Advice on good secondhand speakers please.

BlaezaLite

Novice Member
I'm currently running a old Yammy 757se with some Tibo Edge minis, Eltax Century 300s, Aiwa FZ2700 midi system things (great bass for free too) and some Kenwood ls29s. I know that none of the speakers are of particularly high quality and would like some guidance on future purchases. Also being very strapped for cash, I could spend £50 on pre-owned speakers.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
For a pair of floor standers you might find a pair of Sony SS176e's. Unfancied name for speakers but got great reviews when release, however, any speaker at that price will be of an age where they may start to show signs of wear. Main area to look out for is the woofer cone surround, if they are rubber checks for surface cracks and holes, if the are foam they may be starting to disintegrate.

Here's an example - Sony SS-176E Speakers-Superb Sound. | eBay

but have a look at the ebay sold items and if you are patient they can go for less.

review half way down the page - What Hi-Fi? Awards: 9 of the most memorable Sony winners

wokeye

KEF Q35's are a decent compact floor standing speaker that can be had for reasonable money. I had some for years and years.

Legzr1

Acoustic Energy AE107 floorstanders are well worth considering - compact (for floorstanders), well built and smooth with excellent bass.

I got a pair 10 years ago as a stopgap/music in the garage and I still have them. I paid around £60 for an immaculate pair so should be in your budget.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom