Advice on integrated amp for a home theatre setup?

DavidCooper

Standard Member
First time post. I read recent similar posts before posting this. I'm looking for some advice.

What I want to do is have my front left and right connected to the integrated amp, and connect my turntable to the integrated amp, then connect the integrated amp to my AV receiver using 'HT passthrough' as its variously called, to power the remaining speakers.

I'm determined to improve the musical performance, since I've been restricted to a 'HT-only' setup for too long and want something with a more musical focus and ability. 50% vinyl, 50% Spotify.

Current equipment​

• AV receiver: Denon AVRX 2700
  • Turntable: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon
  • Front left and right speakers: KEF LS50 Meta on Atacama Moseco 6 stands filled with Atabites
  • Centre speaker: Monitor Audio Radius 225
  • Rears: KEF eggs (3001) on stands
  • Subwoofer: KEF 3001 HTB2
  • Hifi rack: Atacama
  • Speaker cables: Chord Company Carnival Silver Screen
I'd prefer the future setup to be suited to orchestral music (e.g. Rufus Wainright), electronic (house, psytrance) and 'drum solo'-type jazz.

Shortlist​

1. Roksan K3 £1300 - a popular favourite?
  2. Musical Fidelity M5Si £1800 - the silver version doesn't match anything, but looks great and performs well. Why no What Hifi reviews for this UK company?
  3. Marantz PM8006 £1100 - a safe bet? My last receiver was Marantz and I liked it. The musicality was much better than my current Denon.
  4. Yamaha A-S1200 £2000 - love the retro-style/meters on the front. Probably too big and heavy, though.
Some of these will take me longer to save up than others. All of these have the required 'pass-though' for Home Theatre, as far as I can tell. My budget is relatively high (is it?) because I only upgrade once every 10-15 years, so it's OK if the amp is a bit over-capable if it allows for upgrades elsewhere in the system.

I'd love to hear your thoughts or questions?

Last edited:

larkone

Distinguished Member
Why not a Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 - it has HT bypass and RoomPerfect. Fits you top end budget

Russ_64

I am afraid that RS are correct. The Denon AVR-X2700 does not have Multichannel Pre-outs, it only has subwoofer outputs (0.2). You will need X3700 or higher to get Preouts (11.2) as you need the Front L and R Preouts to connect an Integrated Amp in HT-bypass.

DavidCooper

Standard Member
Thanks, Russ. That's tricky with the X2700 I got from RS because this was always my upgrade plan 🙈

I failed to spot the 'Zone 2' label on the back of the Denon X2700 i.e. this is bad:
1602871984406.png

And this is good on (X3700) i.e. 'Front' L and R under 'Pre out'
1602872027863.png

RS have offered to exchange the 2700 for the Yamaha RXA2A, which appears to have front L&R pre-out (tho not further channels):

1612357016219.png

For AV receiver, with my purpose in mind, would you go for the Yamaha RXA2A, the Denon X3700, or something else?

Looks like my question has evolved 😇

Last edited:

DavidCooper

Standard Member
Why not a Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 - it has HT bypass and RoomPerfect. Fits you top end budget
I'll add it to the list! I guess being able to stream direct to the integrated amp, rather than via the AVR, is preferable. I'd not thought of that.

Russ_64

I personally would go for the X3700 - have to say that I do not have any knowledge of the new Yamaha models however, the Room EQ Audyssey XT32 is much better than Yamaha's YPAO.

gibbsy

You cannot use the X2700 for what you want as you are now aware. You would need a Denon X3700 which has a full set of pre-outs.

I hope that this is a typo and you mean left and right.
have my front left and rear
Having an amp with HT by-pass is certainly easy to use and the quality of amps that you have mentioned will absolutely slay the X2700 for stereo music. The LS50s are quality speakers and they do like a lot of power to get the best out of them.

I will add another to your list in the Rega Elicit-R. Very easy to set up and use with HT by-pass, a simple press of a button on the remote. The Rega will play extremely well with the LS50s. I have one driving R300s.

DavidCooper

Standard Member
Yes, left and right, not 'rear'. I'll change that.

I understand now, with thanks for the confirmation.

The Rega Elicit-R is on my list just further down. I actually struggled to find it for sale new anywhere, I seem to remember? Good to have a vote for it.

Last edited:

gibbsy

either impossible or not advisable.
Certainly impossible with the X2700 as you know. Not advisable. Don't know what they mean by that as it is so easy to set up and use and the music side benefits and so does the AV itself. By using the AV amps pre-outs the load of driving two of the most important speakers is taken away from it. The saved power is then shared out to the remaining connected speakers. I call that a win win situation.

All you need to do is re-run Audyssey once the stereo amp is connected. That's it, all up and running. The Marantz is a little, not complicated, just annoying. You have to press and hold a button the fascia for three seconds to engage HT by-pass. Likewise that same operation is required to come out of HT by-pass. Apart from that it's a good amp for the LS50s but not as exciting as some of the others, as you say, a safe bet.

I liked the musicality of the of the MF although it was the m5i that I had a good listening session to. Not listened to the Roksan. Yamahas have never done anything for me, I can't put my finger on it but they have never put a smile on my face. The Rega had my grinning like a Cheshire Cat, that's why it's in my rack.

DavidCooper

Standard Member
Thanks for sharing that, Gibbsy!

So you vote for the Rega Elicit-R. I assume it has HT pass-thru with no messing about.

Currently tempted by the streaming and RoomPerfect capabilities of the all-digital Lyngdorf TDAI-1120

Steve356

Distinguished Member
Thanks for sharing that, Gibbsy!

So you vote for the Rega Elicit-R. I assume it has HT pass-thru with no messing about.

Currently tempted by the streaming and RoomPerfect capabilities of the all-digital Lyngdorf TDAI-1120

The TDAi 1120 has HT pass-thru with no messing about. Add in RoomPerfect and it's hard to beat.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Daft Question, sorry, but if you have Audyssey on the AVR and RoomPerfect on the Stereo amp, am I right that you would run the RoomPerfect first to maximise the front left/right sound and then run the Audyssey on the full surround system (hoping that Audyssey has nothing to do on the front left/right)?

I guess if the measurement points are slightly different for the two setups then there may be a bit of fighting over the fronts?

Steve356

Distinguished Member
Daft Question, sorry, but if you have Audyssey on the AVR and RoomPerfect on the Stereo amp, am I right that you would run the RoomPerfect first to maximise the front left/right sound and then run the Audyssey on the full surround system (hoping that Audyssey has nothing to do on the front left/right)?

I guess if the measurement points are slightly different for the two setups then there may be a bit of fighting over the fronts?

Personally, I would run RP and then add Audyssey if required for all speakers except the FL & FR. My experience has been that it's not good to mix two different Room Correction systems as they can introduce some weird phase issues. An alternative is to use RP for stereo and then switch RP Off for home cinema with Audyssey, but personally I'd use RP whenever I could.

I run a 5.1 system with a TDAi 3400 running RP and an Arcam AVR 850. I don't use Dirac any longer as RP does a great job for stereo and cinema in my room and system.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
All current Marantz AVRs from the 50xx upwards have front pre-outs....

This and their better musical abilities is what separates them from their Denon cousins.

Richer Sounds

AVForums Sponsor
Yes, left and right, not 'rear'. I'll change that.

I understand now, with thanks for the confirmation. My confusion is because RS were wrong twice.. First they told me the X2700 had the outputs I need (HT by-pass), when it doesn't. Second they told me the whole idea of HT by-pass was either impossible or not advisable.

Anyway! Hopefully, I can get some more trustworthy advice here.

The Rega Elicit-R is on my list just further down. I actually struggled to find it for sale new anywhere, I seem to remember? Good to have a vote for it.

Hi there,

I saw your thread and was obviously concerned to read that you appear to have been given confusing advice by one of our branches.

So that I may investigate further, and do my best to resolve things, please could you PM me with your contact details?

Sincere apologies again, hope to hear from you soon.

Tom Griffiths
Head of Customer Service
Richer Sounds

DavidCooper

Standard Member
I'll PM you with thanks for your attention, Tom.

On reflection, I think my earlier rants were unfair to Richer Sounds. Assuming it's OK with the rules of the forum, I've edited my posts to better reflect our discussions. My own misunderstanding was involved. Doing everything by phone under lockdown is not preferable either side, I'm sure. RS have been very good about sorting it out to my satisfaction.

Jumbo Barnes

Novice Member
I have a Yamaha rx-A1080 for HT. The front pre-outs are connected to a Musical Fidelity M5Si with Tannoy Xt8f speakers at the front. It works well for me. I also use the streaming ability of the Yamaha for 2-channel music.

DavidCooper

Standard Member
Great to hear that, Jumbo. The M5Si looks really very good.

Having thought a bit beyond my small vinyl collection, and reading positive posts on here, I'm going for a week's home trial with the TDAi-1120 streamer, to see if I can get it playing nicely with a Denon X3700. Fingers crossed 🤞

jonno73

Great to hear that, Jumbo. The M5Si looks really very good.

Having thought a bit beyond my small vinyl collection, and reading positive posts on here, I'm going for a week's home trial with the TDAi-1120 streamer, to see if I can get it playing nicely with a Denon X3700. Fingers crossed 🤞
If my recent experience with the 3400 Lyngdorf is anything to go by, don’t be expecting to give it back after the week trial!

It works a treat - but the big surprise for me was just how usable and configurable it was via the web portal. Renaming the inputs - type it and hit enter. Need more gain to level the inputs out - type in a number to the dB rating box and hit enter. Want to add your Denon AVR to input 2 - slide the AV bypass toggle to ON. Connected the speaker polarity the wrong way - hit the reverse polarity buttonetc etc. So many lovely touches.

Streaming is great too. I just use the Tidal app so it’s a consistent look and feel with my day to day usage, and I just pick the TDAi as the output source.

I’ve even started using internet radio, as it took 30 seconds to preset in all the main stations I’d use and the quality is great.

Also using a heavily pimped Project Debut Carbon, and using H/T mode albeit with a Yamaha.

Most importantly, it sounds really really good too!

Anyway, good luck and have fun!

Tom @ Cinehome

AVForums Sponsor
We’ve done a lot of integrations with the TDAI-1120 and TDAI-3400 and AV Receivers. When set up properly, it works extremely well.

Steve356

Distinguished Member
If my recent experience with the 3400 Lyngdorf is anything to go by, don’t be expecting to give it back after the week trial!

It works a treat - but the big surprise for me was just how usable and configurable it was via the web portal. Renaming the inputs - type it and hit enter. Need more gain to level the inputs out - type in a number to the dB rating box and hit enter. Want to add your Denon AVR to input 2 - slide the AV bypass toggle to ON. Connected the speaker polarity the wrong way - hit the reverse polarity buttonetc etc. So many lovely touches.

Streaming is great too. I just use the Tidal app so it’s a consistent look and feel with my day to day usage, and I just pick the TDAi as the output source.

I’ve even started using internet radio, as it took 30 seconds to preset in all the main stations I’d use and the quality is great.

Also using a heavily pimped Project Debut Carbon, and using H/T mode albeit with a Yamaha.

Most importantly, it sounds really really good too!

Anyway, good luck and have fun!

I'd agree with all your points based on my experience with a 3400 connected to my Arcam AVR 850. Best purchase I've made in a long time. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung QD-OLED TVs primed for 2022 launch?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky to add NBCUniversal's Peacock service
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen announces Beoplay EQ TWS earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th July 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky drops Sky One brand and introduces Showcase and Max