Advice on new sound setup needed

Robstar

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm rather a novice at this, so you'll have to excuse me...

I currently have a Toshiba SD-100E DVD player connected to a Sony SA-VA55 Doly Surround active speaker system. I'm now replacing the SD-100E with an SD-510E and I'm thinking of replacing the speaker system with a new set up.

I'm looking for advice on what would be a good replacement for the SA-VA55. The great thing about that system is that the rear satellite speakers are infrared, so there's no need to have cables running half way round the room. I would much prefer that whatever I replace it with can do the same.

I want something that copes with THX, DTS and Dolby Digital. I guess as well as an amp, I need new speakers as the SA-VA55s have an amp inside them which I won't be able to bypass. I don't want to spend a massive amount of money either.

TIA!

Hi

THX is not a format in its own right but rather a post processing mode. THX certified amplifiers & receivers tend to be on the expensive side as well.

What sort of budget are you looking at spending??

Hmmm... The least the better for a good set up, but I'd prefer less than say £800. To be honest, I really don't know. I don't want to spend too little and then end up spending what will be a false economy. Anything made by Sony would be good. I can get it real cheap :)

I´m not too knowledgeable of the Sony range to be honest, so hopefully others will offer Sony advice.

Its worth checking out some of the amps/receivers from Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, Harmon Kardon. They have them to suit all budgets.

For speakers have a look at Kef, Mission, Tannoy, or even Yamaha, again, they have models/packages to suit all budgets. For subwoofers try the Paradigm range, good subs for not a lot of money.

I´m sure you´ll get some other suggestions.

cheers

Just finnishing my first propper HC and I went Yamaha amp (so happy with it....sounds the dogs) Yamaha sub (not a rel but shakes like elvis)... Cresta 1 Front and Cresta 2 rears ( which I find Excellent for Movies and music) Cresta center..

Not expensive but i think sound DA BOMB!!!

plenty of people on here to help you out.. and I wish when I started i had £800 to spend...:eek: :D

Originally posted by Robstar
. Anything made by Sony would be good. I can get it real cheap :)
Is an STR-DB1070 @£299.99 cheap enough?If it is you can pick them up from rs if your quick.the silver ones are starting to be hard to find though.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom