• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice on John Lewis 50"+ TV's

Kibble

Standard Member
OK, here's my situation... I have a Sony KDL-52EX703 that is being written off on the warranty, due to several failed attempts to fix a back-light issue. Bought it back in 2010 from JL, but fortunately the 5-year warranty has saved me. Anyway, I will be getting a new replacement TV from JL, and I'm struggling to figure out which to get, although it will have to be from JL obviously. There don't seem to be any 52" these days, so I'm looking at 55", as the size bump would be nice, but I'm struggling to find anything that looks decent! Every review I'm reading, from virtually every brand and model, is complaining about contrast issues and poor blacks (seems to be the IPS panels)! What's this all about?? Can you not buy a good TV these days lol? I do watch a lot of films, so the contrast and good blacks are a very important factor for me. Should I drop in size to a 50"? Are there better models at this size? Again, JL must sell it, so if they don't, that's no good unfortunately. Budget wise we're talking up to around the £1500 mark, maybe a little more if really warranted. Thanks in advance.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Ask if they can get hold of a sony 55w905 for you?

Kibble

Standard Member
I can check on that. I'm a bit baffled as to what's going on with new TV's these days! Seems they've all taken a step backwards!

The new one doesn't HAVE to be a Sony by the way, I'm open to other brands.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom