Question Advice on new quiet/silent PC - budget around £2,500

I'm looking at getting the asus tuf 3080 card.
How much have you budgeted for that?
Amazon (in Europe) have the price around £850 and Currys have hiked the price to £790 as well.

For the AIO I was going to suggest deepcool. They have what they call anti-leak on the cooler and I think they back it up with warranty.
They are on amazon and similar prices to other AIOs
I have a deep cool AIO and it is very good.
The RGB can be controlled via the motherboard software as well

Amazon (in Europe) have the price around £850 and Currys have hiked the price to £790 as well.
The reality is Asus TUFs rarely seem to come up. I've been after any 3080 for months and only managed to get one last week from CCLOnline by paying the inflated retailer markup. Amazingly on scalpers are us. People are buying FTW3 Ultra 3070 models for what I paid (or more) for the 3080 variant.

Saw some amount of 3070s are coming and going into retail. 3090s come up and stick around a little bit. Scan often have AIB models for a few minutes!

3070 and 3090 FEs come up every few weeks. But are difficult to get. The 3080 FE might as well not exist.

Currys don't seem to ever actually have any stock.

I've seen higher end 6800XTs and 6900XT AIB cards stick around for a day or two on the slightly smaller stores.

With the current state of the market, a pre-built is about the only way to get a 3080 for a reasonable price. 😥

I have a 5600X with D15s and its running 780 - 1k RPM and runs about 55 degree average under heavy gaming

Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 19.37.36.png

Believe it or not, It's actually really easy to set up a water-cooling system.
Flexible tubing is more forgiving than hard tube to set up, and is a great setting off point.

The only issue really is budget. You can sink a small fortune into loops before you know it.

If it was something that you'd consider entertaining for the ultimate silent pc, I'm sure there's enough of us on here who could help, combined with the various youtube sources etc.
I'll be getting a pre-built, so a custom water cooling system wouldn't be possible. I also don't think it would fit within my budget

For the AIO I was going to suggest deepcool. They have what they call anti-leak on the cooler and I think they back it up with warranty.
They are on amazon and similar prices to other AIOs
Thanks for the suggestion. I've read that AIOs are louder than air coolers due to pump noise and other things. The anti-leak is interesting, I would still be a little concerned about leakage, but the noise is more of a dealbreaker for me.

I'm hoping to get it for £850 or less from scan

The reality is Asus TUFs rarely seem to come up. I've been after any 3080 for months and only managed to get one last week from CCLOnline by paying the inflated retailer markup. Amazingly on scalpers are us. People are buying FTW3 Ultra 3070 models for what I paid (or more) for the 3080 variant.

Saw some amount of 3070s are coming and going into retail. 3090s come up and stick around a little bit. Scan often have AIB models for a few minutes!

3070 and 3090 FEs come up every few weeks. But are difficult to get. The 3080 FE might as well not exist.

Currys don't seem to ever actually have any stock.

I've seen higher end 6800XTs and 6900XT AIB cards stick around for a day or two on the slightly smaller stores.
The TUF ones are part of the pre-built range on scan. I understand they are one of the quieter AIB cards, unless I'm mistaken?

With the current state of the market, a pre-built is about the only way to get a 3080 for a reasonable price. 😥
Unfortunately it seems so, I've been trying for weeks to get one for a decent price with no luck. I'm clicking links within a few seconds of being notified and still missing out.

I have a 5600X with D15s and its running 780 - 1k RPM and runs about 55 degree average under heavy gaming

View attachment 1465302
Thanks for this, do you use two fans on your D15s and do you think it will be similar temperatures for a 5800x?

You'll be lucky. Especially with a pre built system, as they'll put a profit on everything.
Not saying possible, but Currys have been the cheapest retailer. Asus own European shops are selling it for more than £850

Think the only one you could get for MSRP would be the 3080 FE. You'll need a huge amount of luck to get one of those. There are discords that track when those appear. But they do literally go in seconds. Best bet might be to buy a 3090 FE and just suck up the price increase. The 3090 FE when they come
up at least have a larger window of availability in the order of minutes as opposed to seconds.

It's either that or keep an eye on cclonline, novatech, ebuyer, aria pc and overclockers as well but none of those are selling at RRP and they go immediately also.

Think the only one you could get for MSRP would be the 3080 FE. You'll need a huge amount of luck to get one of those. There are discords that track when those appear. But they do literally go in seconds. Best bet might be to buy a 3090 FE and just suck up the price increase. The 3090 FE when they come
up at least have a larger window of availability in the order of minutes as opposed to seconds.

It's either that or keep an eye on cclonline, novatech, ebuyer, aria pc and overclockers as well but none of those are selling at RRP and they go immediately also.
He is buying prebuilt so not sure if the FE is an option

He is buying prebuilt so not sure if the FE is an option
Ah probably not then. 3070s and 3090s seem to come up on a random week day every two or three weeks. While 3080s can be a month+ one drop to the next.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've read that AIOs are louder than air coolers due to pump noise and other things. The anti-leak is interesting, I would still be a little concerned about leakage, but the noise is more of a dealbreaker for me.
I can honestly say I don"t notice the pump on my AIO. The main noise I notice is fans, probably from gpu, when under load

I can honestly say I don"t notice the pump on my AIO. The main noise I notice is fans, probably from gpu, when under load

Yea unlikely to hear pump noise.
Only time would be if you have a dead silent pc, like really dead silent or the AIO was of very very poor quality, which no one should be buying anyway.
In general AIOs are well built, its only back alley knock offs that would be trouble.
Fans are gonna drown out any noise fom a pump.
In some cases having a AIO can be quieter than a fan cooler, simple fact of not having as many fans in the case.
Less fans less noise.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Thought I would give a quick update.

After a couple of weeks of trying to order something I should hopefully be able to order a custom build in the next day or two (whenever they send me the invoice).

These are the parts I'm going for:

CPU: 5800x
Motherboard: MSI X570 MAG Tomahawk wifi
Cooler: Noctua D15S Chromax
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver MX4
RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX Black
SSD: Gigabyte 2TB Aorus m.2 PCIe 4.0
Graphics card: RTX 3080 TUF Gaming
PSU: Corsair RMx 850 watt
Case: Be Quiet Silent Base 802
Optical Drive: Liteon External slim USB 2.0

If anything particularly stands out as being not good, please let me know!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Thought I would give a quick update.

After a couple of weeks of trying to order something I should hopefully be able to order a custom build in the next day or two (whenever they send me the invoice).

These are the parts I'm going for:

CPU: 5800x
Motherboard: MSI X570 MAG Tomahawk wifi
Cooler: Noctua D15S Chromax
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver MX4
RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX Black
SSD: Gigabyte 2TB Aorus m.2 PCIe 4.0
Graphics card: RTX 3080 TUF Gaming
PSU: Corsair RMx 850 watt
Case: Be Quiet Silent Base 802
Optical Drive: Liteon External slim USB 2.0

If anything particularly stands out as being not good, please let me know!

Additional fans for the case?

No extra fans, I think it comes with 3 fans in the case.

it does. All Pure Wings. Not my first choice but better than nothing.

If you want a silent build remember er you need to maintain optimal airflow within your case, in which case I would look at placing an additional intake at the front with a good static pressure to maintain a linear flow path to feed your 3080 properly as well.

whether you add a couple exhaust at the top is up to you, I would, as struggling to exhaust the internal heat dump does result in higher component temp too.

Is there a way to tell if a fan has good static pressure? Am I able to mix and match fans or is it best to get more fans that are the same as the ones already in the case?

Last edited:
Is there a way to tell if a fan has good static pressure? Am I able to mix and match fans or is it best to get more fans that are the same as the ones already in the case?

In reality different ones would be fine.

It’s all about reading up on reviews as the marketing measurements are often misleading.

Arctic P12/14 are a good place to start, Noctua A12x25 is still the market leader for the 120mm fan.

Thanks for this! Would adding another 3 fans which would double the number of case fans, add more noise to the system? How necessary do you think it would be to add the extra fans?

Would 140mm fans be better as extra ones as I heard they tend to be more quiet? If so would you recommend a Noctua one for that as well?

Thanks for this! Would adding another 3 fans which would double the number of case fans, add more noise to the system? How necessary do you think it would be to add the extra fans?

Would 140mm fans be better as extra ones as I heard they tend to be more quiet? If so would you recommend a Noctua one for that as well?
The answer, unfrotauntely, is not as straight forward as yes or no.

Adding more fans does mean you are adding more sources of noise, but that means you should be able obtain a good airflow pattern within the case with a lower average rpm.
As a rule of thumb, more fans at a much lower rpm should be quieter than more fans at a higher rpm.
For a third fan I think a 140mm would be better, and in fact I would recommend the artic P14 instead as I don’t think the Noctua A14x25 is scheduled to release yet.

another thing you might want to invest in is a fan controller ecosystem - most people are happy with onboard control, but if you wanna have a lot more flexibility and fine control (e.g. a delayed ramp of fan rpm in response to a temperature spike - very common in Ryzen) then have a look at Aquacomputer Octo and their aqua suite offering :)

another thing you might want to invest in is a fan controller ecosystem - most people are happy with onboard control, but if you wanna have a lot more flexibility and fine control (e.g. a delayed ramp of fan rpm in response to a temperature spike - very common in Ryzen) then have a look at Aquacomputer Octo and their aqua suite offering :)
I think the case comes with some kind of fan controller on it. I'm not sure if it can work with software but the case has switches where you can increase and decrease the speed of the fans.

Can I ask why the silent wings fans wouldn't be your first choice? I did a quick search and they kept coming up as the best quiet/silent fans for PC cases. Is there something that makes them inferior to some of the other fans you mentioned?

think the case comes with some kind of fan controller on it. I'm not sure if it can work with software but the case has switches where you can increase and decrease the speed of the fans.
Just use the motherboard. You can hook 3 fans up to each fan header safely

Just use the motherboard. You can hook 3 fans up to each fan header safely
Connect the fans to the motherboard instead of the case? Would that mean I can't use the case controls to control the fans?

Connect the fans to the motherboard instead of the case? Would that mean I can't use the case controls to control the fans?
Up to you. But you can set the fans to speed up/slow down depending on CPU temperature (or GPU temperature with certain apps)

Up to you. But you can set the fans to speed up/slow down depending on CPU temperature (or GPU temperature with certain apps)
Thanks, I suppose the question I'm asking is can I have the fans software controlled but also controlled by the switch on the case or is it a one or the other situation?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom