Advice on my set-up

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by siy, Jul 21, 2004.

1. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am fairly new to this forum. I have recently installed a plasma, and moved my amp, dvd etc out of sight to smarten things up. My kit is middle of the road stuff, mainly high end sony stuff, and about 4 years old.

Would like anyone's opinion on the speakers. I have a set of floor standing Mission 774's, with the matching centre speaker (77 ???). I also run the Mission bi-pole rears, the sort of triangular looking ones. The sub is a powered yamaha job - didn't cost that much a few years ago about £200

As I don't have a high end set up, do people consider these speakers to be adequate, or are they now out-dated? Would a small set of eggs or bose things be better?

Personally, I am very happy with them - just would like to know people's opinion, as I am totally clueless with it all. If recommendations are to change them, then I guess I will have to start saving.

Thanks all
    Siy

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I'd stick with what you've got, the Mission 77 series was very, very good. I use some myself :)

I would very much recommend a sub upgrade though, depending on budget consider the MS309 for £230, BK XLS200 for £280 or larger models if funds allow :)

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,790
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!! Seriously, if it still satisfies your needs then it is fine. I know more than a few industry people who still have a pair of 774's floating about (in many ways I wish I still had mine). If you've got an itchy wallet, then I'd argue more valid advances have been made in the last few years in just about everything but speakers. Eviljohn's comments on the sub might be valid although some good Yamaha subs went out for a song about the time you bought yours.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    As the others have said,if you're happy with the sound,don't change the system.....just my opinion,but I'd say the speakers you have are easily superior to either of the alternatives you mentioned.

The sub definitely is worth changing,and there are a huge number of suitable models....a quick look through the subs section may be a useful beginning,to get an idea of what's around,and various opinions.

At any level,you can always upgrade,at least in terms of cost,although not always sound quality....be very sure,and try as many as you can,before even considering buying.

5. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you guys - ver re-assuring. Thats great news actually. That means I can spend more on upgrading dvd and cd.

Will think about the sub too - only reason that I may leave that untouched, is that it hardly gets used. Now that I am married, and with 6 month old child, if the level gets turned up - I get told to turn it off! No fair!!!

Any other opinions?
    Thanks again
    siy

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I'd favour you spent the money on media, alternatively take your kid to Disneyland in a few years when he's old enough :smashin: