1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on how to feed 5.1 Headphones

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by drmih, Jan 19, 2005.

1. drmih

drmih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to find a receiver which will allow me to operate a home cinema speaker system, but also has 5.1 outputs to feed some surround headphones. As I understand it, some of the Denon amps have the necessary outputs (as pre-amps) but they are also controlled by the volume and mute control, whereas what I would require, I think, would be an uncontrolled set which would allow the main speakers to be either off, muted or at a minimum level.

Any ideas?

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Good luck!
    You can buy a sperate 5.1 head set amp, from some online pc shops but as far the reciever route they all provide the pre-outs that control volume ect...

You could buy a cheap amp with pre-outs but that would be over kill.

Let me know how the 5.1 headset works out as the yamaha silent cinema (head phones) through normal stero gives a decent reproduction of surround. In fact i often take them off to listen if the head phones are pluged in and it's not my speakers i'm listening too.

3. drmih

drmih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the headset for some time and driven it straight from the 5.1 outputs from a dvd player, and am pleased with the effect. However, I now have extra equipment in this room and need to be able to feed the headphones from various sources so am looking to combine setting up a home cinema speakers in this room but maintain the ability to listen 'very quietly' - sleeping kids getting in the way of my enjoyment!!

I was looking to do something on the cheap as there are proper systems in another couple of rooms. However, I seem to have opened a can of worms as I thought at first that the Denon 1905 would be ideal, but a friend has tried to drive the same headphones with his top of the range Denon, and that doesn't have the ability to isolate the outputs, so I doubt any Denons do.

Looks like back to the drawing board.

4. drmih

drmih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I notice that Yamaha receivers seem to have the ability to switch between 2 main speaker systems. What happens to the 5.1 pre outputs if you were say to select an imaginary speaker set 2 for the main set - are the pres still driven, as this would solve the problem - I think.