1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on my options

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by julianj, Feb 23, 2005.

Tags:
  1. julianj

julianj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I currently have a freeview box connected to a 42'' plasma. I have no capacity to record programs. I'm interested in the possibilities of a PVR, but I also need a new PC / laptop so thought I could perhaps combine the two.

I would like to be able to record programs to the laptop's hard disc and then either burn them to DVD and watch them on the TV or connect the laptop to the TV and play the recording directly that way.

What are the issues I need to consider here? Will the picture be good when I plug the laptop into the plasma? What will the format of recorded DVDs be? How do I know if I will be able to play them on my current dvd player? Should I consider a Media Centre PC with a Media Centre extender for the TV?

Any advice appreciated.

Julian.

2. clawson

clawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While you can get PCI cards that have DTT tuner on board that would receive and record Freeview to the PC hard drive I don't know of such a box for a laptop so I fear you'd need an external Freeview decoder and an external TV capture card then feed the composite (or if you're lucky S-video) from the FV adapter to the TV capture which will then re-MPEG the analogue signal back to a degraded quality MPEG digital stream on the laptop but it's not going to be as good quality as FV->plasma cos you are going digital->low_quality_analogue->digital->analogue rather than just digital->analogue.

Cliff

3. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  4. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'd get a twin tuner PVR and a DVD recorder - it's unlikely that you'll want to copy everything to DVD (R/RW) anyway from freeview, which is the main attraction of a PVR - watch and wipe - and the output will look fab on your plasma. Then if you get a laptop, make sure it plays back your DVD recordable format.

5. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +342
    Another option is to build a HTPC, and have Windows XP MCE 2005, which will meet all of your needs. There are some online videos about this that I have just found - here http://channel9.msdn.com/

lisa
    :smashin: