Advice on new build

Could do with a budget and what you are using the build for tbh.

As some of the parts seem strange choices, the X58 chipset and the 5900rpm drive.

My budget is about £900.

I use it mostly for gaming and watching movies. Also will be using it for video and sound editing.

Maybe change to Sandy Bridge socket 1155, i5 2500k save yourself some cash as well

Would that processor still fit the motherboard? I thought the socket had to be the same for both?

No it would not, sandy bridge is the latest CPU architecture from Intel, so would use different motherboard, they use socket "1155" mobos, H67 version can use intergrated graphics and P67 version does not use intergrated graphics but is more high end eg. overclocking etc.
So if you want to use Sandy bridge you gotta switch the motherboard as well and probably the RAM as it runs dual channel so you would want 4 or 8GB but still DDR3

+1 Sweat.
Go for the i5-2500K with a P67 motherboard (Asus or Gigabyte get my vote, this can help)

He is also right about the RAM. 4 or 8 is important to have. My personal experience with RAM is that it's not worth investing in - go for something cheaper.

Instead of the GTX 550 Ti get a Radeon HD 6870. The price gap is pretty small but the performance gap can be as big as 24%.

Thanks for all the advice guys, sadly I'm gonna have to delay my build for a bit. Just had a hefty MOT bill. :(

Don't be saying things like that, mines due this month lol.

Hopefully I aint jinxed it Jasp. My driver side window wasnt working and it was £247.50 to have that fixed by itself.

Hopefully your MOT bill will delay you just about long enough to see the new AMD bulldozers which will be as good as sandybridge for even cheaperr!! :)

Bloody hell, hope that included the price of the MOT also lol.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom