Advice on going digital for movie collection

mambo1888

Ive built up a fairly decent blu Ray/4K blu ray collection over the last few years but I’m thinking of going digital now. I have just bought an Apple TV 4K thinking I would be able to get all my movies from ultraviolet etc in one place but its all a bit of a mess.

Currently I have two iTunes accounts (my main one which is UK region and another that is US based)

The UK one has about 20 movies, some bought from iTunes and some from various digital codes that came with physical discs.

The US one has about 40 movies mainly from linked accounts using Movies Anywhere.

I wanted to unlink the second account and link my main iTunes account to Movies Anywhere so I would have around 60 movies but I found out you can only link US iTunes accounts to Movies Anywhere.

Is there anyway around this? I cant change the region of my main account as its sitting with credit at the moment.

It seems going digital is going to be really messy or difficult to get what I’m after unless I just write off previous movies I have on the US account and then just buy direct from iTunes going forward.

Anyone switched to 100% digital, what’s your thoughts?

Coz22998

Distinguished Member
I've not switched 100% to digital but I am supplementing a healthy disc obsession with a new equally as healthy digital one!

You're right above - there is no way to link a UK iTunes account to Movies Anywhere. Simply isn't going to happen at the moment. So unless we get a UK specific version of MA, there is no way around this. And you're also right in that the current digital marketplace is horribly fractured and showing no signs of consolidating at the moment...….

If I was going to go 100% digital from scratch, I would use UK iTunes. Quality, selection and price are all great. US iTunes is great for the cheap codes flying around but the faff of paying for them and the relatively high price point of $4.99 being the lowest I've ever seen a title on iTunes, compared to the many £1.99 films we get in the UK means I would go with UK over US iTunes every day of the week.

But if you want to continue your disc buying alongside digital purchases ironically, my view is that if you really want to consolidate into a single digital provider, the UK probably has the best bet at the moment with Google. With MA sending all their titles to your UK Google account, we now also get Lionsgate in the UK also redeeming their films in Google - the US Lionsgate have got iTunes and Vudu only, so no porting. The grumble on the grapevine is that your Flixster account will soon port into Google too, meaning all those MGM and Lionsgate codes of yesteryear will also port too.

Also, within Google Play, you can buy all those pesky Paramount titles that also show no sign of porting into MA and therefore elsewhere. So just to get all your movies into a single provider, I think at the moment, Google Play is your best bet.

Now, quality-wise this isn't great. I find the quality vastly superior on both iTunes and MA (I can't get 4K in Google on my TVs app) and of course both do extras which Google aren't doing anywhere near as much of at the moment. And I don't know if Google has the selection that iTunes has. But at least you're able to get the majority of your titles into a single provider.

This is what I'm doing - keeping buying the discs for films I really want, using the codes to back up to a digital library and using all providers (UK/US iTunes, MA and a few via Vudu) to make cheap purchases when offers come up.

But all of that is probably a lot of grief for 40 movies which will sit alongside your main digital account - UK iTunes. Phew. All a real buggers muddle, but at least we're getting some great value out of the digital provider hotchpotch!!!!

Good luck man...…..

Last edited:

mazon27091

Please remember you won't own these titles as the company you are buying from is subject to licencing rules, whereby if they lose the rights to the film/TV show it will disappear from your collection! Also if the company ceases to exist you will lose all titles from that company! I know some companies do allow you to download titles to your server/hard drive pick those ones as your film library will be safer.

mambo1888

I've not switched 100% to digital but I am supplementing a health disc obsession with a new equally as healthy digital one!

You're right above - there is no way to link a UK iTunes account to Movies Anywhere. Simply isn't going to happen at the moment. So unless we get a UK specific version of MA, there is no way around this. And you're also right in that the current digital marketplace is horribly fractured and showing no signs of consolidating at the moment...….

If I was going to go 100% digital from scratch, I would use UK iTunes. Quality, selection and price are all great. US iTunes is great for the cheap codes flying around but the faff of paying for them and the relatively high price point of $4.99 being the lowest I've ever seen a title on iTunes, compared to the many £1.99 films we get in the UK means I would go with UK over US iTunes every day of the week.

But if you want to continue your disc buying alongside digital purchases ironically, my view is that if you really want to consolidate into a single digital provider, the UK probably has the best bet at the moment with Google. With MA sending all their titles to your UK Google account, we now also get Lionsgate in the UK also redeeming their films in Google - the US Lionsgate have got iTunes and Vudu only, so no porting. The grumble on the grapevine is that your Flixster account will soon port into Google too, meaning all those MGM and Lionsgate codes of yesteryear will also port too.

Also, within Google Play, you can buy all those pesky Paramount titles that also show no sign of porting into MA and therefore elsewhere. So just to get all your movies into a single provider, I think at the moment, Google Play is your best bet.

Now, quality-wise this isn't great. I find the quality vastly superior on both iTunes and MA (I can't get 4K in Google on my TVs app) and of course both do extras which Google aren't doing anywhere near as much of at the moment. And I don't know if Google has the selection that iTunes has. But at least you're able to get the majority of your titles into a single provider.

This is what I'm doing - keeping buying the discs for films I really want, using the codes to back up to a digital library and using all providers (UK/US iTunes, MA and a few via Vudu) to make cheap purchases when offers come up.

But all of that is probably a lot of grief for 40 movies which will sit alongside your main digital account - UK iTunes. Phew. All a real buggers muddle, but at least we're getting some great value out of the digital provider hotchpotch!!!!

Good luck man...…..
Thanks a lot for all that info mate, much appreciated. I think I sort of got the ball rolling the last couple of days by making a few more purchases on iTunes UK. I agree the UK prices seem a lot better than US and if you stock up when gift cards are on offer you can get some really good prices.

I was considering Google Play but it seems quite messy and I couldn’t see what movies are available in 4K (that we’re in my library) The app seemed to be lacking a bit as well on my TV.

I have the two accounts on my Apple TV so for now I will just switch between if there’s something I want to watch from the US account but overtime I will probably just add all the movies I really want to the UK account when they are on offer.

I hope Disney start offering 4K on iTunes but I also hope Apple keep their setup in not charging extra for 4K so not sure how that will go, I might hold off buying any Disney/Marvel until that is sorted. TBH I usually buy all Marvel movies in 3D and I will be keeping my 3D blu’s anyway.

Well thanks again for the advice, think I’m pretty sure I will be going down the iTunes UK route and just buying direct rather than using the codes that come with discs. Probably be a slower transition from physical to digital for now and see how I find it before fully converting.

Coz22998

Distinguished Member
Thanks a lot for all that info mate, much appreciated. I think I sort of got the ball rolling the last couple of days by making a few more purchases on iTunes UK. I agree the UK prices seem a lot better than US and if you stock up when gift cards are on offer you can get some really good prices.

I was considering Google Play but it seems quite messy and I couldn’t see what movies are available in 4K (that we’re in my library) The app seemed to be lacking a bit as well on my TV.

I have the two accounts on my Apple TV so for now I will just switch between if there’s something I want to watch from the US account but overtime I will probably just add all the movies I really want to the UK account when they are on offer.

I hope Disney start offering 4K on iTunes but I also hope Apple keep their setup in not charging extra for 4K so not sure how that will go, I might hold off buying any Disney/Marvel until that is sorted. TBH I usually buy all Marvel movies in 3D and I will be keeping my 3D blu’s anyway.

Well thanks again for the advice, think I’m pretty sure I will be going down the iTunes UK route and just buying direct rather than using the codes that come with discs. Probably be a slower transition from physical to digital for now and see how I find it before fully converting.
Just one more point to add, check out this forum here (if you haven’t already):

Video Streaming Boxes & Services

The guys there really know there stuff and have pointed me in the direction of loads of good advice and bargains. Oh and make sure you download the Cheap Charts app again if you haven’t already - everyday it lets you know which iTunes movies have had price drops. Essential for sniffing out those bargains in both the UK and US although it starts to get expensive.....;)

mambo1888

Please remember you won't own these titles as the company you are buying from is subject to licencing rules, whereby if they lose the rights to the film/TV show it will disappear from your collection! Also if the company ceases to exist you will lose all titles from that company! I know some companies do allow you to download titles to your server/hard drive pick those ones as your film library will be safer.
Cheers, yeah I know thats one of the major drawbacks with going digital but I don’t see Apple or iTunes disappearing in my lifetime so that just leaves them losing the rights to movies that I have purchased which I don’t think happens too often. Ive not looked into downloading and storing on server but its something I would quite like to do if I was going 100% digital.

Another point that I have been thinking about recently that got me thinking about moving to digital is value. Even though you dont actually own the title and it has no resale value at all, the resale value of blu rays (standard blu’s not 4K) is so low nowadays that its not unlikely that a disc you bought for £15-20 will be worth £1-3 today, thats a fairly big loss. The cost of 4K discs although getting better is still really high for new releases, If you buy the equivalent movie from iTunes for a lot less, after say 10 years of owning the physical disc the depreciation could be more than the cost of the digital copy.

Ive always been firmly in the physical copy camp and I am only recently beginning to sway towards digital. There are pro’s and con’s to both, and not everyone will be better off one way or another.

mambo1888

Just one more point to add, check out this forum here (if you haven’t already):

Video Streaming Boxes & Services

The guys there really know there stuff and have pointed me in the direction of loads of good advice and bargains. Oh and make sure you download the Cheap Charts app again if you haven’t already - everyday it lets you know which iTunes movies have had price drops. Essential for sniffing out those bargains in both the UK and US although it starts to get expensive.....;)
Cheers mate will check it out, yeah I have cheap charts installed and got an alert this morning which is great, but I can see how that might be quite dangerous/expensive lol.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom