Advice on MP3 Player Addition for Scenic

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by nickb23, Apr 30, 2007.

1. nickb23

nickb23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi All,
    I am about to get a 05 Scenic, and I would like some advice on setting it up to play from my MP3 player.
    It seems that there are a possiblility of 2 different types of Head Unit in the scenic, a Tuner List or Upgrade List, and this has got my head all confused. Anyway if I set out what I would like to have, hopefully someone can tell me if it is possible or not..

At the moment I have a Creative Zen Xtra that is not really getting much use, and it would be fantastic if I can somehow intergrate this into my new car. I have seen that Renault sells a box called a Tunepoint that has both aux and usb connectivity that can be fitted to both the tuner and update HU's, but I have heard it costs about £150 (with fitting). This makes me think that it might be better to get a new Head Unit with built in USB connection - (through the back so that I can feed it invisibly to the glove box to the MP3 player) and to still be able to control it with the on steering wheel controls, and the display on the Scenic. Also if this is possible, would I be able to control all the music on my mp3 player through the Head Unit, like choosing artist , album, song etc?

Also has anyone added a cigerette lighter adaptor within the glovebox? I think the new new scenics have one built in, but I don't think the 54 / 05 models do. Saying that though, there is a hole in the glove compartment that looks like it is there for feeding wires through.....

thanks all

Nick B

2. CoolGav

CoolGav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently got an 06 Megane, and have been trying to get my iPod working with the Update List HU. Hopefully I can pass on what I've learned from that.

Your Scenic should have an Update List radio. the only real difference between the older Tuner List and the Update List is the addition of an aux input on the Update List. This page has some details. So the aux in is analogue audio only, and you can get (on ebay and doubtless other places) an adaptor to fit in and give you an input you can use for audio only. It wouldn't do any control or recharging, but is guaranteed to work.

The CD Changer port on both Tuner List and Update List uses a S/PDIF input, which if you don't know is digital (it stands for Sony/Philips Digital InterFace). It also provides the data protocol to talk with a CD Changer.

I came from a Peugeot 307 and fitted a Dension Ice>Link plus (which never worked that reliably), which did allow control from the HU/stalk and charged my iPod. I got a new cable set for that, but it doesn't work. Anyway, you don't have an iPod, so it's a moot point.

You might be able to find an adaptor or two from Connects2 to do what you want, otherwise see if Renault can source the Tunepoint.

Also you might want to check out the Megane II Owners Club Forum