Advice on home security setup

n33712

Standard Member
Hi All

If anyone can help me please would appreciate it. Have no experience with cameras or security systems but have some experience with networks.

Am looking to buy a PVR system with three CCTV cameras. 1x camera will be outside my study with the PVR in my study so that is easy.

The other two cameras will be on my detached garage. How do i get the feeds from the garage to my study (the other side of the house) Don't want cables as garage is not attached to house and would not make sense. Was thinking maybe two cameras in to a PoE switch and then the feed through a Powerline (will need to test first) but how would this work at my study......2x feeds via 1x cable?

Not decided on equipment but at the moment i'm looking at:

Reolink 4K PoE CCTV Security System - RLK8-800B4

TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT 2-Port Powerline Adapter

PoE Switch

I may need a switch in the study as well as my router only has 2x ports and both in use.

Appreciate any advice here

BigA1

I've got a ring wireless system and its superb... yes there is a subscription but I'm cool with that foe online storage/capture.

For me the ease of set up and install is a major selling point. The security it provides is as good as anything else and the fact it alerts me anywhere on earth i sh*t goes down is great. Links in with my doorbell, floodlight cam and security cam flawlessly.

If you're using powerline adaptors then surely your running the risk of any type of circuit failure knocking out your system?

n33712

Standard Member
I've got a ring wireless system and its superb... yes there is a subscription but I'm cool with that foe online storage/capture.

For me the ease of set up and install is a major selling point. The security it provides is as good as anything else and the fact it alerts me anywhere on earth i sh*t goes down is great. Links in with my doorbell, floodlight cam and security cam flawlessly.

If you're using powerline adaptors then surely your running the risk of any type of circuit failure knocking out your system?
Yes any power failures will of course knock out the system.....but wireless systems are not without their risks as well. The reason though i'm not going wireless is i have no wi-fi signal out by the garage. I could boost it but feel a wired solution would be all round better, especially with 2x CCTV cameras.

neilball

Most wireless security systems use a dedicated radio for wireless connectivity between their devices that is not wifi (both for battery longevity and to allow meshing protocols etc). Many, like Ring, lso include repeaters to help extend the signal if needed.

The issue with wireless systems is that you can jam them. Consumer-level devices like ring or reolink can be jammed with no effort at all - so you need to keep that in mind.

The other issue is that most wireless devices need a hub of some sort - so the fact that they are battery-powered is not really an advantage - is someone is able to sabotage your power supply - it will take the whole system down battery-powered or not (it will simply have no means to transmitting data / alerts) - unless obdiosly you have a back-up UPS for your router / hub.

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
What happens when your Ring Alarm goes offline?

Your Ring Alarm is designed to safeguard your most valuable possession, your home. Because of this, your Ring Alarm comes with a pair of emergency systems that will continue to protect your home even if circumstances arise that would ordinarily knock the system offline.

Note: If the Base Station goes offline, you will be unable to access or control your devices through the app, but your device will remain armed, and the Ring Alarm siren will still function.

Cellular backup

Your Ring Alarm usually communicates with you or your monitoring service through the internet via Wi-Fi or an Ethernet cable. Any time your Base Station loses its connection to the internet, regardless of the cause, a cellular backup system kicks in that will allow the system to continue to monitor your home.

Note: You will need to have a Ring Protect Plus plan to use the cellular backup system.

neilball

The issue with wireless systems is that you can jam them. Consumer-level devices like ring or reolink can be jammed with no effort at all - so you need to keep that in mind.

The other issue is that most wireless devices need a hub of some sort - so the fact that they are battery-powered is not really an advantage - is someone is able to sabotage your power supply - it will take the whole system down battery-powered or not (it will simply have no means to transmitting data / alerts) - unless obdiosly you have a back-up UPS for your router / hub.
Systems like Ajax are a step up in this regard - using a proprietary radio protocol that aims to prevent jamming, having battery backed up hub that continues to operate without mains power, and cellular backup in case of loss of internet etc.

BigA1

Your average crack head isn't going to "Jam" anything other than a brick through the plate glass window...

As soon as the noisy bit kicks in, they'll sling their hook in search of the next house that doesn't give them a headache...

Security cameras will not stop anyone wanting to get in, they simply afford you the opportunity to watch it afterwards and maybe a slight deterant...

I'd suggest if you've got stuff that requires you to have a dedicated UPS for the system and it to be unjamable then a security company that installs, services and warranties their work would be money well spent.

Systems like Ajax are a step up in this regard - using a proprietary radio protocol that aims to prevent jamming, having battery backed up hub that continues to operate without mains power, and cellular backup in case of loss of internet etc.
Ajax is much better. The issue with Ajax is that it is originally Ukrainian-based products and their first series (before they appeared in the UK) were quite weak and signal would not penetrate even plasterboard walls. They have since upgraded their system and regularly issue new firmware - which is also nice. The issue I have is that in one of the warehouses I use both the old (pre-2007 models I bough from IFSEC conference in London) and the new hubs. Whilst they are supposed to be backward compatible, there is often a ping-echo transmission issue.

Otherwise, I do agree that it is way better!

Cellular back-up is a really nice thing (assuming that the GSM / 3G / 4G module remains powered up) and it is almost impossible to block it as well. In practical terms, however, it means another £7-10 for the sim card or a Pay-as-you-go one but then you need to keep an eye that it is in credit.

D

Deleted member 24354

@Edmud de Morcer I am curious what you bought in 2007 as Aleksandr didn’t set Ajax up until 2011. I’d love to know what models they are so I can chat to the devs about them, I talk to Kiev weekly. They maybe able to help with backward compatibility issues.

RobinDB

Just installed the reolink system you mentioned. Though gone for the one with the
RLC-810A cameras.
Quality is excellent.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom