advice on new car please...

What about mr reliable Mondeo Estate? ive owned a 2000 330D series and used to cost me a fortune in running repairs / maintenance lush car though.. If you do go down that road check the brakes and calipers are in good shape or recently done. My calipers got stuck on and same thing happened to some one I know on a 05 shape. Not saying this is specific to BMW just not the cheapest parts. Check over the car for rust on arches , boot and sills among other things. Just some of my own thoughts anyway.

Lol so you know two people with a land rover who had issues and they are all bad. Yet Alfa is good :)

Er...yes....I'm struggling to see why this would be so unbelievable, apart from urban myth making it seem unbelievable to you.
An Alfa, more reliable than a very expensive Land Rover, NEVER!! :eek:
If I had better video editing skills, I'd post the video of the 'smoke machine' (brand new) Range Rover.
But I wouldn't want voices or registrations shown.
As for Alfa interiors, their quality is perfectly in keeping with their price range.
But you always seem to want to compare interiors (Alfa/Hyundai) with much more expensive cars, for some weird reason.:confused:

I test drove the 1.4T Giulietta - I liked the looks, the interior was a bit flashy, hard to describe but very marmite. But the killer was it just didn't want to go like the GTi I'd just got out of. Even set on Dynamic/Sport mode it felt really really strained. May be the 2.0 Cloverleaf would have been right but I couldn't find one to buy in 150miles.

Er...yes....I'm struggling to see why this would be so unbelievable, apart from urban myth making it seem unbelievable to you.
An Alfa, more reliable than a very expensive Land Rover, NEVER!! :eek:
If I had better video editing skills, I'd post the video of the 'smoke machine' (brand new) Range Rover.
But I wouldn't want voices or registrations shown.
As for Alfa interiors, their quality is perfectly in keeping with their price range.
But you always seem to want to compare interiors (Alfa/Hyundai) with much more expensive cars, for some weird reason.:confused:
No you totally mis-understood me despite me trying to avoid that from happening :) But yes, I guess that is why it is so dark this week, all those smoking Range Rovers...

Considering that the Alfa Mito for example I looked at is not cheap by any means, starts @ £19K...I don't think it is that weird personally...Even compared to Fiat 500 it is just not good enough...Or take a gullieta basic 1.6 that is also a £19K car...Put that against an equivalent 1.6 Golf, also at £19K and the quality of the interior is worlds apart...Fair enough a Hyundai i30 is £2K cheaper, and to me that is noticeable, as simple as opening and closing the doors...

This is where we disagree, but it comes down to the individual.
I don't think they are worlds apart at all.
They weren't even worlds apart when I went from a Golf Gti 1.8T to a 156 in 1999/2000.
If there is any reduction in quality of materials used, the Alfa interiors make up for it by being a whole lot more more interesting to sit in than a VW

Last edited:
Golf/Leon/Astra/Focus/Mazda3/Megane/Alfa Giulietta/Toyota Auris
They're all in the same class.
FWIW, I'm toying with the idea of getting rid of my Dooper and getting one of the above.
My thoughts below

Golf - Very boring, had three, not interested
Leon - Same running gear as Golf, but much better looking and better equipment

Having test driven both the new Golf and new Leon (little off topic because your not looking for new) as a driver's car I'd tip my hat to the Leon. The Leon FR 181 bhp diesel handled far better than a Golf GT (not the GTD as the dealer didn't have one available to test). The Seat was well screwed together but not as upmarket as the Golf and the seats in the Golf were far better. I really wanted to stay out longer in the Leon whereas I was more than happy to turn around in the Golf. To say I was disappointed with the Golf was an understatement. No doubt the GTD and GTI will be far better, but for a good few thousand quid less then the Leon FR is a really good buy.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom