Advice on MESH System Please.

mikeybabes2

Distinguished Member
Hi All, I'm looking for a mesh system for my house.

I currently have a 4 bedroom house, but I've had the loft converted and an orangery put on the back of the house. The signal is generally OK throughout the house, but in the loft conversion and the orangery it's very poor indeed. I have a SKY Q mini box in the orangery and it keeps dropping out (but only when I want to watch something - otherwise it's fine) and generally driving me bats.

It did do me a favour however, and prevented me from wasting my time and watching the England v Scotland match yesterday - so it's not all bad.....

There is also hardly any signal in the garden, or garage, which has been converted into a gym, so I'm thinking 3-4 base stations would be needed.

The other thing is I have two teenage children, and despite long 'discussions' they have been spending way too much time on line. I've resorted to turning the router off on evenings, but of course it's a pain in the backside with all the other devices needing to be online (even the flipping fridge !), and sometimes I want to be use the internet in the evening myself. So I want some controls to limit the time the kids are online. I have heard that some of these mesh systems require a subscription for parental controls, which as a Yorkshireman is against my religious principles.

Amazon are having a big sale on 20th-21st, so it seems like it might an idea to get something in the sale - the eeoro seems interesting and is very likely to be on sale. (We have three Alexa's in the house on music duty.....)

Can anyone give me any recommendations ? My service provider is Kingston Internet and if you know about Hull and the surrounding area re telephone lines, you'll know that I have no choice of a different service provider.

I'm currently thinking Eero, but any advice would be gratefully received.....

Splutter

I currently have a 4 bedroom house, but I've had the loft converted and an orangery put on the back of the house. The signal is generally OK throughout the house, but in the loft conversion and the orangery it's very poor indeed. I have a SKY Q mini box in the orangery and it keeps dropping out (but only when I want to watch something - otherwise it's fine) and generally driving me bats.

It did do me a favour however, and prevented me from wasting my time and watching the England v Scotland match yesterday - so it's not all bad.....

There is also hardly any signal in the garden, or garage, which has been converted into a gym, so I'm thinking 3-4 base stations would be needed.

The other thing is I have two teenage children, and despite long 'discussions' they have been spending way too much time on line. I've resorted to turning the router off on evenings, but of course it's a pain in the backside with all the other devices needing to be online (even the flipping fridge !), and sometimes I want to be use the internet in the evening myself. So I want some controls to limit the time the kids are online. I have heard that some of these mesh systems require a subscription for parental controls, which as a Yorkshireman is against my religious principles.

Amazon are having a big sale on 20th-21st, so it seems like it might an idea to get something in the sale - the eeoro seems interesting and is very likely to be on sale. (We have three Alexa's in the house on music duty.....)

Can anyone give me any recommendations ? My service provider is Kingston Internet and if you know about Hull and the surrounding area re telephone lines, you'll know that I have no choice of a different service provider.

If you are thinking Eero hold off till Monday and Tuesday, I’d expect sales for Amazon Prime day. I’ve got the eero myself and been very happy with it, huge improvement upstairs in the house and in the garden. Also wire everything you can, the more you free up the wifi network the better it should work.

oneman

Eero is already on offer. Don't know if it will drop any further.

Usual advice applies, try and backhaul via ethernet if possible. TBH try and move all fixed location devices to Ethernet will make your WiFi better.

razy60

If going fully wired is a problem then homeplugs would be the next option. As far as limiting the time on a network don't most routers have a restriction ability built in, Normally its based in the ip of the device's.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom