• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice on new amp please

rollinson1

Established Member
I am currently looking to replace my Marantz Sr7001 which to be honest I have been more than happy with. I have a Q Acoustics 1020i speaker package (which is sufficient for the room I have) and want an amp that will pass 3D and connect to the internet, any ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks Paul

PSM1

Distinguished Member
What is your budget?
The performance of the 7001 would seem a little of an overkill considering your speakers.
With your speakers I would often recommend recievers like Denon 1911, Yamaha 667 (about to be 671), Onkyo 608 (now 609).

rollinson1

Established Member
To be honest I have been thinking about the Onkyo 609 but thought it a bit of a comedown from the marantz. The reason for the Overkill as you put it was my budget at the time. Got the amp half price from Superfi so was a bargain and the sound from these speakers with this amp is actually quite surprising, as I had a demo before buying the speakers I knew what kind of sound I was getting.
Ps hav'nt actually got a budget but like your saying I really don't need to go over the top.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Sounds like you had the 7001 for a good price and was probably worth getting even with your current speakers. The current replacement for your reciever, the 7005, is close to £1k which I suspect will be a little too much.
I would go and have a listen to some of the lesser models mentioned to see how much worse they sound, you may be surprised how little there is in it.

Member 513627

Established Member
The 609 has the features you are looking for, and I suppose technically it's a step down in range from your marantz, but it's more than capable of handling your speakers.

rollinson1

Established Member
So after a fortnight of shopping around I finally got a great deal on a Pioneer VSX LX53 and as this is a better spec than my Marantz Sr7001 I will be looking to upgrade my speakers in the future but meanwhile I have a couple of questions for anyone who has any knowledge of this reciever.
1) Can you reassign the default audio on Cd, Dvd etc. I.e I want to make Cd Hdmi but it is darkened out and won't highlight in the menu. The only way Ive done it so far is to rename Hdmi 2 to Dvd but I really don't want two Dvd options if you get my drift.
2) Renamed Hdmi 3 to Tv/Sat and got picture & audio great but after much searching had to reroute the Hdmi to Tv as there appears to be no Hdmi passthrough in standby, but when i put my Marantz Dv7001 player in the same slot I got no audio
Any ideas would be very much appreciated.
Thanks Paul

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom