1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on hard disk music systems

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by gordonavon, Mar 2, 2004.

1. gordonavon

gordonavon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought I would canvas opion on the best hard disk music system to get.

I have about 700 CD's + another 500 tapes/LPS that I want to burn onto a hard disk music server. I have a Denon AVR2803 amp which I would hook it all up to.

Ideally I would like a system to match my Denon Amp and the DVD/CD player (DVD2900), which are both in gold.

Regards
    Gordon

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Hi Gordon....this is going to depend on your budget....there are a few HDD based music servers on the market,with companies like Yamaha,Marantz,and in the upper price range,Linn producing suitable gear.

Another way is to use a PC as your music server,using it's HDD as storage,and the sound card as your digital I/O,which would enable you to archive your record collection as well.
    There's a good range of true hifi grade digital sound cards,of which the RME and Lynx are good examples.

This is the solution I've been using for a while now,with a UVEM HCPC.

Using a PC can be a very cost effective method,and allows DVD playback also.....if you're interested,it's worth having a look in the Pc section of the forum,and maybe posting there as well.

3. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony HARLH500 less than £400 Holds 125hrs of uncompressed or 1250hrs Compressed into ATRAC3 (Minidisc) quality. Simple unit and good for the money.
    Yamaha CDRHD1300 £600 Holds 125hrs uncompressed, don't think you can compress, but you can change the HDD up to 137GB with any standard IDE HDD. Much better built and includes a CD recorder for creating discs from the tracks on the HDD. I won't explain in full check out their website cause it is quite good.
    I will stop at that price point cause i've never played witha ny others myself.