Advice on Laptop Hi Fi

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Ascotbilly, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Ascotbilly

Ascotbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Have just bought Macbook and looking at basing a hifi around it. Have followed similar posts in the past and believe I have the following options.

1. macbook - dac - amp - speakers
    Pro - Most flexible Con - Takes up most space
    2. macbook - dac - active
    Pro - Possibly Cheaper than 1 Con - ??
    3. macbook - B&W Zepellin / Arcam ipod dock.
    Pro - Small footprint, Airplay feature, both sound very good to me but dont have a comparision with 1 or 2.
    Con - Standalone system - not flexible

Initially I would be looking a entry level kit as even these will be a huge improvement on recent listening qualities. For a dac I was looking at one of the low cost but well rated Behringer models.

Suggestions most welcomed.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  2. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    Hi

1 and 2 sounds better out of the 3. Active speakers setup are becoming popular but unless you are sure that its only the mac that will be used as a source, its could be limiting.

Opt 1 can use up more space but as you have stated, offers the most flexibillty for anything you want to add in the future. The stereo could also have its own onboard dac and not have to buy an external one

B&W what? Zepplin?

Not sure how the mac would connect to either the B&W or Arcam dock as thought they were meant for ipods/pads unless they have airplay, but i do not know enough about that to confirm either way. Would the Arcam doc require a amp of some sort also?

Maybe you can enlighten us.

What is the budget and do you have any components in mind?

3. Ascotbilly

Ascotbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Cheers Don, Typo earlier (corrected) Yes B&W Zepellin and the Arcam rCube support Airplay. I also have a couple of i-thingys so theres a good fit there.

Kit wise I am open to suggestions - Recent listening has been in the car or through an old netbook therefore anything will be an improvement. On this basis thought I would start at the budget end of kit and if I,m happy keep it for a while before hitting the upgrades ! The Behringer Dac I picked up from similar pc hifi threads, cheap and got great reviews.

Previously I've owned mid product range Arcam kit and I'm a fan of B&W / Mission speakers so perhaps I'd be looking to end up with that sort of kit.

4. daytona600

daytona600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Use myself genelec 6010a active monitors £ 375 with a dared ef-99 Usb dac £ 250 on my desktop
    compact & superb sounding matching sub if required

Attached Files: