Advice on new receiver

Gtx76

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm looking for some advice on deciding whether its a good idea on updating my receiver from an ARCAM AVR 350 to a DENON AVR3500H am I downgrading or has the tech advanced since the arcam I've got, to warrant the much cheaper denon being any better. Any help would be much appreciated as I don't want to waste my money or time thanks.

Last edited:
You'd be updating in terms of features, but downgrading in terms of the hardwire and analogue audio capabilities. You'd have to lower your expectations as far as the pure portrayal of audio goes.

Advances in terms of digital features hasn't decreased the price you need to still pay if wanting better audio.

The only reason I'm looking to change it is I've got an Nvidia shield tv which I watch movies through but can't get dd 5.1 or dts because it only has hdmi connection and my arcam only inputs video through hdmi and no audio. And I can't seem to find a way round it which means im missing out on how I used to watch movies.

The only reason I'm looking to change it is I've got an Nvidia shield tv which I watch movies through but can't get dd 5.1 or dts because it only has hdmi connection and my arcam only inputs video through hdmi and no audio. And I can't seem to find a way round it which means im missing out on how I used to watch movies.

Does your TV facilitate passing through DTS and Dplby Digital 5.1 via optical if sourced via its HDMI inputs? If so then connect the HDMI source directly to the TV and pass the audio through to your older AV receiver via the TV's optical output.

No I've still got my pioneer 5000ex plasma just pure monitor no audio was all top grade back in 2006

Will I notice a downgrade do you think if I got the denon? I play music through arcam dv137 or mainly just you tube anyway and I use all b and w speakers

Hmm, well I think you may be disappointed if you replace it with a Denon. I guess you could keep the Arcam for music and just use the Denon for movies / tv?

If you want to replace it completely, i think the lowest cost AVR that will give you the features you want and possibly come close to the sound quality of the Arcam is the Nad T758v3 here:

NAD T 758 V3 AV Receiver

A bit less cost than the current range of Arcam's which start at the 390, there is an ex-display one here:

Ex Display - Arcam AVR390

Or, if you really want to spend less money, you may find a Marantz acceptable, such as this discounted SR6012 here (if they still have stock):

Marantz SR6012

Ok thanks very much for your help think I've got a bit to consider then or maybe just wait till I've got the funds to replace like for like but updated.

You could always use the Denons pre-outs to connect to the Arcam and use it as a power amp if you have the space for both. That way you get the best of both worlds. Other option is to buy a UHD player with pre-outs though they don't come cheap. The Panny DPUB9000 at £850 is the cheapest I can find.

You could always use the Denons pre-outs to connect to the Arcam and use it as a power amp if you have the space for both. That way you get the best of both worlds. Other option is to buy a UHD player with pre-outs though they don't come cheap. The Panny DPUB9000 at £850 is the cheapest I can find.

Forget the Panny it doesn't have a hdmi input for your shield.

I've even tried 3 different hdmi to hdmi+audio converters/splitters but to no avail. Everything was working fine when I used and had a working popcorn hour 100

I have just stumbled across this cable by chance maybe finally this will work without having to ruin my setup or wasting more money for just a simple but poss expensive problem.
Cayin CS 30TCR Type-C to RCA Coaxial Cable

I have just stumbled across this cable by chance maybe finally this will work without having to ruin my setup or wasting more money for just a simple but poss expensive problem.
Cayin CS 30TCR Type-C to RCA Coaxial Cable

Turtle Beach Micro II USB Sound Card - TBS-1150-01

Note that you cannot simply use a cable from a USB output to a digital S/PDIF input without intermediate conversion of the signal taking place.

Last edited:
I've tried to purchase this turtle beach cable for about 2 years but can't seem to find it anywhere.

Why does the shield have this option then pls?

Attachments

• 20190212_234102.jpg
    20190212_234102.jpg
    754.6 KB · Views: 99
Why does the shield have this option then pls?

You still need to process the USB output in order to then convert it to the S/PDIF signal used to convey the digital audio to the AVR. USB and S/PDIF are two entirely different protocols. You can output audio via USB with the Shield, but you'd only be able to input it into another USB interface on another device if not converting the signal. Even Nvidia recognise this fact:

How Can I Get Digital Optical Audio Output (SPDIF) on SHIELD TV | NVIDIA

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom