1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on New DVD Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Indiana Jones, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Nov 4, 2003
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I have only ever had two DVD Players, my first was a Samsung 709 which I got back in 1999 and my second is my Divx DK-339 DVD Player which I got a few months ago.

Now at first I thought it was a great upgrade as the Divx player could read everything I put in it whether it was MP3 music on a CD/DVD or a backed up DVD but I have recently started buying NTSC titles and the player doesnt seem to work that well with them. When I leave my player in PAL the NTSC playback is laggy and when I set the player to NTSC the colours get screwed up and are way too bright.
    Also, the DVD Player doesnt seem to be able to tell when a DVD is 16:9 or 4:3 so I have to change the aspect ratio on my TV manually. I know this isnt a big thing but even my Samsung 709 could change the TV to correct ratio and this player not being able to do it is quite annoying.

Another reason why I upgraded was so that I could watch downloaded Divx TV shows and this has worked fine for ages but now the newest shows like Battlestar Galactica and Enterprise must be encoded using a new codec as they playback jumping on the player and I dont really see any point in keeping the player when it cant even do the most basic thing it was bought for.

So now I am looking for a good replacement player ideally with a PAL 60hz setting like my Samsung 709 had so I can playback my NTSC titles without being laggy but without the colours going screwy either. It must also be Region Free, handle seamless branching, be able to tell what aspect ratio the DVD is in and change my TV accordingly and be able to read standard DVDrs and MP3 files, playback of Divx isnt that important but if there is a Divx player out there that is easily upgraded and can do all the above then let me know, if not then can anyone suggest a DVD Player which will do all the above minus Divx playback.