1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on installing new graphics card please

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by zAndy1, Apr 1, 2003.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,488
    Hi all,
    My new Radeon 9500 pro should be arriving shortly and I was after some advice as to the best way to remove my current card from my system and install the new one. I've currently got a Geforce2 MX, do I need to uninstall anything to do with that before installing the Radeon and if so how do I go about doing it? Also I've downloaded the ATI Catalyst 3.2 drivers and would like to use them as soon as I install the new card, I presume the drivers that come with the card won't be the 3.2 ones , do I have to install the drivers that come with the card and then upgrade to the 3.2 ones or can I just use the 3.2 drivers straightaway, any pros and cons for either? I've got an application to run to install the 3.2 drivers as I'm sure many of you will be familiar with, can I run that before installing the Radeon card, if not how do I point windows to the 3.2 drivers when it detects the new hardware?
    Apologies for the dumb questions but I'm not very good at this sort of stuff and want everything to go as smoothly as possible!

Cheers,
    Andy.

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can uninstall the nVidia drivers using the control panel and 'add/remove programs'. Uninstall drivers, then shutdown the PC. Then open it up and remove the nVidia card and install the ATI card. Then turn on and install the ATI drivers (Windows should detect the card when it starts up and will try and install the drivers, it may prompt you for the drivers, in which case you can pass it the 3.2 drivers).

Personally, I always like to install hardware using the disk that came with it, then upgrade. It's the quick and dirty way to get things running, but also gives you a benchmark for improvements (e.g. I noticed that the nVidia drivers that came with my GeForce 4 were significantly slower than the ones I later upgraded to). There are also sometimes extra drivers/features on the disk that are not always downloadable, so to ignore the disk might mean you're missing out on a few nifty progs.

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,488
    Thanks for the advice..

Cheers,
    Andy.