Advice on Freeview recorder to buy without internet connection

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Laurs, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Laurs

Laurs
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there!

I am looking for some advice/help in regards to which Freeview recorder box to buy.

It's for my mum who refuses point blank to have an internet connection in the house. (She doesn't have any real need for one).

I simply need a freeview box which will record programmes for her. I understand without the internet she won't be able to watch catch up ect. The only boxes I have come across seem to need one. She's happy with her freeview channel choice but often misses shows that are on too late or whileshe is watching another show.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    Just don't buy a Youview PVR as it would require an internet connection. Instead buy a Freeview PVR and just ignore the internet connection, should work fine.

3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,108
    A used good conditionHumax HDR-FOX-T2 will work just fine in fact the catch up options are out of date compared to newer devices (clearly not an issue here). The only bit likely to might wear out is the hard disk. If you can use a screwdriver installing a new one is very easy.

4. Laurs

Laurs
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I'm not very techie minded & don't know what a Freeview PVR Is? Can you suggest any brands.

I don't want an ultra expensive one. She has a relatively new freeview box but it doesn't record. I would rather buy new than second hand as it's part of her Christmas present.

Thanks again for any help.

5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,108
    A freeview box records from an aerial. Just like the one she has. Basically the newer ones rely heavily on the internet. Some cannot even be set up without this connection. Previously software and channel changes could be done either from an aerial or via the internet and applied using a usb stick. The update service via the aerial is discontinued. Basically you need a box with mature software like the box I suggested. Are you prepared to support whatever box you buy by downloading updates to your computer copying them to a usb stick. Probably OK if she lives very close not so if not.

Cost is not the issue. The most capable box recording wise is the Humax FVP-5000T without the internet it's not even going to get the software updated.

The other option is a Youview-box - no experience but fans say it is very responsive to the remote ( the FVP-5000T is not (the HDR-Fox-T2 is). but without the internet connection you cannot even set it up. Connect a HDR-Fox-T2 to a working aerial it will be set up and working in 10 minutes or so

Bear in mind you need a modern TV with a HDMI input to use most any recent box. What's the make and model of the TV that this pvr will be used with ?

Basically you need a PVR compatible with possibly a TV that does possibly not have digital video inputs. If the TV she has is Freeview-HD capable ( eg She can watch BBC-HD on channel 101). If Channel 101 is not viewable only BBC 1 SD on 1, then a new TV is likely to be required. Without this basic information hard to to help. Do you know what a HDMI socket and cable looks like ?