Advice on HDfury VRROOM + ATV4K + PS5

tomstuart

Novice Member
I’m looking for advice on how/if I can arrange a reliable setup with the HDfury VRROOM and the ATV4K & PS5 I have attached to it.

My setup and goal are simple enough: I own a non-eARC but otherwise fine TV (LG B7) and a Sonos Arc, and I’d like to be able to connect both my ATV4K and my PS5 to the TV and get good audio from the Arc for both. Until now I’ve used an HDfury Arcana to extract the eARC audio, which works perfectly, except the Arcana only has one input and I couldn’t find an HDMI switcher that worked properly with it (e.g. unreliable autoswitching, intermittent loss of audio) with both devices connected. So I’ve ended up manually plugging and unplugging HDMI cables from the Arcana to switch between devices, which gets pretty tiresome after a while.

After months of frustration I decided to bite the bullet and buy a VRROOM in the hope that throwing money at the problem would fix things once and for all. But now it’s arrived and I also can’t get it to work properly, particularly with respect to HDMI-CEC and autoswitching. In particular, if I enable the “HDMI Device Link” and “One-Touch Play” CEC features on the PS5 then it sporadically wakes from sleep whenever I turn the TV on via the ATV4K, which obviously isn’t what I want, but if I disable those features then there’s no way to get the VRROOM to switch to the PS5’s input other than manually switching it via the hardware buttons or web interface. In my experiments with cheaper HDMI switches I’ve seen ones which are able to autoswitch to the PS5 without those features turned on, but it doesn’t look like the VRROOM is able to (yet?).

It was also difficult to get the ATV4K to begin controlling the Arc’s volume over HDMI-CEC (the setting to do this is only visible when the Arc is playing audio, but normally the ATV4K isn’t making any sound when you’re in the Settings app) and it’s already forgotten that configuration a couple of times so far. Less significantly but still disappointingly, I used to be able to say “Alexa, turn the TV on/off” to have the Arc control the TV power through the Arcana, but that doesn’t work through the VRROOM either.

Is there currently any VRROOM configuration I can try to make everything work smoothly? All I want is to be able to wake up either the ATV4K or PS5 and have its video and audio appear on the TV and Arc; the VRROOM already feels like overkill for that task but it was my last hope of getting something reliable. If it isn’t achievable right now, should I return the VRROOM or hang on in the hope that future firmware updates will help?

Last edited:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Autoswitching is not currently enabled on the Vertex³ (VRRoom) - it will be supported in a future FW update.

Joe

tomstuart

Novice Member
Thanks Joe, I didn’t realise that. The confusing thing is that the VRROOM definitely does some autoswitching regardless of the value of its “AUTOSWITCH INPUTS” setting, so I assume it’s just unsupported behaviour at the moment and will be improved in a future update. It sounds like I should sit tight for now and hope for new firmware.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I'd def sit tight and await for it be implemented. The Tech Team at HDF are working hard to get everything the device is capable of implemented, too many options :)

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom