1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on Media Centre PC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Jazz Monkey Jr, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,625
    I am looking to build up/buy a new media centre PC. I don't use it for gaming any more but would like a fairly decent spec for paying HD demos etc but also fairly quiet.
    I am looking for a nice small case, a shuttle would be nice.

I also need DVI and VGA output

Can you recommend which are the best CPU's/gfx to use in a media centre PC.
    I usually get my bits from scan.co.uk as it is only down the motorway, but if you can recommend anywhere else.

Thanks

Mal

2. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Everyone seems to have their favorite hardware - I doubt there is any "best".

My preference (wether HT or PC) is for the AMD64 (socket 939) - Amazing performace for the money AFAIC and they run pretty cool, which of course helps in keeping your system quiet. I run a 3000+ in my HTPC with a Gigabyte Cooler Super Silent Rocket Heatsink - seems to cool it fine and whisper quiet - although there are some fanless solutions out there. So many heatsinks and fans to choose from out there its silly. Might be worth looking through what scan have and checking for reviews and db levels.

There is a fanless Gigabyte nVidia 6600 gfx card out there as well - in both PCI-Express and AGP flavours. Scan only carry the PCI-Express version I beleive. Quietpc.com have both versions. Both cards have VGA and DVI.

Cases are a very personal thing. I went with the Accent HT400 from QuietPC - its not cheap (nor expensive ;)) but I do like the look of it :cool:

3. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,625
    I meant 'best' as in good performance but not too noisy.