1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on new Hi-Fi?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by WillC, Oct 30, 2005.

1. WillC

WillC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to buy a Hi-Fi for when I move into my apartment next week. Here is my criteria...

- Budget of £150.
    - Must have good quality sound (i.e. good bass - I listen to heavy music such as Rage Against The Machine and Smashing Pumpkins).
    - Must look good.
    - 98% of the time it will be used for CDs.
    - The remaining 2% is shared between tapes and radio.
    - I'm not too fussed about a multi-CD changer (they always seem so "clunky"/noisy).
    - Preferably capable of playing CDRs, CDRWs, MP3 CDs, etc.
    - Automatic radio tuning would be nice but not essential.

Where is a good place to buy from? Should I stick to Dixons/Currys/Comet/Argos or buy online?

Any advice and/or recommendations are appreciated.

2. WillC

WillC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any advice would be really appreciated ;)

3. Gullanian

Gullanian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have anything at the moment?

4. WillC

WillC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No not really, just an old Sanyo CD player which cost about £50 five or six years ago. Here are a couple of hi-fis I quite like the look of...

Panasonic SCPM21: This has been recommended to me as a cheap but effective hi-fi: http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...-25839&sku=717864&page=Product&fm=0&sm=1&tm=0

Philips MCM11: Someone in Curry's recommended this: http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...-25839&sku=850200&page=Product&fm=0&sm=1&tm=0

Sony CMT-CPX11: A friend of mine strongly recommends this: http://www.webelectricals.co.uk/eStore/Product.asp?ProdUID={5AA1E1A9-7736-48D3-8A98-9B0B3ECA122C}&AUID={A85AEAD1-7355-446E-9FE9-8644269F87CB}

Technics SCHD350: Finally, I found this one myself. I can get it a lot cheaper off eBay or something: http://www.letsgodigital.co.uk/html/product.php/cid/31/pid/356

What do you guys think? Help is appreciated.

5. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe you should consider buying a second hand receiver and a pair of used speakers and stick with the cd player you already have. This kind of money will not buy you anything with 'power' or quality sound new. At least second hand you have a change at a machine with some rage... Maybe check the fore sale forum and post request.!

6. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    If you don't mind going second hand then perhaps a Denon DM31 ?

7. WillC

WillC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestion. I had a quick look on eBay and this one ends in a couple of hours and is going for about £155 + £12 postage. But it doesn't include speakers, which is an extra cost...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DENON-UDM-31-...822766228QQcategoryZ86806QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

To be honest, £150 is really my maximum limit. I know I won't get much for that, I just want something that does the job and looks good.

8. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLASSIC-NAD-3...oryZ3280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    > Is the kind of stuff I would advice people with your budget who still want a good sound. In my humble opion going for older equipment that even today still has a good reputation. Also separates will get you way more quality than a all in one solution. For instance the NAD I mention is available sevaral time on ebay and previous completed actions it sold for as less as 40 / 50 pounds. Read this recent review of this 20 year old audio clasic http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/nad3020e.html

This is one example of what you could try to get second hand.

If it's new (recent) and flashy compact good looks you are looking for than something as old and 'ugly' as before mentioned NAD may not be for you. Also you would still have to buy speakers and a separate tuner second hand and they might also have a used or older look But when it boils down to getting the best possible quality listening enjoyment for that kind of money this might be the best road to travel. Quality equipment of the good brands often still has many years of a working life ahead of it.

9. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    To be honest, I don't think you have a chance of even a half decent sound if you're looking at new stuff. If I were you I would put a wanted thread in the classifieds and hope that some of the good natured people on this board have bits and pieces knocking around in their lofts that they might like to sell you. You could also try ebay but I get the impression you're on a strict budget so if you get ripped off or the stuff breaks after 5 minutes you're going to be stuck with no sounds!

10. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Likewise, I'd suggest going secondhand if you want decent-sounding kit. There are risks of buying secondhand (things can break) but it's probably better to buy something secondhand that sounds good and will probably work for years than to buy something new that you want to upgrade in 6 months ;) If your sanyo CD player has phono or a headphone output (is it a micro system?) you could always plug this into the amp you buy (if it has a tuner, or if you have a freeview box or PC, you could maybe use this for your radio...) You could then look to upgrade at some future date.

If you post a wanted ad in the classifieds, I'm sure you'll get some offers, and you should be able to get a decent amp and speakers for #150, though as mentioned it may well be pretty ugly ;) Another option, *if* your Sanyo can power a decent pair of speakers, might be to add say a #100 pair of speakers to it and save up to get amp etc. later on.

I guess the other obvious thing to mention is that there is the option of keeping your sanyo for a while, to save up another #50 or #100 - which would give you a fair bit more choice...if you are buying new there could be advantages to buying after xmas, and 2nd hand prices sometimes fall after xmas as well...

Jon

11. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,976
    I would also lok at second hand prioducts and nbot worry about the looks after all its the sound that matters most.The Nad amp mentioned was an excellenty amp in its day. youi couyld also havew a lok at Richer sounds or Hyperfi and see what they have.
    http://ws4.richersounds.com/productlist.php?cda=productlist&sgroup=MINISYSTEMS&sort=price

The teak system looks good . why not get a cheap pair of Sennheiser headphones until you can buy some good speakers?

12. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,976
    A Cambridge Audio /ariston could be had for about £150 but then you'd need to spend about £20 on cables.

13. WillC

WillC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm really looking to keep it simple. I feel that the sound quality from a Sony, Panasonic or Toshiba hi-fi is sufficient.

Therefore, what I'm looking for is the hi-fi with the best sound, features, looks and price. I want it to be something that takes two minutes for me to set up because I haven't got the first idea about the things you guys are recommending!

I'd rather have an all-in-one Sony hi-fi than have to worry about finding suitable speakers and cables for a better sounding but ultimately rather ugly separate system.

14. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,691
    past expereince i always have found sony systems are the best, at the same price you get less thrills than other brands, but the build and sound quality tend to better.

15. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,976
    Then pop into Currys and see what they do in there .Most peeps in here are audiophiles which means sound quality is almnost everything

16. horribleman

horribleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Se if you can find the creative soundworks 740 for cheap anywhere.

17. tbourner

tbourner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just ordered a Panasonic SCAK640 for £160 off the net.

I can't tell the difference between that and my mates £2000 Bose setup!!!

Maybe this isn't the forum for me! :D

18. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Not at all - it just says everything anyone needs to know about Bose "quality"...................:D :devil:

19. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    :rotfl:

20. tbourner

tbourner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why what's wrong with Bose? Aren't they the best of the cheap brands? (I know nothing about the expensive brands BTW).

21. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The problem is the price to performance for a Bose system is far from cheap.

A seperate amp, cd player and speakers for the same price would perform so much better.

22. tbourner

tbourner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My mate's just got Bose speakers, including surround. I think his controller is a Sony unit, and the CD player is his DVD recorder!! It does sound good and watching films on it is brilliant, but I'd be willing to say that's just because of the 5.1 that I'm not used to having.

23. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    compared to much, much cheaper stuff, the bose gear can sound pretty good - that bedside radio/CD thing they do's quite nice, sounds better than the £10 job I bought from tescos... But yeah, in terms of price/performance ratio :thumbsdow

For a £160 sony mini system to sound as good is quite understandable :D