1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on making Sub for home

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by khalilk, Aug 11, 2003.

1. khalilk

khalilk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Howdy everybody ...

I have a 15" Rockford fostgate Sub RFP2415 model which is really a car subwoofer .. I wanna make it into a Home use sub (if you know wot i mean.

I also have Rockford fosgate AMP 125.2 Punch .. an was wondering wot would be a good volume for the totally sealed box suitable for home cenima and secondly can i use the amp to juice the sub if so how ? Help me please ...

incase i can not use the amp .. wot amp can i buy that will juice it up make model ... are sub amps any different to normal amps ?

I have a Sony STRB 930 which has sub out (RCA type connection) which i can take feed from .... any recommendations ?

Or would it be cheaper to buy a ready made sub ?

thanks guys .. kindest regards ...KK

2. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Afraid I don't the driver your talking about, I have the stats (in WinISD) for 2412 and the 2812. Your best bet is to do some searching and see if you can find the driver stats, then use something like winisd to calculate the enclosure.

WinIsd is freeware and you can find it from www.linearteam.org.

Hope this helps a bit.

Slingshot

3. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sorry not sure about the amp, presumably it's a car amp so you'd need to convert mains to 12V. A sub amp panel for home use will allow you to change the upper rolloff and the volume on the amp itself.

If your surround amp give you all the control you need i.e. volume and crossover control then there's no reason why you can't just use a power amp.

4. khalilk

khalilk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Howdy Amigos and Amigoets ... thanks for the advice ...

Power amps sounds like a good option ! and i'll make a suitable box ...

Regarding WINISD for calculating enclosure volumes .. I did find the states for the sub and now i have conflicting volume enclosures ... rockford recommend a 56Ltrs (2ft^3) sealed box .. winISD calculates the volume to be 147ltrs (5.2ft^3) ..why does WINISD give me such a large volume as compared to rocky's recommended enclosure volume.

confusion ?!?!

Will the route of making a sub for home use using the ROcky RFP2415 and driving by a power amp be a good option of just buying a budget ready made sub ? any brand names tried and tested budget subs for home use ?

the rocky sub is rated 200 W (rms) i dont really want to drive it super hard just enough to get a decent rumble from the movies ..what power amp would you recommend make model and cost (links to where i might get some info on the power amps too) .. wanna keep to a minimum budget here poeples ... otherwise my wife will disown me and throw me out of the house !

your help is very much appriciated ... kindest regards ... KK

(budget ~ $500 (ausi) --> $1000(ausi) )

5. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Why not try a practical experiment and get a discarded cardboard box of around the size you're thinking of and tape it shut with sellotape. Cut out a circle with a stanley knife and try the driver in it at low volume. It's not perfect but it will give you an idea of the reponse you will get it a proper cabinet.

6. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Were the Fosgate recommendations based on car use ? You don't really need a big box in a car.

You don't have to stick to WInisd default setting try modelling a 47 litre box in WinIsd. WinISD I think selects the optimum setting for bass response and SPL dependendent on one of the driver stats. There's nothing stopping you changing the volume and comparing the results. My driver came out as 67l however I built a 90l to get more response at the bottom.

Hope this helps.

MDF is so cheap I've actually built a couple of different volumes to see which suits my room best.