Advice on GC purchase please

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Andy.T, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Hi there,

Rather than drag two other threads off topic I thought I'd start my own. ;)

I am about to buy a GC and am leaning toward an import one due to the Prog Scan output however I have a couple of questions.

a) Where is the best source for import hardware and games? I have been to lik-sang.com but the games seem quite expensive, aren't they supposed to be cheaper than here in the UK?

b) Other than Rogue Squadron II (a given:devil:) what games really show off the GC's graphical capabilities. Also which of these support Prog Scan?

Cheers,

Andy Trump

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    1) There are a few places such as www.newageconsoles.com and www.goblingames.com. These have the systems already imported so you will not have to add import charges etc. You may want to look second hand.

For the games I only import for my GBA, if you buy from the UK or the Far East you will look at expensive prices, however if you use www.dvdboxoffice.com they are very cheap but can take a while to deliver (with computer games, I didn't pre-order Ogre Tactics and have now waited 2 months before it was shipped :( for DVDs they are fine). You can try Cdromshop.com I have ordered off them, no import charges but there are delivery charges.

2) Graphical prowess is not the biggest strongpoint of the GC. I would recommend Super Monkey Ball (simple but very clean and nice graphics), Eternal Darkness (graphics very good with good gameplay), Pikmin (nice cutesy graphics although short game), Super Mario Sunshine (need I explain!!!!).

3. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Thanks for that, I'm at newageconsoles now, is there a benefit to getting Japanese GC over a US one or vice versa?

Andy Trump

4. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy, chances are that they will be modded for both regions. If not then look for one that is. If that fails you can always do it yourself... The mod itself isn't difficult (you only need to add a switch) but to get there takes a bit of effort. Chances are though you won't be interested in some wacky japanese titles so if you have to choose between a region then the US would be the most logical choice.

As for import games... I've bought the bulk of mine from DVDboxoffice and yes sometimes they can take a while (although my Wave Race arrived in 4 days). You can of course pay for the shipping to speed things up. When I need a game urgently though lik-sang is my place since I wouldn't mind paying a little extra just to have Mario Sunshine ^_^

As for graphics, the Gamecube can produce images better than the PS2 but you have to remember that it hasn't been out as long. You should look at titles like Star Fox Adventures, Metroid Prime and the later levels of Eternal Darkness... All in prog.scan of course ^_^ Resident Evil is also attractive since it uses Full Motion Backgrounds with detailed 3D models for the characters.

If you think RL is good, just remember that it only took 8-9 months to make. Just think about the possibilities if they've spent a bit longer with the game... For my money though its best to keep an eye on Rare, since they always push the console to the limit.

5. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Lik-Sang are expensive and very import tax/VAT unfriendly. As such I no longer use them. DVDBox Office are rediculously cheap but their customer service and waiting times can be appalling to say the least. The last game I order from there was Resident Evil. It took 6 weeks to ship after release and still hasn't turned up to this day :eek:. The matter is currently in the hands of my credit card company - even though we're only talking £28 here :). DVDBoxOffice have their problems and I will not be using them again. They don't have a tracking facility or signature upon delivery postal system so if your order ends up lost, it's you word against theirs!

There are two places that I recommend above all others and they are:

http://www.ncsx.com

http://www.tronixweb.com

Both offer great customer service and very import friendly.

Last words of advice, definately go for an import Cube and if possible, make it a US machine modded to play JPN titles rather than the other way around. If you are interested in RGB from your import Cube, see my site or let me know ;).

6. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilte its true that DVDboxoffice can be poor for sending out videogames, its main business though is DVDs and on that base its quite good. Great news for me since they have a very large animé section too. I've spent over £600 with them so far, and there wasn't a problem with one order.

I totally agree with you though on the lik-sang front. The only plus thing is that it arrives quick but then you are greeted with a nice customs charge. Plus is the only decent place that I can find mod-chips on sale... Although they don't carry any PSone or DC chips anymore >_<

Tronix looks like a very decent site indeed and I might buy something from them one day. Its nice to see they still have some Virtual On games left in stock, but no Samba De Amego. If they sold consoles as well then the site would be top.

7. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Well, I ended up placing my order with Lik-Sang for the hardware and will get the games elsewhere as they are expensive. If newageconsoles web page will actually accept my order I will get a couple from there as they have some really discounted games.

Anyway I just got an e-mail from Lik-Sang saying they want an e-mail with a scan of my credit card (front and back).

Hello? Just how scary is that?! :eek:

I have ordered loads of stuff on-line in the last 5 years and I have never once had a problem. But then, I've never been asked to so something like that. Has anyone had to do this for a supplier before? Just how long was it before your credit card company phoned to say you'd exceeded you credit limit with mysterious purchases? :(

Or am I over-reacting, anyone had to do this and all was fine?

Andy Trump

8. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Andy

Sounds a bit dodgy that mate I have ordered loads from lik sang and never have they asked me for a scan of my credit card.

I would suggest you order from some where else.
    I got my modded USA machine 3 games 2 pads and 2 memory cards for £195 of ebay.

I would suggest you try them.

9. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is nothing to get concerned about as it's standard practise from some overseas companies. They request this on first orders sometimes and is a fraud prevention method. Many people have had to do this with Lik-Sang and I've had to do it with an Australian online dealer in the past. Don't worry about it. If you don't fax the scans, then the order will probably go through anyway - just might take a little longer. Be prepared to be hit with VAT/import duty charges when your Cube arrives because you ordered from Lik-Sang. Expect to pay a further 22% to 28% on the full purchase price inc. delivery.

10. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did the passport confirmation thing with no probs, since lik-sang seems to be the place to buy mod chips and other bits of hardware. I still wouldn't buy any videogames off them though since the net total is far too much. At least you have other options to buy import videogames, so all is well.

11. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Cube turned up ok from Lik-Sang (I payed via PayPal in the end). They were out of stock of RL so I ordered that from DVDBoxoffice, doh I should have listened to groundy. :(

RL didn't ship for a couple of days so I mailed them to find out what was going on - no answer, mailed again, no answer, cancelled order got RL from Ebay and a lot cheaper too. :)

Now for a really dumb newbie question, the Cube seems to be a Japanese version and my Japanese is a little rusty. Flipping the switch on the back makes all the menus English. Am I right in thinking that the switch on the back is there to tell it to be either a Japanese or US Cube? And that I should leave it alone unless I get any Japanese games?

I got US versions of Extreme G Racing and Sonic Adventures from New Age Consoles for 17.99 and 24.99 respectively brand new and sealed. That seems pretty darn good value but then they want 60 quid or something for RL, how bizarre anyway thanks for the pointers so far guys.

12. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Thats right mate the switch on the back is for selecting Jap or Usa.
    Effectively when set to Jap you have a Japanese GC when set to USA you have a US GC.

Never use the switch when the power is on,
    I do not know why but many people have advised me not to do it.
    My advice would be do not touch it unless you use a japanese game.

Just another note if you do get some Japanese games you will have to use a seperate memory card for them.
    You cannot save different regions on the same mc as it has to be formated for a specific region.

All the best fuzzybee and happy gaming.

13. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buying games to make the most of progressive scan is completely against the meaning of having fun:The true purpose of games. Gte super monkey ball instead and have far more satisfaction and enjoyment at the very slight sacrifice of not being able to have a pretty display for God knows how much money.

14. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But then many GC owners already have Monkey Ball... Plus I don't think anyone mentioned Progressive scan as the number one reason to buy a game. If I've missed it then quote it for me please. Most gamers know why they play videogames in the first place so its not a big issue, especially if they have been playing videogames for over a decade.

Besides... Theres nothing wrong about progressive scan. If theres a feature that you can use, then you are entitled to it. If not then it would be like buying a new Ferrari and to be told that you can only drive it in first gear... Its not fun... A simple waste of potential.