Advice on long throw DLP projectors

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Yomama, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Yomama

Yomama

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have recently decided to get my first projector for home cinema entertainment. My problem is the distance from the sofa to the wall, where I would like to place the screen is relatively long 5 metres, and there is only enough wall space to fit at max a 92" widescreen. As I would like the projector to be situated behind the sofa out of the way, and not mounted on the ceiling with all the wires evident, I find myself in a difficult position as to the choice of projector available. I understand that I will require a long throw projector for this purpose but have only found one (Infocus Screenplay 5700; 2.08-2.6 distance/width throw ratio) in the 1200-1600 GBP price-range.
    Although I have read some quite good reviews about this projector, most of them are out of date and so still unsure of getting this one. Could anyone suggest any other projectors of similar quality with long throw ratio in the same price range. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Cheers.

2. Stompy

Stompy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Maybe make some sort of box on the ceiling that hides the wires etc.?
    Take a look at some of the ceiling installs on this site, theres some very neat solutions.

3. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,300
    Do you definitely want DLP?

The Sanyo Z4 fulfils your criteria for image size at your throw length.

Steve

4. UrbanSurvival

UrbanSurvival

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow I think you live in my house :) .

I was looking for a PJ to go in our lounge, could not be ceiling mounted and the throw range is 5.2 m, again behind the sofa. Based on furniture / beams / walls etc I can get a 92" diagonal screen in max.

I was also looking at the DLP PJ's. Really wanted to get the Optoma 72 but it would have been sitting on my knee. Went through the others and all DLP PJ's in that price range had some issues with throw range, lens shift, etc.

So I looked at LCD. Hitachi / Epson is to short a throw to be comfortable, didn't want the Panasonic and that left 1. And this post is a long way of agreeing with Stevelup :D I have just ordered a Z4 with a 92" Beamax R Black screen. The Z4 allows for loads of placements options, I just need to find a way of getting the PJ 1.5m off the ground in a way that can be easily collapsed when not in use.

Hope these ramblings are of some help.

Cheers

5. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,276
    I had a similar dilema - at the time the Philips Bogart was the only PJ I could afford that would throw a small enough image over a long enough range (4.5m to 180cm wide).
    They'll only be available second hand now and have probably been superceeded by the later generations.

6. Seadog-Peter

Seadog-Peter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a 5 meter throw but a max screen width of 72" given the pitched loft ceiling. I had a demo of the Z4 but it was not for me, unfortunately as my alternative was the SIM Domino 30 at 3 times the price - Ho Hum. From other posts the Z4 I saw was clearly not performing at its best so set up would be important. I've home demoed the Sim and the picture was excellant out of the box and did make my mind up that the cost was worth it in my case (no rainbow issue in the family).

7. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    The 5700 is a superb pj at a truly affordable price. The 7205 will also fit the throw distance with the advantage of the zoom lens being able to be used.
    If you can mount something on the ceiling the effort it will take will be well worth it for the ease of use later. Just sits there, no one touches it, doesnt defocus, and take a lot of the noise away.:smashin:

8. Yomama

Yomama

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for all your comments and advice. I will definitely take them into consideration but I think I've got my heart set on a DLP since they seem to be the way forward in PJ technology, getting better contrast and no screen door effect.

I've managed to locate a website (http://www.projector-discount.co.uk/infocus_sp5700.html) which sell the SP5700 at a good price at around 1300 GBP (best price over here is about 1600 GBP) but the company is located in Germany and only accept payment by cash (bank transfer). Has anyone used these vendors before or had any problems with purchasing stuff from them?
    I have ordered the SP5700 and hope to get it delivered end of next week if all goes well.

Again, thanks for your help :thumbsup:
    Yo.