Question Advice on new soundbar to replace Yamaha YSP2500

RobYorkshire

Novice Member
Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice on what new soundbar I should be looking to buy.

My current set up is a Panasonic TX42AS650B and a Yamaha YSP 2500 which are running Sky Q, PS4 (soon to be PS5 hopefully!), Nintendo Switch.

I've always been really happy with the sound from the YSP2500 but the system connector port got damaged accidently by my son a while back so I've had to revert to using wireless to connect the sub. I get regular dropouts using wireless for the sub which seems to be a common fault with the 2500.

My son is now wanting a bigger TV in the spare room so he can have the PS4 in there so I'm thinking of giving him the Panasonic and Yamaha and investing in something new for the living room.

For the TV, I'm looking at the Sony XH9505 in 49". I can't go any bigger and I'm going to struggle to convince the OH that we need a 49" TV but it seems like that is the minimum I should be looking for if I want 4k HDR.

As for the soundbar, I've no idea what to replace the Yamaha with. The sound quality of the 2500 is great and I don't want to take a backwards step. It's attempts at 7 channel surround are really good so I want something that will at least match it without having to add extra rear speakers. I've looked at the Sonos arc but by the time you add the sub, it gets quite expensive. Ideally, I don't want to spend more than £7-800 but will push that a bit or will even look at refurbished to get within budget.

Any recommendations will be gratefully received!

Thanks,

keithwiggins

Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice on what new soundbar I should be looking to buy.

My current set up is a Panasonic TX42AS650B and a Yamaha YSP 2500 which are running Sky Q, PS4 (soon to be PS5 hopefully!), Nintendo Switch.

I've always been really happy with the sound from the YSP2500 but the system connector port got damaged accidently by my son a while back so I've had to revert to using wireless to connect the sub. I get regular dropouts using wireless for the sub which seems to be a common fault with the 2500.

My son is now wanting a bigger TV in the spare room so he can have the PS4 in there so I'm thinking of giving him the Panasonic and Yamaha and investing in something new for the living room.

For the TV, I'm looking at the Sony XH9505 in 49". I can't go any bigger and I'm going to struggle to convince the OH that we need a 49" TV but it seems like that is the minimum I should be looking for if I want 4k HDR.

As for the soundbar, I've no idea what to replace the Yamaha with. The sound quality of the 2500 is great and I don't want to take a backwards step. It's attempts at 7 channel surround are really good so I want something that will at least match it without having to add extra rear speakers. I've looked at the Sonos arc but by the time you add the sub, it gets quite expensive. Ideally, I don't want to spend more than £7-800 but will push that a bit or will even look at refurbished to get within budget.

Any recommendations will be gratefully received!

Thanks,
lots of choice from samsungs/klipsch/jbl etc it really comes down to what feature that you value and how you like the sound quality, ideally you could do with listening to several before you part with your hard earned, failing that its really down to looking through the review sections.

RobYorkshire

Novice Member
Thanks for your reply. I'm looking for something that has a good go at creating virtual surround without having to add rear speakers. Ideally something with Dolby Atmos.

The review for the Samsung Q800T looks good. It has a feature where it pairs with the speakers of some Q series TV's to supposedly improve the sound. Has anyone tried this feature? As I'm going to be replacing the TV too, it may be worth getting a TV that has this feature but the Q series TV's that have it are around £1000 which is a bit more than I want to pay but could stretch to if it's a massive improvement

keithwiggins

Thanks for your reply. I'm looking for something that has a good go at creating virtual surround without having to add rear speakers. Ideally something with Dolby Atmos.

The review for the Samsung Q800T looks good. It has a feature where it pairs with the speakers of some Q series TV's to supposedly improve the sound. Has anyone tried this feature? As I'm going to be replacing the TV too, it may be worth getting a TV that has this feature but the Q series TV's that have it are around £1000 which is a bit more than I want to pay but could stretch to if it's a massive improvement
tv speakers are not really very good, so appreciate its potentially a feature but wouldnt think it would do much to enhance the sound from a better sounding samsung bar, more likely to make the overall presentation worse, its a clever concept of course.

Generalfoz

Novice Member
Interested in this too. Exact same position. Researched this to death. Looked at JBL, Denon, lg and Sonos. Also tempted with the naim muso 2 at 1200 it is pricey but seems a beast.

keithwiggins

Interested in this too. Exact same position. Researched this to death. Looked at JBL, Denon, lg and Sonos. Also tempted with the naim muso 2 at 1200 it is pricey but seems a beast.
the muso is a great speaker compared it when looking into the beosound stage, the naim was a bit better for music but limited scale when it comes to watching a movie. The Naim sound like a single point speaker a very good one of course. The Stage creates a far wider and higher soundstage, both are excellent at what they do.
as always sound will be down to room acoustics and your ears.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom