed alot on the internet, but I was abit worried about that big window constantly reflecting on the screen.

Thanks for the help.

Even with a lamp on in the room you'd be hard pressed to be critical of LCD light control, its really in darker conditions where OLEDs are a lot better in this area.

There are other differences of course, OLEDs can dim on a per pixel basis, so the picture can look more refined, they also have next to no motion blur.

LCD TVs on the other hand can be striking and bright with HDR, which some people really like compared to the refinement.

The thing is, as you go up in size OLEDs gradually get more expensive. At 65" already LCD TVs that almost match OLEDs in price at 55" are more expensive, and as you get to 75" (77 in the case of OLED) prices start to become crazy.

So really, if you can fit and afford a larger LCD TV, as long as you're buying something decent such as the Sony XH9505 or Samsung Q90T/Q95T then you're getting much more value for money than you would an OLED.

QLED is marketing for LCD TVs btw, they aren't special or anything.

Even with a lamp on in the room you'd be hard pressed to be critical of LCD light control, its really in darker conditions where OLEDs are a lot better in this area.

There are other differences of course, OLEDs can dim on a per pixel basis, so the picture can look more refined, they also have next to no motion blur.

LCD TVs on the other hand can be striking and bright with HDR, which some people really like compared to the refinement.

The thing is, as you go up in size OLEDs gradually get more expensive. At 65" already LCD TVs that almost match OLEDs in price at 55" are more expensive, and as you get to 75" (77 in the case of OLED) prices start to become crazy.

So really, if you can fit and afford a larger LCD TV, as long as you're buying something decent such as the Sony XH9505 or Samsung Q90T/Q95T then you're getting much more value for money than you would an OLED.

QLED is marketing for LCD TVs btw, they aren't special or anything.

Thanks! You've basically confirmed some of the doubts I had in the back of my mind about OLED, still looks awesome but not sure it would suit me. Guess i'll pick up a 75" Samsung Q94A.

I was looking for some of the options in the value 2020-21 thread, but can't seem to find many of last years models left. Like the Sony XH9505. Not from somewhere i'd happily give that sort of money anyway.

One last question, is calibration more an OLED thing, or does it benefit LCD alot aswel? I think I noticed one of the calibrators on here is from Leicester aswell.

Irrespective of where you buy a Sony XH9505 from it carries a 5year Sony warranty.

True, i'm just picky about where I spend money if I don't know them. Only place I can seem to find them is Hughes and Crampton+Moore. Neither of which I have heard off.

Is there much of a difference with mini LED? Would current Samsung TV's be a big difference over these Sony? As it's only a few hundred more for a 2021 Samsung v 2020 Sony after the cashback.

If you can help it don't go for a 2021 model right now. Prices are still high on them, much better to try and pick up a 2020 model instead.

I think when I last looked John Lewis had stock of the 75" XH9505, and Samsung still had stock of the Q90/Q95T on their website.

If you do want a 2021 model, for example you want HDMI 2.1 features for gaming, then you're going to have to pay a premium this time of year. May be best delaying the purchase until black friday or later if that's the case.

MiniLED is not a game-changer really, LCD TVs are limited by the size of the zones behind the TV, not the LEDs. It can help with some TVs, but there are non-MiniLED models that are better than MiniLED ones so its not a great deal. Not to be confused with MicroLED which is a game-changer in the LCD TV world.

If you can help it don't go for a 2021 model right now. Prices are still high on them, much better to try and pick up a 2020 model instead.

I think when I last looked John Lewis had stock of the 75" XH9505, and Samsung still had stock of the Q90/Q95T on their website.

If you do want a 2021 model, for example you want HDMI 2.1 features for gaming, then you're going to have to pay a premium this time of year. May be best delaying the purchase until black friday or later if that's the case.

MiniLED is not a game-changer really, LCD TVs are limited by the size of the zones behind the TV, not the LEDs. It can help with some TVs, but there are non-MiniLED models that are better than MiniLED ones so its not a great deal. Not to be confused with MicroLED which is a game-changer in the LCD TV world.

Ideally I'd want 1 HDMI 2.1 for the Ps5, but don't need more than that, as this TV would ideally last at least the lifespan of the Ps5. Is 2.1 a 2021 only feature?

Unfortunately Samsung are showing out of stock for both, and John Lewis only have the 48".

I guess im just buying at the wrong time. I've never liked black friday, whenever i've waited for it in the past nothing I want ever goes on sale anyway, but the stuff I don't care about gets big discounts! lol.

Micro Led is a few years away yet correct? And probably longer to be affordable?

True, i'm just picky about where I spend money if I don't know them. Only place I can seem to find them is Hughes and Crampton+Moore. Neither of which I have heard off.

Is there much of a difference with mini LED? Would current Samsung TV's be a big difference over these Sony? As it's only a few hundred more for a 2021 Samsung v 2020 Sony after the cashback.
Both established independent retailers, Hughes a small East Anglia chain, C&M a few stores in Yorkshire

stick on conduit and extend the cables haha,

ive just gone from bdget lcd to oled, there is a massive difference in quality,

i was all but ready to buy a £1000 65"led but decided 55" oled just for better quality, it has more reflective glare side on during the day, but straight on viewing is fine, i suppose its a compromise and what/when you watch. i went down in size for better image rather than bigger and possible pixelated viewing. i paid £1299 for my 55" lg c1 fro richersounds last week

Both established independent retailers, Hughes a small East Anglia chain, C&M a few stores in Yorkshire

In which case, this is the cheapest I can find.

Is this the correct model? The KD infront confused me a bit. Also doesn't seem to have any 2.1 ports unfortunatly. I would ideally like at least 1 for the PS5.

stick on conduit and extend the cables haha,

ive just gone from bdget lcd to oled, there is a massive difference in quality,

i was all but ready to buy a £1000 65"led but decided 55" oled just for better quality, it has more reflective glare side on during the day, but straight on viewing is fine, i suppose its a compromise and what/when you watch. i went down in size for better image rather than bigger and possible pixelated viewing. i paid £1299 for my 55" lg c1 fro richersounds last week

Ah nice, glad to see your enjoying it! Ye for me it would probably be either 65" OLED or 75" LCD. Just not sure I'd get much benefit from the OLED with how I tend to watch TV. I've never been one to sit in the dark.

no me either tbh,

i have led back lighting behind the tv but quite happily will have a lamp on too.

think the biggest thing for me was to get a really clear image, its so hard going looking in shops as its not a true representation, i did get chance to see a 1500 qled next to a 1500 oled both same size and the oled looked better in shop with better viewing angle, i would have loved to have gone 65" though had i had the budget

no me either tbh,

i have leg back lighting behind the tv but quite happily will have a lamp on too.

think the biggest thing for me was to get a really clear image, its so hard going looking in shops as its not a true representation, i did get chance to see a 1500 qled next to a 1500 oled both same size and the oled looked better in shop with better viewing angle, i would have loved to have gone 65" though had i had the budget

Interesting, Tbh i've just seen Dodgexander post this in another thread, and now I'm very tempted again haha. Bit more than I was planning to spend, but it's a very tempting option haha.

Think I've decided between this or the Sony X9505. Just gotta decide how tight i'm feeling. Although lack of any HDMI 2.1 is putting me off.

Agreed. Hughes is a very reliable company of long standing based here in Norwich. They have considerable stock in their main store and warehouse. I bought a soundbar from them recently. Stocks of 2020 models are now running low everywhere.

In which case, this is the cheapest I can find.

Is this the correct model? The KD infront confused me a bit. Also doesn't seem to have any 2.1 ports unfortunatly. I would ideally like at least 1 for the PS5.
Yes, the XH is the important bit. 9505 doesn’t have hdmi 2.1 but is better than the 9005 that does

No idea, I don’t game. I wanted better quality for HDR/higher quality material.

Have you read this?

No idea, I don’t game. I wanted better quality for HDR/higher quality material

Ah ok. Well i ordered it anyway. I use my pc for most games anyway, only really play Fifa and playstation exclusives on ps5 so decided 4k 60hz should be enough.

£1,699 for the 75" from Hughes. Hopefully I don't find it too big! Haha. I'll probably look to upgrade again when this microLED thing becomes practical.

Good decision, you can put the money towards upgrading sooner, later...if you don't spend it on a soundbar that is ;).

Good decision, you can put the money towards upgrading sooner, later...if you don't spend it on a soundbar that is ;).

Haha, ye havn't decided on that yet. See what the sound is like when I get it. Like I say, probably look for my next upgrade when this microLED thing becomes affordable.

Thanks for the help.

Yeah MicroLED, if successful will be a big hit. The problem is getting the screen sizes small enough.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom