Advice on new speakers for my set-up?

kevjf

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, thanks for reading… Wondering if anybody has got any advice, set-up similarities, suggestions for a speaker upgrade for my system. The speakers feel like the weakest link at the moment, along with the turntable.

The system is:

CXA-60 Amplifier
CXC CD transport
Rega 2 Planar
BluOS Node 2i
Dali Zensor 3 speakers

I’m looking to slowly upgrade my kit piece by piece and probably could spend up to a grand.

I’ve been eyeing up a pair of B&W 606s, the L50s or JBL L52s. Along with a Rega P2, or P6, not necessarily at the same time.

We listen to a lot of jazz, electronica, alternative music… Along with Peppa Pig :D :D

Any thoughts most appreciated. Thanks!

Dali Oberon 5 might be an alternative, if you got room for them. They aren’t so large as most floor standing speakers.

If not the excellent Oberon 3 is fine choice. Then similar QA, Wharfdale stand mounted speakers in the same price class could also work.

The silver 50, 100 from Monitor Audio.

The amplifier, not familiar with it. The LS50 needs an amplifier with a lot of power. Around 100 watts.

I think..if it were me...I'd probably up the amp before the speakers.....if you're planning on going through your whole system....A amp upgrade will open up more options for the speaker upgrade down the line, where as a speaker up grade just now will limit your options, think pmc, atc, higher end kef and dynaudio speakers, will all demand good amplification to perform at near there best and excellent amplification to perform there best.

Still the CXA-60 with matching speakers can sound great.

Hi folks, thanks for reading… Wondering if anybody has got any advice, set-up similarities, suggestions for a speaker upgrade for my system. The speakers feel like the weakest link at the moment, along with the turntable.

The system is:

CXA-60 Amplifier
CXC CD transport
Rega 2 Planar
BluOS Node 2i
Dali Zensor 3 speakers

I’m looking to slowly upgrade my kit piece by piece and probably could spend up to a grand.

I’ve been eyeing up a pair of B&W 606s, the L50s or JBL L52s. Along with a Rega P2, or P6, not necessarily at the same time.

We listen to a lot of jazz, electronica, alternative music… Along with Peppa Pig :D :D

Any thoughts most appreciated. Thanks!
Trust me on this, Focal Aria 906, they work fantastically well with the cambridge cx60 and they are superb with jazz recordings and electronic. You can pick up a pair of the walnut finish from Richers for £749. Build quality is excellent, and at the mo you get a free pair of AKG headphones.

There is a sound demo on Youtube to give you some idea of the sound character of the 906 against the B&W 706. Listen on good quality headphone if you can.

Last edited:
Focal Aria 906, they work fantastically well with the cambridge cx60
Agree with this. The amp will be fine with any reasonably sensitive speakers and the focal are very sensitive. They should also be a noticeable step up.
I also agree that the LS50 and your amp probably wouldn't be a great match.

An audition is vital, of course. Speakers sound profile is such a subjective thing.

Thanks everybody, I’ll check out the audio comparison with the focal speakers. I know it’s not the most top level amp out there but I really like the sound and it’s integration with the CD transport. So upgrading that means two pieces of kit not just one. Suspect I’ll be up at the £2k mark for both. I’ll bear in mind the comments on needing more power for the L50s… Any experience of the JBLs?

Trust me on this, Focal Aria 906, they work fantastically well with the cambridge cx60 and they are superb with jazz recordings and electronic. You can pick up a pair of the walnut finish from Richers for £749. Build quality is excellent, and at the mo you get a free pair of AKG headphones.

There is a sound demo on Youtube to give you some idea of the sound character of the 906 against the B&W 706. Listen on good quality headphone if you can.

Thanks! I’ll definitely check them out.. They hadn’t crossed my radar… 👍🏻

JBL, since you can get them where they sell refrigerators I don’t know if I can take them seriously.

Then again Yamaha you can get everywhere.

QA Concept 20, should be considered. Epically for jazz. Smooth...

Since Focal is mentioned-Triangle should be considered. Both made in France.

Titanium tweeter on Triangle. Not my choice, yours may be different.

JBL, since you can get them where they sell refrigerators I don’t know if I can take them seriously.

Then again Yamaha you can get everywhere.
I think they're just both companies that are big enough and well established enough to cover multiple sections of the market. I know what you mean though.

Most of time the usually suspect are suggested when in comes to which speaker to buy.

There are many alternative speakers out here too.

Phonar, Audio Physic as few examples. Not sure they make stand mounted speakers

B&W are to forward my taste. However if you like the sound to be fast, engaging then try them.

Sorry, for editing my posts. I write too fast, most of time. Get to few audio shops and listen for yourself.

Ours suggestions only get you so far, you need to listen your self. Usually most of time people end up with speakers they usually don’t even have considered to buy.

I have the CXA61 - update to the 60, but similar sound profile. I have it currently driving Ophidian Audio Mojos (the Mk1 - recently they've released the Mk2) and they deliver a lovely sound (I also listen to a lot of jazz). They might be a little over your budget, but if you can get an audition of them, I think they'd be worth considering.

Personally I’d go used all the way with speakers.

The CA has a fine current out and can drive speakers better than many seem to think.

A long drive but these are a bargain.

As are these. Original packing so arranging your own courier won’t be a problem.

A cheeky offer on these would be worth a shot indeed.

And

These are something of a modern legend and an excellent price, though you may again need to arrange your own courier.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
If you’re definitely after standmounts, then for your budget you’d struggle to beat these. Especially for Peppa Pig.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Or better again, brand new at a silly price.

And magnificently priced if you trade in your Dalis.

Wow! Thanks everybody… I must admit I’m a little bit overwhelmed! 😂

Raises lots of questions…

I’m intrigued by the value of second hand gear but worried as to how you audition…

I’m also intrigued by floor standers but to be convinced on their scale… The space is not just a music listening room, although it is mainly, and is a bit awkward to decide on position, it’s also only about 3.2 x 4m… Don’t know if there is a guidance on the size of rooms these things suit, might be a bit over-scaled.

Need to track down a good dealer near Birmingham where I can try some speakers out, ideally the B&Ws along with maybe the Focal, maybe Triangle… Lots to consider…

What are peoples experiences with buying and returning? I’d be very keen to try at home…

Sevenoaks in Solihull have a sale on at the mo’

Think that comparison video has just convinced me that I want a pair of those B&W 706 S2s…! 😂

Sevenoaks in Solihull have a sale on at the mo’

Yeah i was literally just looking at those…

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom