• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice on new purchase please.

DpM

Hi all, was wondering if some of you could give me some advice on a new camera purchase.

The g/f has lost my digital compact, she says it is somewhere safe but she can't find it!! It was my first and only digital camera and was only £99 when I bought it about 6 years ago. It was a Kodak LS633 here it is ---> DCRP Review: Kodak EasyShare LS633
Not amazing but it has served me very well.

Now it is gone id like to get something much more serious. Id love to get into taking more arty shots and not the usual snaps that get looked at once and forgotten. My g/f does have a canon compact for quick snaps so a direct replacement is not needed.

I'm thinking I would like I higher end compact like the G9 which will have better/manual functions or id like to step into the DSLR world and seeing the Nikon D40 is at a very cheep price atm im thinking that could be a good way to go.Also if advising a high end compact is the G9 the best? My budget at the moment for the camera alone is £250 but I could stretch that a bit if need be.

Here is a list of my requirements, if you could please take a look and then advise as to what would be the best option.

• Good at closeups of people (my daughter is changing everyday so ill be taking lots of shots of her) and may at some point want the pictures large enough to hang on the wall, not huge around A4 ish at most.
  • It must gave a decent close up function/macro.
  • Good at general shots of scenery for when I go on holiday.
  • A black and white function\mode would be great.
  • An auto mode that is not impossible for the g/f to use :D ie turn on set to auto and away she goes!

Thanks

Dean

Smiffy 2

Do you want to be able to take the camera everywhere you go, conveniently and without too much hassle?
If so, stick with a compact 'cos whilst a DSLR will give you better options it won't be as practical as a compact.

DpM

Do you want to be able to take the camera everywhere you go, conveniently and without too much hassle?
If so, stick with a compact 'cos whilst a DSLR will give you better options it won't be as practical as a compact.

No too fussed about the size, I take a changing bag with me most places at the mo so putting some extra bits in it wont bother me. After that stage is gone a rucksack will be used.

I have rerad a review here on the Nikon and its sounds great Digital Camera Resource Page: Reviews & Info
Im gonna look up the G9 and the alternatives in a bit.

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
The D40 is a good intorduction in the world of DSLRs, but looking at your list of requirements I think a feature packed bridge camera from any of the major makers 9I think the Fuji Finepix comes out pretty good in the reviews) would meet your needs and budget. For example, the D40 can take great macro shots, with a great macro lens.

wonderloaf

hi DpM, sorry to butt into your thread but am thinking of something similar myself, just bought a TZ5 and although a very good compact i really want something with more control and a 'proper' viewfinder...which leads nicely into my question: the s8100fd looks like a good camera, but the specification on the web page you have posted says it doesn't have an optical viewfinder, but looking at the pictures it clearly does?.

can anyone clarify this please?

DpM

It has one mate, that must be a miss print.

Im very close to getting one of these reviews say it is good for the money and that was at 299 so at 179.99 it can't be bad.
:lease:

Last edited:

johnaalex

Distinguished Member

DpM

Cheers again :thumbsup:

Gonna go for it, im sure it will be a massive improvement over my 6 year old Kodak.

DpM

Impressed with the cam so far, not really tested it out to much yet though, Ill get a better chance over the weekend.

Anyway here a few quick shots I have taken.

2008_1007Firstshots0019.jpg

2008_1007Firstshots0066.jpg

2008_1007Firstshots0063.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom