1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on jvc widescreen tv`s

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by tinkerbell, May 13, 2002.

1. tinkerbell

tinkerbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

We have just got a Panasonic pl10 (had it just over a week) but for various reasons, it may be going back to the retailer. Have read a lot of good things about some 28inch jvc widescreens, including great picture quality, etc. Our budget is up to £600 or so - does not matter if its just nicam - picture quality etc is more important to us.
    If anyone has a jvc widescreen, I would be grateful for any advice.
    Did like the look of the AV 28S2EK (think its out of our price range)

Many thanks. :)

2. joecool

joecool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what problems did you have with your panasonic tv? see my thread panasonic tx32dk1 ghost image thru scart to see my problems.

3. tinkerbell

tinkerbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

haven`t had major problems, although we are having great problems with our aerial (being fixed very soon) which could be disguising problems with the set. This probably sounds silly, but the stand that came with the tv was not the same as advertised, only having 1 glass shelf instead of 2 - as Panasonic had changed the spec on these at the end of April - so anyone ordering & expecting the shelves to put all their equipment will be disappointed. Anyway, the stand is crap, & faulty & we paid for more shelves, unless we put the other stuff on the floor! Anyway, we asked for the original stand, they didn`t have it, so our options were, keep the tv with the stand (£20 off) or send the entire lot back! Not a lot of choice & it is very tempting to say - ok, take the lot back. Am I being silly - the stress of picking another tv is daunting - but the jvc`s sound good. I think you are right about currys - my sister is having trouble with a jvc camcorder she bought from dixons (same company!) Sorry you are having problems too - we run the video through the rf cable & our pioneer 525 through the scart (this is probably wrong)

Sorry to go on.

Many thanks. :)

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a JVC AV28R25 for a while. It was okay but I found the picture too dark on the RGB input (S-Video was fine), and nothing but brightness and picture tint could be adjusted here (by design). Geometry was pretty good etc except with bright pictures, then bend was very noticeable. Overall, picture quality was okay, nothing special. If you're not bothered about RGB (though I can't imagine why you *shouldn't* be), and you only want 2 S-Video scart inputs then go and have a look at one in store first and play with the settings in the remote. At the end of the day, it's down to what you like in a picture.

I wrote a brief review on another thread if you are interested (search for "AV28R25").

All the best.

5. tinkerbell

tinkerbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Squirrel,

Many thanks for your reply - you do get about, don`t you, I`ve seen your little picture all over the forums! I did read your advice on the jvc - what tv do you have at the moment then? Excuse me for being a bit thick, but I know we watch dvd`s through RGB, so obviously this will affect the picture - why is choosing a tv so stressful? Maybe we should stick with the Panasonic - if we go for a different make, there may be different problems.

Thanks again Squirrel. :) :)

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I find this forum strangely addictive :p Also, I've received so much good help from great people on here that I feel it's only fair I give some back when I can.... :)

I'm currently using a 3 yr old 14" PYE portable that I have brought out of the bedroom!! I have not yet made up my mind as to what widescreen TV to get yet. In the meantime, to cheer myself up, I bought the new Pace digital TV adapter :D The eye strain is beginning to kick in though :rolleyes: It pains me to say this, but if I could get a Sony set that didn't have scrolling bars problems then I'd be tempted to go for that. After researching all the major manufacturers in depth, Sony seem to have the least faults that would annoy me (bar the scrolling bars). Had a look at the new Sony KV28LS60 and KV32LS60 in a store last week and I saw no scrolling bars on those models and the picture was gorgeously sharp and bright (there were a few geometry problems, but nothing that I haven't seen elsewhere). There is of course the reliability issue though, as Sony's seem to be nothing as reliable as they used to be..... Gawd I hate trying to buy a television!! :mad:

Yes, if you watch DVD through RGB then the JVC will be a problem. The (Mastercare) engineer that came to look at mine rang back to base and said that they had had many complaints about the picture via RGB and it appeared to be a design problem. He was a nice guy, but it will be the last large purchase that I make from Currys/Dixons (for many reasons).

The bad news - Choosing a TV is stressful because there is nothing out there that actually meets the promises made by the manufacturer! All TVs have their problems; each make has its own peculiar quirks.

The good news - We are all going through this so at least you are not alone :) and if you buy from a decent retail outlet then you will have no problems exchanging the set if it's a lemon (or getting a refund).

I don't know if you should stick with the Panasonic or not, but certainly if you are happy with the picture and it's just the stand that is a problem then I know what I would do ..... just buy a nice stand from somewhere else! However, if you do consider this route, do make sure you check out all the potential problems first, such as those mentioned by joecool (which has been mentioned by others on this forum), as well as interference during NTSC playback (from moire patterns, which is only a problem if you have a region-free DVD player and buy Region 1 or 3 DVDs ), etc. As the DK model is not a flat screen, you shouldn't have the traditional "trademark" dark strips that you get with the Panny Tau (flat) models.

You might want to also check out the Philips PW6006 - most people on this forum seem happy with them (but again, do a search and have a look at one in store to make sure that the quirks with this model are things you can live with)

By the way, connect up your video to a Scart socket (you still need the RF lead connected as well, for TV reception) - you'll notice a great improvement in picture quality plus you will get the stereo/surround sound on videos (which you can't get through an RF lead).

Hope that's of some help to you - unfortunately there are no easy answers here! :(

7. tinkerbell

tinkerbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Squirrel,

thanks for your reply - we do have the tau flat screen - tx28pl10 -
    so what are these black lines you mentioned - something else for me to look for! Have to ring the retailer today, about the tv - its just annoying not getting the actual thing you see in the picture - if they offer a larger amount off, might stick with the Panasonic - I don`t think I could handle more telly stress! Thank god I know what new dvd player I want (Pioneer 444)

Thanks Squirrel. :) :)

8. rashomon

rashomon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Tinkerbell,

I'm getting one of these new fangled JVC's next Monday - see my 'Nervouse Anticipation' posting. If you like I can post my findings after I've played around with it a bit.

I sympathise with the position you are in ... having been there only too recently myself.

Cheers

Rashomon

9. tinkerbell

tinkerbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rashomon,

Thanks for your reply - actually I`ve just sorted out our tv problem over the phone, & we are keeping the Panasonic tx28pl10, but having a £30 refund because of problems with the stand. This is the best outcome - we are happy with the tv - have checked out various dvd`s , "Toy Story", "Matrix" etc, & the picture is beautiful. Haven`t come across any annoying things yet, but maybe we will in the future - am happy for now, at least - hooray!
    I hope you have no problems with your jvc - think we`d have gone for one if things were different - I`ve personally had many jvc things, video, old portable etc, & no trouble at all! You are right about the advice you get on these forums - I don`t think I would touch certain Philips tv`s, only because of what i`ve heard on here. Good luck with the tv - actually, now I need some advice about scart cables - will have to post another question!

Bye for now. :) :) tinkerbell

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, sorry! Read the model number from joecool's posting! :rolleyes:

A fantastic choice!

11. tinkerbell

tinkerbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Squirrel,

Nice to see you back again - as you can see I sorted out my tv stresses today, all done over the phone, but not without a bit of a struggle - I do hate it when you have to argue, even when its not your fault. Do you know anything about oxygen free scart cables, etc - are they worth paying a lot for - I`ve seen one in Argos for £16.99, but don`t know if its any good - or even what they do exactly or how they`re different from gold scarts, etc.

Thanks again Squirrel. :) :)

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you got things sorted!

I would definitely recommend an oxygen free scart but also the scart should have individually shielded cables (internally) - both these things reduce interference dramatically and result in much better picture and sound quality. The gold plated connections are also recommended - these yield better contact and conductivity between the connectors (i.e. between your TV scart socket and the Scart plug on the end of the cable). So check that the Argos cables also have this (as well as the other criteria) - I'm afraid I'm not familiar with them. Anyhow, as it's Argos, you can always take them back and get a refund if you're not happy with the quality :)

I bought Ixos cables (126AV - got Editor's Choice in Home Entertainment magazine) for my VCR-to-TV and DVD-to-TV connections (£35 for the 1.5m version from hifibitz.co.uk) and was mightily impressed with the quality (not just in terms of picture, but also in terms of build - these babies will last a lifetime!).

Good luck :D