1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on hanging Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by S.S.Dhuper, Jan 22, 2003.

1. S.S.Dhuper

S.S.Dhuper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    I'm about to buy either the LG or the Sammy and I want to hang it on the wall in my bedroom, now my house is 4 bedroom fairly old house, one thing which I am 100% sure is that there are no breeze blocks in the walls or any bricks, my house is joined on both sides "there are house's on either side" now those walls are 100% solid they've got bricks in them ideal for hanging a plasma on them but I can't use those walls because of the way my bed is located I have to use the inside walls.
    About 6 months ago we took out a small wall deviding the Toilet and the bathroom to make it into one room and that wall was about 3/4 inch plaster and behind it was a like these thin pieces of woods running horizental with plaster in them and they were no studs in them now I'm assuming the wall in my bedroom will be the same and NO WAY WILL IT TAKE THE WEIGHT of the plasma, I had this thought what if I drill completely throught the wall to the other room and use very long steel threaded bar's, am I making any sense here, can anybody please give me a solution as to what to do.

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    those thin bits ove wood you speak about like batoons running ======== like that should be atached to studs uprights every 12 or so inches these studs are usally strong enough to hold a plasma as it will carry the weight threw to the floor .
    maybe when you get your bracket you could cut out a big piece out of the plaster and batons atach a big piece of nice thick ply wood or something crew this straight to the studs the uprights, then you can atach the bracket and plasma to this ,
    if you can under stand that,
    i`m sure there are other people here who can explain it better

hope it was some help

what we need is for all the newbies to make a photo diary of doing for the rest next lot to see

3. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you are talking about a lath and plaster wall (lots of thin bits of wood with plaster applied on top), you are correct this will not take the weight of the plasma. The lath should attached to wooden uprights as jmack mentioned.

I would cut out a horizontal channel(s), where you want your fixings to go, between 2 of the uprights and fix 2"x4" timber horizontally between the uprights.

| |..................| |
    | |-------------| |
    | |-------------| |
    | |..................| |
    | |..................| |
    | |-------------| |
    | |-------------| |
    | |..................| |

something like that, ignore the dots I had to put them in to get it to display properly

4. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. Yes. More building instructions in ACSII please. :clown:

5. S.S.Dhuper

S.S.Dhuper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jmack and Mikeq, Wow you both understand what I'm saying about wall, I understand what you are saying, now it's a question of finding these studs, about every 12inch you say. I should be able to do this myself although it's going to be really a messy dusty job, thanks again.

6. jpfrost

jpfrost
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of hanging my Plasma (when I order one!) over the fireplace. Would I require a tilting wall bracket for this height or would a standard flat wall bracket suffice?

7. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the safe side go for the tilting model. Unicol brackets are good and cheaper than the plasma manufacturers.

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    It sould like lathen plaster no way will that take the weight.

Although not as heavy as a 32 inch CRT set these 42" screens are still very heavy, definately a two man job for moving / mouting in my opinion.

I have my Samsung mounted above the Fireplace. I have a bracket that tilts to 10 degrees, looks great and perfect viewing from 8ft away on my Setee.

My dad helped me fit it, it is attached using 8 heavy duty bolts about 3inchs long to the brick chimney breast.

He reckons this is not OTT for something this weight hanglng from the wall at an angle and he knows his stuff.