1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on hiding wires

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by House, Apr 29, 2003.

1. House

House

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My plasma is currently hanging above my av unit, there is approximately an 18" gap between the bottom of plasma and top of unit.

Here is my problem, the leads that go from screen to Av equipment - S-Video lead, Component and Composite leads. Also the power supply for the screen.
    My plan was to remove 1 or 2 strips of wallpaper and recess the cables in wall, re-paper.
    Major problem; I have none of the wallpaper left and can no longer get hold of it.

So short of re-decorating (Not an option at this stage) any advice on best way to hide the cables ?

I was thinking a tube on the outside, painted to match the wallpaper - may look awful but better than it is ??

Any ideas/advice much appreciated.

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    What I did to hide my cables was to screw two small battons to the wall directly underneath the panel. I then placed all the cables inside and screwed a piece of MDF to the battons which I will then paint to match/complement the rest of the room. Look's neat'n'tidy I think.

The other idea I had was to get two aluminium tubes and place one either side of the panel and run the video cables up one and the power up an other.

Hope that gives you a couple of ideas.

Cheers, Lee

3. SimonD

SimonD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about going straight through the wall behing the plasma and down the wall on the other side? of in the cavity if it is an external wall and then back through the wall behind your unit?

4. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I got some shallow plastic 'chanelling' from B&Q and then painted that the same colour as the wall ...

Jon

5. defsdoor

defsdoor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 3-4 foot gap to bridge between my plasma and my large cabling channel skirting board. I used a MDF panel that is loose - it hooks under the screen and stands on the skirting - I can just lift it off when I need access to the sockets etc..

I had intended to fix it originally - but I am not sure if I will - I have yet to come up with a good way to fix it that allows it to be removed easily and not have screws showing.

See a couple of pictures for example -

http://www.defsdoor.demon.co.uk/loft/

6. House

House

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the replies.

I will investigate/try out a few ways. :smashin: