advice on lighting home cinema please...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by liamt, Jan 9, 2012.

1. liamt

liamt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,487
    Hi guys

we have bought a new house and i intend to knock through from lounge to garage to make the lounge much bigger and have a home cinema area. i would like to add some controllable lighting around the room. maybe control colour and brightness.

can someone give me some ideas please. not sure if we want full downlight LED spots or some form of uplighter on each side of the room as we intend to put in some fitted shelves for our movies and books (2500 DVDs, 500 blu-ray and about 500 books!!!) so we could hide the lighting above the shelving somehow.

thanks guys.

2. slAVe

slAVe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi there, I have a product called Philips Dynalite. Its simply awesome with soooo many uses. I could talk for hours on it. There is a load controller (multi purpose) that is very flexible DDMC802 / GL are the 2 i have; these were used as they are modular. They have 8 channels that can be individually tailored to suite the load & type of fitting used; be it mains LED, Switched, incandescent, Fluro etc...
    They do this with the use of individual channel Input cards, so from one load controller i have 3 channels for LED lighting, 4 channels of Normal 50w Halogens & a switched 2amp circuit.
    I think RGB colour control is done with a different product (DDLEDC605GL) but sits on the same "Network" & is configured to the room in the programming.

The keypads are possibly the nicest ive seen too, ive got the Black Glass revolution ones.... yum! :smashin:

Multi Purpose controller.
    Multipurpose Controllers - Philips Dynalite Products - Philips
    Keypads etc:
    User Interfaces - Philips Dynalite Products - Philips

You can do some cool things with the time clock to like sun rise / set applications.

There's an App too!! :clap:

3. liamt

liamt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,487
    thanks but it seems a bit overkill to be honest. around £200 just for the controller.

at my last house i just had radio controller dimmer switch (£25) hooked up to the lighting.

i was thinking something a bit more simple (since we just blew a load of cash on a new kitchen too) that was just a set of LED lights (say 2 sets of 3m) and a controller device such as a dimmer?

on ebay i see led lighting strips with dimmers and controllers for £30 ;)

4. liamt

liamt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,487
  5. liamt

liamt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,487
    ordered them - i think its worth £60 to see. if not im sure i can use them in the office/den :)

6. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,386
    Those lights are the best lighting solution for a TV that I've come across (I've got a set).

7. bighairybloke

bighairybloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    nice solution, is it possible to increase the distance between the leds so that the 3m becomes 6 or 7 meters? do you have a close up of one? id like to use something like these for all the way round my 4.5mx7m room so need 23meters of it!

steve

8. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,386
    not unless you're a magician ;) Do a search for LED lights on the forums, plenty of photos...

9. supraTTman

supraTTman
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Flexible LED strips come on a 5m reel, so you'll need 5 reels. They come in 2 flavours, 30 LED/m and 60 LED/m, the photo shows 60/m. The cut points are every 5cm for the 60/m and every 10cm for the 30/m. For 23m you will need 1 RGB Amplifier (4A/ch) if you use 30/m strips, or 2 RGB Amps if you use 60/m strips. The 12V power supply requirements are 14A (30/m) or 28A (60/m).

Attached Files:

10. dee12345

dee12345
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

does anyone know whether you can wire these LED ropes into your mains circuit?

I have remove da wall light and was planning on putting some type of light up in its place but really like the idea of having an LED rope light in its place.

Not sure whether I can use the light power supply from the wall and power the led set thats being talked about in here.

11. liamt

liamt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,487