Advice on new Home Theatre Speakers please

Bonoscot

hey guys,ive been reading up over the last 2 weeks and the more im reading the more I get confused to be honest.

im looking to set up my first HT, I have a budget of about £1200 -£1600 on a set of 5.1 and also a great receiver.

At the moment I have in mind the dali 5 5.1 and the Yamaha RX-V673, im trying to get the best sound for my money (give or take an extra £200 if I have to)....there are so many options.

I have also looked at the Sony STR-DN1040 and the Denon AVR-X2000 for amps,but struggle to find good floorstanders to match up.

can anyone suggest a great setup for about the prices given? So I can look them up and have more knowledge?

BTW I start my build in about 2 weeks, its a music/movie gaming setup room, size is 5m x 4m

any help would really be appreciated,im so hesitant to buy incase theres maybe better out there at my price....BTW im from the UK

thanks again for any help and advice

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The yamaha and dali setup you mention is about as good as you will get for your budget and they should work well together. Floorstanders are less important if you get a sub since you will be crossing the front speakers off at around 80hz anyway which sort of negates the lower response of a floorstander.
A lot will depend on your personal sound preference so go demo a few options within your budget to see which you prefer.

sergiup

Distinguished Member
^^what he said, mostly. At the risk of getting flamed, £1600-£1800 (sounds like that's your maximum budget?) isn't going to get you amazing kit - but it can definitely get you well on the way.

I would advise you to pick one of these paths: either go for a better AVR and lesser speakers and upgrade the speakers later, or an functional AVR and better speakers with a view to upgrading the AVR later on.

There is a third path if you're open to going second-hand, there are a few good bargains out there too: Anthem MRX300 (yes, I do bang this particular drum quite a lot), or Onkyo 818 just to name a couple. They'll both set you back around £5-£600 I think, which would leave you with up to £1200 for speakers.

For that amount of money, you may wish to consider a BK XXLS400 sub (or something similar) plus just the front two or three speakers to start with; if you want rears straight away, I used a set of JBL Control One for quite a while and they were absolutely fine (pointing upwards, lying just above ear level) - not bad for £60. In terms of speakers, that's one thing which you really should audition yourself and let your ears & brain decide, otherwise you risk ending up with something which may simply not suit you.

Bonoscot

Really appreciate it guys, im kinda going round in circles thinking about this.

ill see if I can extend budget as much as I can.

Any other advice would be well appreciated as always

edit:

been having a look at your suggestion, ihave found the Onkyo NR818 and the dali 5 (5.1) for £1699.....this looks enticing so far,bit worried about sound for cinema and music though....ill keep looking

Last edited:

Picko

Novice Member
Really appreciate it guys, im kinda going round in circles thinking about this.

ill see if I can extend budget as much as I can.

Any other advice would be well appreciated as always

edit:

been having a look at your suggestion, ihave found the Onkyo NR818 and the dali 5 (5.1) for £1699.....this looks enticing so far,bit worried about sound for cinema and music though....ill keep looking
Hello mate,
I've just picked up a deal from audiovisual online for the Dali 5 5.1 and Yamaha 675 (bundle) which is the best price I have seen so far.... snapped it up today but they can't deliver for a week. Admittedly I really wanted some B&W 684 s2, but the dali's sounded good when I demo'd. Let me know if you need some more info.

Steve

Picko

Novice Member
nice one steve...ill have a look.

is this for a home cinema? or you just have in lounge?
It's just for the lounge, although I am planning to put a floating wall in place for the tv to sit on and the speakers to stand next to.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Based on a quick check, the Yamaha 673 runs between £250 and £350, though I think the original price on it was about £500. The Dali 5 5.1 runs about £1300 to £1450/set. That slightly over-balances your system toward the speakers.

The complete set (Amp+Speakers) can be purchased at Exceptional AV for £1529.

As has been pointed out you might be able to save a bit by substituting a BK Electronics Subwoofer for the Dali Subwoofer. Though I think the BK XLS-200 would be fine at about £315

The Dali E-12F is about £530.

Dali E-12 F Subwoofer for £479.00 in Speakers

The BK XLS-200 is about £315. Even the larger XXLS-400 is £425.

Sub Woofers - Sub Bass - Subwoofer

If at all possible you could move up slight in the Yamaha amp to the RX-V675 (£1399)-

Yamaha RX-V675 w/ Dali Zensor 5 (5.1) - Hand Picked Bundles - Home Cinema

Or better yet, move up to the Yamaha RX-V775 with the Dali Zensor 5 (£1699) -

Yamaha RX-V775 w/ Dali Zensor 5 (5.1) - Hand Picked Bundles - Home Cinema

Either of these are a better deal than the Yamaha 673 (£1529) -

Yamaha RX-V673 w/ Dali Zensor 5 (5.1) - Hand Picked Bundles - Home Cinema

Myself, I prefer Marantz, Yamaha, Denon, and perhaps Pioneer. While Onkyo are great for home cinema, some question their ability for music. Though I have to admit that Onkyo are probably the most popular.

Pushing you budget right to the extreme of its limits would be this system with the Yamaha RX-V1030 (£1799) -

Yamaha RX-A1030 w/ Dali Zensor 5 (5.1) - Hand Picked Bundles - Home Cinema

The Yamaha RX-V1030 is typically running from £850 to £1000.

Someone suggest the ANTHEM amp, no doubt these are excellent, but they are not cheap -

Anthem

The amp alone eats your entire budget and then some.

I don't believe you've mentioned the size of your room. Bigger speakers typically demand a bigger room, though the Dali Zensor 5 are not huge speakers, and I would expect them to perform well in all but the smallest rooms. But Room Size is a consideration. In a smaller room, then perhaps good full range Bookshelf speakers plus one of the amps that have been discussed might be a better choice. The right bookshelf in a 5.1 system can be good for music and certainly good for movies.

As an example -

Denon AVRX4000 with Monitor Audio BX2 AV

The Amp (Denon 4000) alone in this bundle is £620.

In all honesty, I think the best value is either the Dali Zenor 5 with the Yamaha 675 or better yet, the Dali Zensor 5 with the Yamaha 775. The Yamaha 775 is running between £450 and £650. I believe the prices are so low because it has been replaced by the Yamaha 777.

Generally, the higher the number on the Yamaha amp, the better it is, that makes the 675 bundle a real bargain over the 673 bundle.But if you can push your budget that high, the Yamaha 775 is still a real bargain.

The 775 at Exceptional AV is £399. The 777 at Exceptional AV is £659. The Dali Zensor 5 5.1 package on its own is £1429 from Exceptional AV.

For what it is worth.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

Bonoscot

fantatsic info steve and very much appreciated, i am looking into it as we speak.....i was told that the sony 1040 was a stunning amp as well. i have been looking into this as well....

my room size is 5m x 4m

Last edited:

Bonoscot

ok so far im going for the Sony 1040 amp and the Dali zensor 5 (5.1) .....how does this sound guys for those in the know? Punchy enough for Good cinema sound? ie Star Trek ?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Go demo the combination first since Dali are often recommended for warm sounding receivers like Yamaha/Denon so may not pair well with the sony amp. that said a lot will depend on your personal sound preferences so the combination may work for you so go listen.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom