Advice On New Lcd "please!"

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by crank, Mar 7, 2006.

Tags:
  1. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Okay chaps i'm currently in the market for an lcd for my xbox360 and for the kids to watch dvd's on.I have a panny 42pv500 in the main room but limit my game play due to the thought of screen burn and when the kids watch dvd's when im out they tend to leave the menu on :eek: So i guess its time to spend the cash or lose more hair from stress....My problem is i just can't decide on which model to buy due to response times etc etc,i know i want between 26"-32" in size but thats all i know as there's just too many to choose from. So guys im looking to you and your experience to help me to decide which one would best do the two tasks i require of it. Sorry if this has been asked numerous times before but i don't visit that often (mostly only in times of need)

2. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Samsung LE32R41B
    :smashin: :smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

3. Vallyboy

Vallyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is free advise and of course worth what you paid for it...but you did say please.:)

I have the Samsung 32", had it from Freeman's, web order, no problems other that had to wait for stock, 'tis popular, :) and paid £720.

Great value for what I find is a great set. good sound, good picture, and has all the vital connections. Can only speak as I find.

4. Timmeruk

Timmeruk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samsung LE32R4 very sweet and very crisp ... looks nice too especially wall mounted

Attached Files:

5. somenutter

somenutter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I could swear thats the incredibles playing on the screen on the pic above not that it matters anyway looks good in my opinion but id go for the later model

Product Specification
    32" Samsung LE32R74BD LCD TV HD Ready - Pre-Order for April
    NEW! High-Definition Ready 32" LCD TV from Samsung in a newblack design.
    SPECIFICATION
    Picture:
    Visible Diagonal: 32"
    Aspect Ratio: 16:9
    Resolution: 1366 x 768
    Luminance cd/m2 500
    Contrast (Dynamic): 3000:1
    Viewing Angle (H/V): 170 degree
    Sound:
    Power Output (RMS): 5W X 2
    Stereo: Nicam/A2
    Features
    DNIe
    Clock
    PIP (1 tuner)
    Teletext: 10 page
    Terminals
    DVI HDCP
    SCART x 2
    Component
    Video In
    S-Video In
    PC Input (D-Sub)
    PC Audio In
    Audio Out

6. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    First of all, what's the maximum you would spend?

Second, specs really don't mean too much. You will find that most manufacturers quote a 1366x768 resolution, 8ms contrast, and a contrast ratio of around 1000:1 or 1300:1 on their newest models. (Ignore any figures such as 3000:1 or 5000:1, especially at reasonable prices - these are bound to using some sort of trickery and numbers like that are almost certain to be impossible in real world situations). They also have different ways of measuring such numbers which can make them all close to meaningless - for example last Summer my brother bought a Sony LCD monitor quoted at 12ms. The ghosting was so bad we took it back to the shop in just under 4 hours, yet my Philips monitor quoted at 16ms didn't have the problem.

The real test of an LCD, something that specs can't tell you, is how good the processing going on behind the scenes is. That's less important if you're going to be feeding the TV HD signals (Xbox 360) though.

I always recommend the Sony LCD TVs (if you want proof that I am not a brand loyalist, have a look at the wide range of manufacturers' equipment I own in my signature). The new S-Range (KDL-26S2000U, replace 26 with 32 or 40 if you want a bigger screen) even have the BRAVIA Engine picture cleanup technology (might come at a price though).