Question Advice on new Gear

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
Im on the move soon to a smaller rental property for at least 12-18 months, im packing most of my gear away but im keeping my speakers and Rega turntable out, i currently use a home cinema amp for this but as this is going to storage would a new stereo amp be just as good to power them? I have about £300 to spend and was looking about but need advice. Thanks in advance

SSAV

AVForums Sponsor
Hi,

It depends which speakers you have but a stereo amplifier should be just as good (if not better) than the AV Receiver you're using currently to drive the speakers.

I'd recommend the NAD C 326BEE, it's a traditional analogue HiFi amplifier and sounds great. It's not packed with loads of features so you are paying for the sound quality.

It's £349 with a 6 year warranty and we're running a trade-in promotion at the moment so you'll save £50 if you bring in some old kit. You can find it here.

Alternatively we have some Marantz PM6006s on our clearance list. This may sound closer your Denon (made by the same company) than the NAD will. You can find them here.

Hope this helps,

Mike.

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
Running Q Acoustic 3020 speakers..

SSAV

AVForums Sponsor
Running Q Acoustic 3020 speakers..
Either of the two amplifiers I have suggested will be perfectly capable of powering those speakers :)

Best Regards,

Mike.

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
The NAD C 326BEE does not have Phono inputs for the turntable???

SSAV

AVForums Sponsor
The NAD C 326BEE does not have Phono inputs for the turntable???
Ah - didn't know whether you maybe had an external phono stage / preamp. The Marantz does have a dedicated phono input.

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
Ah - didn't know whether you maybe had an external phono stage / preamp. The Marantz does have a dedicated phono input.
I do have one just thought maybe I could get away with less clutter, thanks for your help I'll check these out

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Best value in a Stereo amp -

Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver, AM/FM, 80w/ch, DAC (w/ 2xOptical, 2xCoaxial, 1xUSB-Media), Bluetooth, Network Streaming of Audio from local storage and the Internet - £380 -

YAMAHA AS501Black Stereo Amplifier

Yamaha AS501 Integrated amp, 85w/Ch, DAC (1xOptical, 1xCoaxial) - £250 to £299 -.

Alternate, -

Yamaha AS701 Integrated Amp, 100w/ch DAC (1xOptical, 1xCoaxial) - £399 -

YAMAHA AS701Black Stereo Amplifier

Can't fault the other amps recommended, but they Yamaha are very high value.

Steve/bluewizard

Ned Senior

Best value in a Stereo amp -

Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver, AM/FM, 80w/ch, DAC (w/ 2xOptical, 2xCoaxial, 1xUSB-Media), Bluetooth, Network Streaming of Audio from local storage and the Internet - £380 -

Yamaha AS501 Integrated amp, 85w/Ch, DAC (1xOptical, 1xCoaxial) - £250 to £299 -.

Alternate, -

Yamaha AS701 Integrated Amp, 100w/ch DAC (1xOptical, 1xCoaxial) - £399 -

YAMAHA AS701Black Stereo Amplifier

Can't fault the other amps recommended, but they Yamaha are very high value.

Steve/bluewizard
You must have earned a few million ££££££ by now from Yamaha Steve [emoji2]
Are you a shareholder????

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
You must have earned a few million ££££££ by now from Yamaha Steve [emoji2]
Are you a shareholder????
They are good quality high value amps. For someone on a limited budget, they represent outstanding value. Now you can spend more money and get less amp, though perhaps higher quality.

When I evaluate amps, especially for those on a budget, I keep coming back to Yamaha. However, that only goes just so far. There is a point where the money gets high enough, that quality is certainly the deciding factor.

And ... I make suggestions about what can be done, I don't tell people what to do.

In deciding, a person has to make there on decision about features, power, and quality. The Marantz PM6006 (~£280) is indisputably a good amp, but it is 45w/ch. That's fine, as long as you know what you are getting. I used a 45w/ch Amp for decades and was very satisfied. But today I use a 120w/ch amp.

The same with the NAD C326, definitely a good amp. but about 50w/ch and priced at ~£350.

But the Yamaha AS501 is also a good amp and it has a DAC and 85w/ch, and can be found for £250.

So, it is down to priorities. In the suggested price range, Yamaha are certainly worth considering.

Steve/bluewizard

Ned Senior

They are good quality high value amps. For someone on a limited budget, they represent outstanding value. Now you can spend more money and get less amp, though perhaps higher quality.

When I evaluate amps, especially for those on a budget, I keep coming back to Yamaha. However, that only goes just so far. There is a point where the money gets high enough, that quality is certainly the deciding factor.

And ... I make suggestions about what can be done, I don't tell people what to do.

In deciding, a person has to make there on decision about features, power, and quality. The Marantz PM6006 (~£280) is indisputably a good amp, but it is 45w/ch. That's fine, as long as you know what you are getting. I used a 45w/ch Amp for decades and was very satisfied. But today I use a 120w/ch amp.

The same with the NAD C326, definitely a good amp. but about 50w/ch and priced at ~£350.

But the Yamaha AS501 is also a good amp and it has a DAC and 85w/ch, and can be found for £250.

So, it is down to priorities. In the suggested price range, Yamaha are certainly worth considering.

Steve/bluewizard
Haha it was a jokey post steve, a short hoho or cheeky git would have sufficed

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Haha it was a jokey post steve, a short hoho or cheeky git would have sufficed
Cool ... so... care to take a ride on my YACHT? I named it the "Yamaha".

I knew you were kidding, but I thought it still wise to explain my perspective, since I am very conscious of the fact that I recommend Yamaha a lot.

There are better amps, just for considerably more money, and for those who don't have considerably more money, Yamaha are worth at least checking out.

As for myself, right now I have TWO Onkyo Stereo Receivers (50w/ch), a Yamaha Stereo Receiver (100w/ch), and a Rotel Integrated Amp (120w/ch). The Rotel at THREE TIMES the price, does not sound all that much different than the Yamaha.

Steve/bluewizard

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
Any views on the Onkyo A9010?

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Are you averse to buying used? You'd get a much better amp for your money & will recoup most of it if you decide to sell when you move again.

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
No not at all I would buy something used

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom