1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on New Setup

Discussion in 'TVs' started by iaTa, Mar 11, 2005.

1. iaTa

iaTa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi guys,

First of all I just want to say how top notch this community is. I have learnt so much in the past few days and it's all thanks to you. Now for my problems... I had pretty much decided that I was going to buy a Panni PW7 50" so that I was HD ready - good job I found AVForums that's all I can say! I can't beleive Panasonic have made such a big boo boo with the HDMI cards :suicide:

Instead I have decided a nice big CRT will do me until HD is properly mainstream and prices have dropped. I currently rent a 32" PD30 and i have to say it's pretty slick. For that reason I have decided to go for a 36" PD50. I had a look at the Toshiba's yesterday and the picture quality was spot on - the only thing that puts me off is the TV's styling - it looks like it's come out of the 70's! The PD50 on the other hand has lovely looks. For an amp I'm looking at the Denon 3805. With Sky+ being installed on Saturday - do you think this would be a good setup?

There are a few things I'm not that sure about and I would be grateful for any advice:

1) Is there any difference between a TX36PD50C and a TX36PD50 - what is the C for?

2) What speakers to get with the Denon amp. I assume the Denon SYS-A3L would just not get the most out of the amp? I don't want big speakers (I'm in a flat and the neighbours get annoyed enough as it is!) but I want to get a good quality/price ratio.

3) Would it make any difference if I purchase a JS Tech RGB to component convertor and put Sky+ through the Denon into the PD50's component in (compared to RGB scart from Sky+ straight to PD50)?

4) On that note I have read that some people have had problems with their blacks when using RGB into the PD50. Does this effect every PD50 or is it only some faulty units? Is it bad enough to stop using RGB and would the JS Tech converter solve the problem?

Thanks in advance...

Ben

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    1) I have the PD30 and likewise some retailers added extra letters after it but they didnt stand for anything

2) They would certainly not show off your system to its best. MS Geni or Mission M-cube are both decent sat/sub setups for arround the £1000 mark full price. If you look at the speaker forum alot of people rave over the canton range of speakers which can be mail ordered from Germany very cheaply

3) I havent tried this personally but the PD30/PD50 do favour component inputs - the signal itself will be no better but the TV may simply handle it better. If you do decide to buy one then view it as a way to get the convenience of using the avr as a source switch and if it improves the picture it is a bonus

4) All the faults which I have seen quoted on the panny models (as with tosh & sony etc) only affect certain units and not the complete range. Having not suffered the problem I cant say if an RGB->YUV convertor would fix

3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    The letter "C" means "Cabinet", although in this case "stand" would be more appropriate.

Some people like to buy the TV alone and then mount it in/on a hi-fi type unit.

4. Jake James

Jake James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Astaroth

Why buy Canton's from Germany, when you can buy them cheaper on the net in the UK? with the correct plug and without the worry of if something goes wrong you do not have to return it to your german dealer!

Check out the Canton in the UK' thread :thumbsup:

regards

JJ

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Jake, my main point was to review the speaker forum - I have never been interested in the Canton range and so have never done my own online research but having read a large number of posts on the speaker forum the majority do hold that they can be obtained cheaper from Germany - the cost of a plug/adaptor is neither significant nor a hassle.

All my own equipment has been sourced from UK online dealers :thumbsup: (with the exception of my digital camera which came from France as it was cheaper (and it came with a free plug adaptor :clap: ))

6. Jake James

Jake James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0