Question Advice on installing projector lift into suspended ceiling

rh-keith

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, looking for some advice on installing a projector lift (Pure Theatre CR50) in a false/suspended ceiling for an Epson 7300. Combined weight is 30kg for lift and projector. The ceiling is concrete slab (ducon) and then there is a suspended ceiling consisting of a gyproc metal frame structure in which plasterboards are then fastened to that. There is approx a 50cm void between concrete and suspended ceiling.

Has anyone every installed a protector lift into a suspended ceiling? Can the metal frame structure take the load (30KG) or is additional support required. I'm thinking the later but would like to hear from others and also how this could be achieved. Thx

Hi mate, I have the solution for you, will post again during the day when I have some time.

Dave;)

Hi again Keith, bit later than I expected but here goes:

Ive done this with a 50kg extractor unit on my 'bison' beams so I know itll work and be solid.

Depending on whether its to be 'sat-on' plasterboard ceiling or 'hidden within void' its basically a variation on a theme. You have two viable options but I prefer option 1 as its demountable and 2 isnt.

1) Find somewhere to purchase the size you want for application (M8 would do or even multiple M6 fixings depending on holes in your lift mounting system) Spit Grip Lip hollow anchors and the 'special' orange hammer to fit them. You fit by drilling into beam just over length of fitting then push Grip L into concrete then hammer it with special hammer (a must).
Spit Grip Lip & Grip Drop-in Anchors
2) Cut to length required number of threaded stainless steel bars to simply screw into these fittings.
3) If fitting onto surface of plasterboard then do Grip L / Bar / nut / washer / pboard / washer / nut. A number of these will easily take the weight and sit nicely on on ceiling side of pboard.

Option 2. Same as above but chemical fix the bars into place and save on Grip L and hammer. As said Option 1 easier as you dont have to make a jig to somehow hold bars in place whilst chem sets.

There are other ways eg timber to concrete, hanging metal wire etc but for me, when hanging really heavy weights, nothing beats the threaded bar trick;)

All the very best.

Dave;)

Ps Forgot to mention....another option is to get your MF ceiling guys back in. They can use angled flat plate fired into ceiling and 'main beam' to rig something. You could do it yourself but youll unlikely have the correct gun. Honestly though is cheaper to do urself with the Grip Ls...prob £20-30 plus your time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom