Advice on new lap top.

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by General Panic, Mar 31, 2005.

1. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi
    Actually trying to help my brother out who has a pay bonus burning a hole in his pocket.
    We share a flat and neither of us have had a lap top before and i have a wireless set up in the flat just now.

Not looking at playing new games or such on it , mainly just a big toy is his line of thought. Browse the web , digital photos music etc will be the main useage and maybe some "older" games would be good. Also needs to be able to play dvd movies which is his main hope ( games are mine but it will be his machine)

He's seen adverts etc for lap tops now in the sub £500 range ala Dixons ,Time etc and thats is what he's after.

Any users offer any opinions on what to look for in terms of power etc i should keep in mind when offering him advice?

Cheers

Panic

2. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I'd suggest the 3 areas you want to contemplate are Memory, Hard Disk and Processor primarily.

I note a lot of laptops that you are talking about have 256mb Ram - which is IMO as useful as a chocolate teapot, especially as they then have XP installed. Look for 512mb minimum, 1gb is preferable if you can manage it.

The bigger the hard disk, the better. 40gb is again way too small, when XP can take 1gb on its own (unless you tweak the installation), then they tend to keep images of the software on them too - another chunk lost. Look for 80gb if you can.

Speed wise - well there's either Pentium M technology, Pentium 4 tech or AMD. Personally I'm not an AMD fan at all, but again look for the fastest you can afford.

At the end of the day - memory and hard disks can be replaced/upgraded but processors can't - so that would be the key thing.

3. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180