Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Advice On Learning To Use My New Digital Camera Please?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by wokeye, May 29, 2003.

1. wokeye

wokeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I was wondering if anybody know's a decent resource for information regarding using manual functions on a digital camera. I have recently bought an Olympus C4000 (superb value with recent price cut!) and I want to learn how to get more from its manual settings. All the books I have looked at for digital photography seem to mainly cover the image editing software not the actual taking of photographs, i.e. setting the aperture, shutter speed etc. I just want to grasp the fundamentals of what these controls achieve. Would I be better buying a normal photography book, which maybe more biased towards film photography or are there significant differences between the two and is there possibly a book geared more towards digital photography (taking the photos not editing them) available. Any ideas please?

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Look at www.dpreview.com.

They explain the interaction between aperture, shutter time, exposure compensation andISO speed. There are all under a section called lessons.

If you need more than that let me know.

You could always post questions on here.

beauty of digital camera is to simply play!!! Use things like bracketing if you have it to see the effect of changing parameters (ie 3 shots where you change one parameter above and below what auto recommends)

there is little difference between analogue and digotal photography regarding the effects of changing these parameters so an old SLR analogue book would still provide good advice

3. wokeye

wokeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Ok mate, thanks very much for the advice I shall try your suggestions out, and look at the web link,

Cheers

4. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry the subsection is learn not lessons.

Glossary tells you what each bit does.

Lots of concise info in here