Advice on new receiver £300 - £400?

TomCody

Standard Member
Moving house soon and will finally be retiring my rusty old TEAC amp. Looking for a 3 - £400 replacement that has at least 3 HDMI inputs. Will be used primarily for the PS3, a standalone blu ray player and potentially a Sky+ HD box.

Have been looking at the Denon 1610 which seems to cover all bases, only 5.1 but that's fine with me.

Could anyone offer any alternatives that I should look at? I should also mention that I'll be using it for music so that will also be a factor in choosing.

Many thanks ;)

PSM1

Distinguished Member
To be honest the Denon will be the best for music within your budget range. If you can stretch the budget a little bit more then the Denon 1910 would be worth a listen too. There is also a Yamaha amp around your budget (475). This should be OK with music too although there are question msrks over it build quality. The other amps within your budget will not be as good with music (Onkyo 507 and Sony 800).

Last edited:

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
There is also a Yamaha amp around your budget (475)

I think that's next years Yamaha amp; they're not just leaving assignability off the inputs, they're leaving the inputs off the amp! :D

dante01

Distinguished Member
I think that's next years Yamaha amp; they're not just leaving assignability off the inputs, they're leaving the inputs off the amp! :D

Assignability of optical to HDMI has now been rectified on this years X65 models, but only this. Yamaha has no plans to expand the assignability of other inputs.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Assignability of optical to HDMI has now been rectified on this years X65 models, but only this. Yamaha has no plans to expand the assignability of other inputs.

I know --- they didn't go all the way -- hence my dig at Yamaha.

The firmware update also allows a component video input to be assigned to an analogue audio input, for Wii users.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I know --- they didn't go all the way -- hence my dig at Yamaha.

The firmware update also allows a component video input to be assigned to an analogue audio input, for Wii users.

Doesn't the component video input already have an associated analogue audio input(s)?

Passingbat

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom