1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on new Headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Stone Free, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have never listened to a quality pair of headphones, only the ones with the various walkmans I have bought. I was listening to my CD walkman for the first time in ages and I thought the sound was alot better then when I am listening at work. The headphones where the ones supplied with my Sony D-EJ725 player which I think are MDR-E805's which are apparently really bad, but sound so much better than the ones I am using at work from my 14 year old tape-walkman.

I think the main sound difference is caused by the heads of the in-ear headphones being bigger and plugging my ears better causing better bass response.

I still want to replace the work headphones with some more in-ear ones, but not ear-canal ones as I have had problems with my right ear lately with some kind of blockage causing about 80% reduction that I had to take anti-biotics to clear, which started when I tried to remove some wax.

I both love and hate bass in music, I never ever turn the bass boost on. If a song has good bass in the original recording then I want that bass to come through. Most people I know seem to turn the bass boost on resulting in to my ears a muddy performance.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Certainly,ear-canal phones can deliver a tighter and often deeper bass than ear-bud type phones,but obviously,in your case,they won't be suitable.

A number of the earbud phones are actually pretty good,and to my ears the little Sennheiser ones are fine,and also pretty cheap,if that's all you require.
    Do bear in mind though,that whilst they don't sit in the ear canal,they will be very close to it,and over longer periods may give problems.
    A lightweight traditional type headset may be useful,with things like the Sennheiser PX100 offering good value.

If you're happy with the MDR-E805s....why not keep them,and disregard what other people say...if you're happy with the sound.

3. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I am going to be keeping the MDR-E805s, it is the headphones I am using at work that I need to replace.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Ok.....that being the case,if you're happy with the Sony's at home,then any of the Sony phones in their current catalogue should be equally suitable,(MDR-E818/828/829 etc) and at a reasonable price also......as I said,for portable use,I have a set of Sennheiser earbuds,as well as Etymotics(I know these would be unsuitable),so do bear those in mind also.

5. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Which Sennheiser earbuds?

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The following are worth looking at....MX200/250/300/350/400.

I have a set of the MX400's which are pretty comfortable,have an in-line volume control,and a decent little carrying case.....they also still work after 2 yrs use,so I'd say they're decent all round for the price.....hope that helps.

7. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Are the MX series going to provide a better sound quality than the Sonys?

My main reason for going in-ear rather than closed such as the Sennheiser HD-497s that I can get for £30 is that I had at one point a long time back has some Sony closed headphones that although they still worked the headband snapped in two and they were therefore unusable. Are headphones now any better built/rugged?

Would I notice a large difference between the MXs against the 497s?

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    My own preference is for the Sennheisers,but the only way to decide is to listen and see which you prefer,but it's difficult to get that sort of service in that price range sometimes.

My son has the Sony equivalents for his MD Walkman,and being honest I find the bass lift a bit irritating,but that really is just my opinion.