Advice on my new Logitech X230 speakers

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by Bascule, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Bascule

Bascule
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like some advice.

I recently upgraded my 6 year old Teac stereo PC speakers with some Logitech X-230 2.1 speakers and the sound is just not quite right. Not enough top end and too much bass. Now I know that these speakers will deliver a less harsh treble sound and a lot more bass but I'm sure it's not right. It almost sounds muffled.

The system board is a 6 or 7 year old Asus (can't remember the number) and the onboard sound is C-Media CMI8738 chip. I'm guessing this may be my problem?

The PC has three 3.5mm jack sockets which, by default, are for stereo out, line in and mic but the audio utility lets you reconfigure these so that you can use one for left and right and another for a sub. BUT my new speakers just have a 3.5mm jack and that's it. Does that mean they are expecting some sort of clever digital signal with info that's just for the sub and some for the left and right? The speakers are connected to a standard stereo output. Should they be supplied with a special "2.1" signal from a sound card designed to support 2.1 properly? Or does it take a standard stereo output and then share the frequencies out to the correct speakers itself?

Any advice gratefully received....:)

2. andsaw

andsaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi, i have a set of these myself and basically the single jack plug is for the lime green socket thats on the pc the signals go to sub and the amp sorts the sound out ie left right and sub you only need stereo speakers selected in audio setup,they cant be any easier to use the only thing you need to do is adjust the bass knob and thats it on mine they are loud i cant go above one quarter turn on the volume and crystal clear unbelievable for such small speakers,also have you tried a different player, see if that helps.

3. fat head

fat head

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    yeh do what andsaw said. Dont split the system, use the green jack in the front left&right channnels to sub and your speakers from your sub. The sub enhances the bass from the left&right signals. if you've done that and there's still a problem then there's another problem. i get great sound out of mine (not to rub it in lol).

4. LAV64

LAV64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Ive just got a set of these speakers, and the bass Is way too loud even when It`s turned down to 0 on the sub, Its doing me nut In, love the speakers but cant put up with the overly loud bass.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009