Advice on getting a treadmill: recommendations on what and where to buy

I have an alert on hotukdeals to alert me. I got the alert and bought within minutes. You have to be quick. Mine was directly from amazon as well not a reseller.
Good work then! It really seems like a bad time to be buying gym equipment. We've decided to get a treadmill and a compact multigym, but with Covid and it being new year there's little around so I think we might just wait a bit for things to settle down and see what we can find. Unless of course a rare bargain does pop up somewhere!

Good work then! It really seems like a bad time to be buying gym equipment. We've decided to get a treadmill and a compact multigym, but with Covid and it being new year there's little around so I think we might just wait a bit for things to settle down and see what we can find. Unless of course a rare bargain does pop up somewhere!
I've been waiting since about July. In the end just gave up waiting and ordered the first semi decent one that came into stock.

NordicTrack make good gear.
Bargains can be found on eBay or gumtree.

What are the different treadmill apps worth looking at? I heard Eddie Izzard on the radio this evening and he was running on a treadmill using Zwift and I quite like the sound of it. How do they work? Is basically like playing a running video game where you're running along streets, through the country, etc virtually? I've seen some treadmills mention Kinomap and NordicTrack have ifit - are they all a similar sort of thing?

And do you need a treadmill that's supports them, or do can you use them with something like a Fitbit?

I think you'll find running can be terrible for your joints.
I'll think you'll find running is good for your joints.
I've no idea where you are getting your information but it's well known that running protects your joints and prevents osteoarthritis.

I'll think you'll find running is good for your joints.
I've no idea where you are getting your information but it's well known that running protects your joints and prevents osteoarthritis.
Like with most things, do it right and it’s fine, do it badly, which is easy, and it can be terrible. Cycling, gym, running can all have detrimental effects if you don’t do it right and I would assume most are never taught how to do it properly.

I know plenty of people who moved to cycling from running as their knees are shot to pieces. It's much easier on the joints, I do both. There is no impact from cycling, but anything done to excess or with bad form will cause damage.

@Stevie G - I already put info on this post about Zwift and how to get it to work ;)

I use this with my treadmill, it's super accurate as it's measuring the belt speed with optical sensors several times a second and sends the data to zwift.

Like with most things, do it right and it’s fine, do it badly, which is easy, and it can be terrible. Cycling, gym, running can all have detrimental effects if you don’t do it right and I would assume most are never taught how to do it properly.
That's the point. Running while injured or playing impact sports which can damage the knees and other joints will have detrimental effects.

What people should do is go to Google Scholar and do a search for "running causing osteoarthritis". Have a read of the articles. If you find something which shows there's a link that running CAUSES the problem then please come back and let me know as I want to be informed. However an anecdote that "fat Bob from the pub doesn't run because his knees are knackered" isn't evidence. Sitting on your fat arse thinking you are protecting yourself is just plain wrong. The body is a bio-mechanical system which improves with use.

Thanks. Looking at using either Zwift or Kinomap. I've decided against the DKN as they state on their website that it should not be stored somewhere is not heated such as a garage and ours will be going into our garage; even if it is massive, insulated and dry it is against their warranty T&Cs so I don't want to risk it. Looking at the JTX treadmills; they're a local company and look good quality. Theirs works with Kinomap, not sure about Zwift (although can easily add one of those Zwift Run things). Also considered Nordic Track but not so sure iFit is what I want.
A couple of online shops seem to have Reebok's due in too, just trying to narrow down a couple of options to compare with the JTX.

I’ve just bought a zwift run pod to use with my Reebok. Should be turning up tomorrow.

I just took delivery of the peloton tread, I've got the bike and I'm a peloton fan for ease of use and content, and from my first couple of runs its really good. Pretty expensive compared to the others however its super response to get to speed and incline, it uses swivel knobs as opposed to ups and down arrows. I wish they had released the tread+ here with the slats but apparently there isn't the market for larger machines.

Blimey! Two and a half grand! That's commercial treadmill prices!

Blimey! Two and a half grand! That's commercial treadmill prices!
Thanks. Looking at using either Zwift or Kinomap. I've decided against the DKN as they state on their website that it should not be stored somewhere is not heated such as a garage and ours will be going into our garage; even if it is massive, insulated and dry it is against their warranty T&Cs so I don't want to risk it. Looking at the JTX treadmills; they're a local company and look good quality. Theirs works with Kinomap, not sure about Zwift (although can easily add one of those Zwift Run things). Also considered Nordic Track but not so sure iFit is what I want.
A couple of online shops seem to have Reebok's due in too, just trying to narrow down a couple of options to compare with the JTX.

I use my DKN Treadmill in my conservatory, it's unheated, very uninsulated. Your garage is probably warmer :) It's freezing in there, but the treadmill works fine. I realise it might invalidate your warranty but the quality of the treadmill should make it well outlast any warranty. Any treadmill manufacturer will probably say the same about where to use it. Just get whatever one you fancy and can afford, they're probably all made in the same factory anyway! :)

Don't forget to get some treadmill lubricant (silicon oil) or the belt will wear out. I only lubricate mine every few weeks.

Ran my first half marathon on the treadmill the other day and actually enjoyed it! 2 years ago I couldn't run 400m without dying.

Ran my first half marathon on the treadmill the other day and actually enjoyed it! 2 years ago I couldn't run 400m without dying.
Wow, that's brilliant work! I was the same a year ago, couldn't run for 90 seconds without feeling like I was going to pass out, so pleased I've go to were I have, but I just can't seem to get beyond 7 or 8k because of my bloody shins! I'm really hoping getting a treadmill for half of the runs will ease the pressure on them and let me get a bit farther. I use knee supports, shin compression socks and use ice packs on my shins most nights to try to ease them but they just don't seem to get past it!

Wow, that's brilliant work! I was the same a year ago, couldn't run for 90 seconds without feeling like I was going to pass out, so pleased I've go to were I have, but I just can't seem to get beyond 7 or 8k because of my bloody shins! I'm really hoping getting a treadmill for half of the runs will ease the pressure on them and let me get a bit farther. I use knee supports, shin compression socks and use ice packs on my shins most nights to try to ease them but they just don't seem to get past it!

I've never had shin splints fortunately. I know they can be either bone related or muscle related. If you don't already, try a foam roller on your legs, especially the front and sides. I get very stiff IT bands from running which can cause knock on effects in other places. Warm up before you run as well, even if it's just a couple of minutes stretching it's better than nothing. Hope you find something that helps..

Ah, thanks, I've not tried a foam roller, just googled it and it looks like a kind of massage for them, I'll get one and give it a go. I noticed my shins and calves starting to ache after a run when I'd gotten up to around 5k 3x a week and made sure I was stretching and warming up better (as I didn't really before) but I did a 7k in the summer followed by a couple of 6ks and the next time I went for a run I just couldn't as soon as I moved from a walk. It was wierd, I just could not run on them, pretty gutting after going so well, plus I then had to walk home (I usually have a five min warm up walk) and ended up having to leave it about a month before I was able to put pressure on them. They're definately not as bad but it's meant I've be stuck at around 6-7k (although I've done two just over 8k just before XMas). I use icepacks on my shins most evenings on the sofa even when I've not run and compression socks when running, but I'm really hoping the cusioning on a treadmill will ease the pressure on them.

I ordered a JTX one in the end. They had similarly good reviews to the DKN but they're local to me and were helpful when I contacted them with some queries (unlike Sweatband who took 10 days to reply and were not very helpful!) Just have to wait until mid March for it!

Sounds really bad, I hope you can get it sorted. Let us know how the new treadmill is when you get it :)

Bump!

Looking at buying a treadmill soon, gt60 a little out of our price range, budget about £500 max. One in the link below looks good Any other suggestions?

Bump again,

About to pull the trigger, any alternatives?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Cheers, conscious of having a guarantee with it though

Bit more dough, but shows that a 3/4 grand treadmill can be found for peanuts
I'm confused, a £750 treadmill can be had for £799 ? :confused:

I though the same but I assume its 3 or 4 grand 😉

I'm confused, a £750 treadmill can be had for £799 ? :confused:
These are old stock probably very well used. But originally cost a lot more than what they're being sold for now. If we'll refurbished and you want it for light home use... their would last you years.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom